Forums Latest Members

Is this a good buy..? - Truthful answers please :)

1. alanadel May 23, 2016

The most beautiful giant sized ( 36mm) Omega we have owned for a long time. From 1953, in spectacular 18 karat pink gold with a honeycomb dial.

Interestingly, this item has a French made case. Post-war, it was illegal to import gold into France for non-essential use until the mid-1950s, with the consequence that the major Swiss movement makers like Omega and Rolex had to ship uncased movements to their French agents, who would then case these in domestically made housings. Quality of this case is superb, and certainly the equal of anything coming out of Switzerland at the same time.

Totally original hand wound calibre 266 movement. Launched in 1950, this was part of the celebrated 30mm series that had made its debut in 1939. This series of movements was fitted to the pilots' watches supplied by Omega to the British RAF during World War II and is regarded by purists as possibly the finest hand wound movement series of all time, by any maker.

This movement is absolutely original with no changed parts. Its serial number dates this unit to 1953.
    We just don't see these oversized Omegas on a regular basis now. In the last twelve months, we have been lucky to own two in steel, but this is the first we have bought in 18 karat gold in perhaps five or six years. The watch is an outstanding item that will delight the advanced Omega collector.
    Priced at £2485 pounds.

omega-oversize-18k-53-10-2.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-09.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-08.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-07.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-06-2.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-05.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-04.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-03.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-02.jpg omega-oversize-18k-53-01.jpg

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 23, 2016

3. TNTwatch May 23, 2016

That's a big load of French gold bollocks, truthfully...;)

tamura and oddboy like this.
  4. calalum May 23, 2016

A truthful answer?? If that is your price, maybe the post needs to be moved to the wishful thinking/unrealistic seller posts.

chronos and ulackfocus like this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 23, 2016

So basically this is a sales pitch....subtle.

6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! May 23, 2016

Does that line actually work?

chronos likes this.
  7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2016

Hi

Been reading the threads about buying this watch or not ...

First at that stated ask price , I would not purchase .

I doubt that it is even a case made in France , no French hallmark first off and movement and dial not properly marked .

So for more then the last time it's not worth that time of money to me as a collector.

A better sales pitch .

Watch from I think a South America country with a domestic case that I think is 18 k rose gold and mark as such on outside of caseback . Large size and has some wrist presence . Please make a reasonable offer . ( 600 to 1000 used valve to the right buyer who likes it). This is in my opinion not a collectors grade time piece .

Good hunting

Bill Sohne

chronos likes this.
  8. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? May 24, 2016

I think you posted in the wrong place. I think you ment to post in the for sale forum.
    We all make mistakes I guess, especially with only 10 posts...oh I get it now.:whipped:

Giff2577, chronos, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  9. alanadel May 24, 2016

Thanks guys 'n' gals, I cancelled the payment and my bank never sent the money. Am I allowed to say who was trying to sell it to me?

10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 24, 2016

Did you just copy/paste the sales ad? It might have been clearer if you had explained that you were trying to buy this and cut some of the nonsense sales pitch out

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 24, 2016

Of course you are.

12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! May 24, 2016

@alanadel
    Id suggest you use a different style when asking a question about a listing. When you simple copy and paste an ad with no other details it appears that you are the seller. Quite frankly, I suspect you are the seller...but if you aren't then trying using some common sense when posting.

The fact that you only posted the sales copy and included the original hi res images attached separately makes this look like a for-sale ad, which is clearly not allowed on this forum.

Why don't you try editing your post if you aren't the seller so its clear what your intentions are.

I noticed you used this same odd style in several other forums.

chronos and Nobel Prize like this.
  13. alanadel May 24, 2016

Apologies, I'm new at this. I have a pal who was showing me a vintage watch on holiday and I got very excited by all of this. Here is the watch seller:
    http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com

They sent me some emails of new watches because I asked them to and this was one of the watches. I thought it looked amazing and was ready to buy it. After poking around online a lot I saw something that suggested that I post on a forum to get proper opinions. I'm very glad I did. Sorry for my format, I should've made it clearer what was going on. So, did I miss out on this watch or have I dodged an expensive bullet. It seems to me that I've dodged a bullet given some of the responses.

14. alanadel May 24, 2016

And yes, you're right I did exactly the same in another forum. Just one other - watchuseek. Again, apologies. So - where are reliable and trustworthy places to seek out vintage watches without losing my shirt?

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2016

Here, hoodinkee, hqmilton.

As to losing your shirt you get what you pay for. There are great pieces for all budgets but the more desirable ones are priced by the market so if you get a great "deal" you're probably not getting the real deal.

16. cristos71 May 24, 2016

You dodged a very large bullet indeed, £2485! :eek::eek::eek:

That watch was awful and I don't think worth more than £300 or £400 top line. I personally think the seller ( who although very eloquent and helpful sounding in his watch sales descriptions has quite a poor reputation if you do some digging ) possibly knows what a POS it is and purposely doesn't have it on his website, saving it for some poor, naive noob to get taxed with.

You can better have a look at the sales forum here.

17. omegastar May 24, 2016

Why is every thing pink gold except the hands. Maybe it is for blind people.
    Anyway for that money you can have mine, 37 mm without crown and a Swiss case.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Giff2577, sky21, tpatta and 3 others like this.
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 24, 2016

This seller is well known for over-restored and fantasy pieces at outrageous prices.

Bill Sohne is 100% correct. I recognize the hallmark. It is South American, probably from Argentina.

[​IMG]

It was common practice there in the 1950's to import steel cased Omegas and migrate the movements to locally made gold cases. These were generally underweight and not near the quality of a Swiss made Omega gold case.

One other thing, the dial was repainted rather recently. An original Omega dial will generally have the "Swiss Made" in small letters below the "6" marker.

You dodged a very expensive bullet.
    gatorcpa

19. alanadel May 24, 2016

Thanks! To Everyone!
    So glad. I literally stumbled on a site called something like - "a novice's guide to buying vintage watches" and one of the pieces of advice was to post on a forum and see what people thought. Very happy I did :)

20. TNTwatch May 24, 2016

This one as well as the OP's do not have the official Argentine or Brazilian "Industria" hallmarks. Nor do they have the same standardized styling or inside/outside positioning. They actually mimic Swiss hallmark styling - if the makers are not Swiss, why pretend to be Swiss while those countries already have their own standards? So I doubt if they really originated from those countries. Until there are documented provenance, the best could be said about them is they are unknown custom case - with unknown gold content from unknown makers.

PS: I think Bill just suggested another way to do a better sale pitch. He did not exactly say he believed the case was from South America.