Forums Latest Members

Is this a hobby for the super rich?

1. bucksandreds Mar 3, 2019

Hello,

I’m a 30 something dentist who’s been eyeing my first Omega (speedmaster Pro) but haven’t been able to justify purchasing one. Am I just too darn cheap or are most of you multimillionaires? The reason I started this thread is I guess I want you guys to help me rationalize to myself why I should buy it.

Thanks in advance.

flw, robinhook, Seaborg and 6 others like this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 3, 2019

Here's how I look at it. Many folks (myself included) will spend several thousand dollars to go on a nice vacation. Money well spent, but when the vacation is over, what do you have? Memories and photos that no one wants to look at, lol. Spend several thousand dollars on a watch that you will enjoy for many, many years, potentially pass on to a someone you love, or at the very least, sell it for most of what you paid, is a great deal.

I say, get that Speedmaster Pro and wear it every day :thumbsup:

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 3, 2019

Treat yourself

Funny, as I leant my dentist this for a few months after we got talking watches when he used to look at my watches each time I saw him.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

He now has a few watches.

4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 3, 2019

If you have the funds to spare and it will bring you joy, buy it. Pretty sure most of us here are not in the millionaires club. My watches bring me joy every time I put one on...so totally worth it, end of story.

5. sturosen Mar 3, 2019

I don’t think most people are multimillionaires (I’m definitely not) but yes, you need enough disposable income to justify what can add up pretty quickly to a lot of money.

For what it’s worth, I’m about to turn 60 and only just started collecting in the last year (but have definitely made up for lost time). I wish I’d jumped in earlier.

I can only say that if you can afford it, you won’t regret a Speedy Pro. In the fullness of time, it’s a vacation or two you didn’t take and you’ll have it forever.

6. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 3, 2019

Guess it depends on aspirations. Cars could be considered a hobby for the super rich if you are only interested in Ferrari’s etc. But sometimes the real joy is in a reasonably priced old classic with lots of history.

Same with watches. There are plenty of collectible watches to fit most price brackets and the love of the history and workmanship is the same. Treat yourself, you only live once

i20rider, vbrad26, Caliber561 and 3 others like this.
  7. Screwbacks Mar 3, 2019

start buying one or two watches with porcelain dial. that's more in keeping with your profession which treats and replaces damaged teeth mostly with porcelain teeth.;)

kkt and Njnjcfp88 like this.
  8. ClarendonVintage Mar 3, 2019

It's cheaper than substance abuse.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 3, 2019

I had to pawn several watches just to pay my dental bill. Maybe you should think about taking watches in trade.

MTROIS, BatDad, yvrclimber and 44 others like this.
  10. jaguar11 Mar 3, 2019

Memories of fun and happy times with my family are beyond measure of money to me.....

11. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 3, 2019

As long as you make sure they have the correct crown. Lol :)

12. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 3, 2019

The best memories I have of my family growing up, and the ones of my kids when they were growing up, didn't cost very much...camping, hiking, a day at the beach. :thumbsup:

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2019

Memories over "things" any day - I agree completely.

Alphasports, vujen, Syrte and 18 others like this.
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 3, 2019

I need things to jog my memory.

15. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 3, 2019

You do know that memories and 'things' are not mutually exclusive, right? I didn't mean to denigrate memories, but I can see that my analogy was inarticulately stated.

robinhook, Pun, gostang9 and 2 others like this.
  16. Bp1000 Mar 3, 2019

Ask yourself how you got to where you are right now. In your work and your life.

Dentistry is not easy to accomplish.

That means you’ve worked hard, you have entered an honrouable profession, you are providing for whatever family you have.

You deserve to reward yourself.

There is a fine line between spending endless amounts on things we don’t need or just purchasing some things like this watch we can treasure, hand down or remind us of our hard work.

So getting onto the monetary side. Only ever buy what you can afford. But, just remember this, most people don’t save / invest 100% of their money wisely, which is fine. In today’s financial climate with low interest rates taking some money for a speedmaster and achieving a healthy discount is virtually the same as leaving that cash to hang around in an account. If ever you need some cash all you need to do is wait for the sale and you will get virtually all of your money back selling the speedy pro.

With regarding to knowing how much to spend on watches. The 33/33/33 rule works for me. After your obligations are met, invest 33%, save 33%, spend 33%. If your watch requires 3 months of 33% spend then you wait 3 months to get your watch and practice being frugal in the process.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2019

You don't have to spend a fortune to get something cool at all, vintage Longines and Omega make an excellent sub-$1000 or even sub-$500 entry point and there are a huge number of great Omegas in the sub-2k range.

Syrte, Pun, mz_cle and 4 others like this.
  18. bucksandreds Mar 3, 2019

I like your 33% rule. It’s basically save 2/3 of what you have left at the end of the month and spend 1/3. I’m spending maybe 5%-10% of what I have left at the end of the month. Maybe time to relax a little.

19. Omegafanman Mar 3, 2019

If you do your research and pick well it is a very rewarding experience, plus given enough time and inflation a good mechanical watch will hold some value and great memories which you can pass onto your relatives. Much of what we spend our money on is very transient and all the while time is ticking by for all of us.

P1160160.JPG
  20. bucksandreds Mar 3, 2019

I’m a science/space loving NERD. I grew up maybe 20-30 minutes from where Neil Armstrong did and I’ve met John Glenn. The watch that speaks to me is the Moonwatch. Over any other model and over any other brand. At mid $3000s through the grey market it’s still well within reach.

Speedy2254 and Mad Dog like this.