Forums Latest Members
  1. Boomer1 Sep 29, 2015

Hi all. I wanted to buy a watch for my husband for our 10th anniversary and a jewellery store where I live sometimes gets in vintage pieces as well. They found an Omega Geneve from 1973 (details below) and they will refinish it for me for about 1400$ CAN. It seems to be in pretty good condition on the outside anyways. I'd love to know if anyone could tell me if this is a good deal, if this is considered a good watch? I know Omega is a great brand but I don't know anything about this specific version. Thoughts?

Details:
    Omega Geneve
    Calendar/Day
    Silver dial
    Ref 166.0174 366.0833
    Circa 1973
    Automatic manual movement caliber 1022
    23 jewels
    28800 bph

2. redpcar Sep 29, 2015

Without a pic, it seems very expensive. When I think Omega Geneve watches, I think of much lower priced examples. Is this your only option or have you looked at other watches?

Boomer1 and Giff2577 like this.
  3. Hijak Sep 29, 2015

Seems like a very high price for a very common watch regardless of the condition. From a little research using the reference number, this is a $500 watch in the best of shape. As always pictures would be very helpful in helping you though.

Boomer1 likes this.
  4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 29, 2015

Take a look around the for sale forums here, honest sellers and you can still raise questions in a new thread if you have any concerns. Believe me, we would not "cover up" if there was anything unoriginal in a watch for sale here.
    Good luck, it's a lovely gesture from you.

Boomer1 and devnull like this.
  5. Boomer1 Sep 29, 2015

Thanks for the quick input. I have just started looking and wasn't sure if I would go new or find something vintage. Still weighing all of my options. But based on everyone's suggestions I think I'll keep looking. Here's a photo that I took - a bit fuzzy. 20150928_130430.jpg

6. redpcar Sep 29, 2015

Assuming that it is in good condition, this is one of the more desirable versions. $1400 Canadian is still too steep. I didn't realize the Canadian dollar was so cheap right now. About $930 USD? High side is $600 USD in my opinion but you are dealing with a retail store and they need to pay for rent and the lights. Check out our sales forum. I think you can find a better buy.... Please keep asking.

7. Boomer1 Sep 29, 2015

Yes. Sadly our dollar is in the dumps right now! Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to keep looking and I'll check out the forum too. Great advice.