Forums Latest Members
  1. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

Hi, I purchased this Speedmaster 105.003-65, but upon recieving it hit me that the dial and hands on this watch is way off.
    The seller claims that it is the real deal, but I am not convinced.
    Could anyone enlighten me if I am right or wrong about this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Hello.
    The bezel, case, pushers, crown all look OK. The dial looks like a repainted one and could possibly be from a different model altogether. The chrono hand is not right either. Can you get better pictures of the dial please? What is the movement like or inside in general? What is the serial range for the movement?
    Cheers Mick

3. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2013

I don't like the positioning of the hands on the head on shot. Ask for a shot with the hands showing 7:23.

ps - inserted the IMG code from Photobucket so the pictures show in your post.

4. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

At the moment this is all the pics I have available as I had to hand it in to fix the crown, that came loose when I tried to set the time for the very first time...
    Here is another one, but it's not any good I'm afraid. http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums...13A37E93-285-000000A0771DB731_zpsfff2c8e7.jpg

I will post more pics when I get it back.
    The movement should be a 321 and serial number is 228xxxxxxx, can give you the specific one when I get the watch back. But from what I understand that is the correct one for a 105.003-65

5. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Here is a 105 002 dial close up. roughly the same dial as a 105 003 but without the T SWISS T markings the edge of the dial at 6 oclock, 105 002s only have SWISS printed on them.
    Ignore the HR/MIN hands.
    The print on you dial looks a bit too thick, but it is hard to tell without clearer pictures and I cannot see any evidence of the TSWISST marking at 6 either.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Mick

Privateday7 likes this.
  6. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

I notice that the font on the subdials of the one I have is off compared to the one you refer to Mick, plus mine do not have the double dot's at 12.
    This is why I became suspicious in the start.
    Once I have it back I will post better pictures of it.

As it stands now I want to return it to the seller and get my money back but he do not agree on that as of yet

7. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Hi. It all depends how much you paid. 22 million on the movement sounds OK, did the seller disclose the refinished dial?
    A Omega archive might give you evidence of the correct movement or it might not, Omega archives have missing info sometimes.
    My gut feeling says the watch is probably all original with a repainted dial and incorrect chrono hand.The watch looks like it has had a pretty hard life and has been touched by clumsy hands in the past.
    Another dial and hands will transform it but that will cost £400-700 depending on condition of the dial and then you need to get them fitted.
    Like I said it depends on how much the watch was purchased for. The seller should accept a return if the problems were not disclosed.
    Cheers Mick

8. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

I paid 3799,- Euros for it, and before buying it I asked if they could guarantee me 100% that is was genuine.
    I guess I am to blame as well for not doing better research prior to buying it

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 10, 2013

Dial is refinished so unless the price was really low I would return it just on that basis - as it stands it's value is for its parts.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 10, 2013

And that price is too high even if the dial was original. I would say with the repainted dial it is worth no more than $1800-2000.

11. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

The seller wants me to ship it back to him, then he will decide if I broke off the crown or not, if he finds out that I have broken it off then I will not get the refund (and we all know what the outcome of that will be).
    I have opened a dispute on PayPal, but so far he has not replied via PayPal, only direct communication with me. So I guess he knows he don't have a strong case when it comes to the end.

12. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

I have bought watches in the past that I have not researched, I guess giddiness and excitement takes over, you are only human. Send the watch back and you will probably use this experience has a good lesson for the future.
    Good luck with it.
    If you need pointing in the right direction for a good example it is best ask on a forum like this, I am sure someone will help a fellow Omega enthusiast.
    Cheers Mick

13. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

Thank you all for all the feedback and info. I will keep you posted on what the outcome will be

14. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Tell the seller you only want to communicate with them through the dis pute system and not any other messages.
    Did the crown and stem come out together as one piece?
    Thanks Mick

15. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

It came out in one piece, I wounded it up, then pulled out the crown to set the time. At first the hands where moving but then it became very noisy and rattling. Then I had the crown and stem in one hand and the watch in the other...

16. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2013

Send the watch back regardless of what the seller says. You can tell eBay you shipped (have proof including signature confirmation the seller received it) it and you will get your money back. It doesn't matter why either - even if the seller has a legitimate reason not to refund you, eBay will take your side.

...... which sucks for sellers that are honest. The seller will lose the dispute and get screwed on being refunded the fees if he fights this. Believe me, I was screwed over by a buyer and then eBay screwed me too.

In this case eBay's policy is protecting you.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 10, 2013

I am sorry to tell you that the dial is refinished, badly. The subdial numbers are too small, lack of "Swiss" markings. The hands are perhaps also repainted, badly.

in my opinion any seller who represents that watch as original is either incompetent or wicked.

Now on a recent trip to Paris, it was apparent that European dealers think all 321's start at 5000 euros, or so it seemed to me. So I can see why you would have been attracted by the price, if that really is what they are asking.

I can never get my head around European asking prices.

I wish you the best of luck.

oh and don't take any rubbish from him about you breaking the crown.

18. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

I found the watch on Chrono24.com and then contacted the seller directly from there. But I insisted on using PayPal when paying so I guess I have some sort of security there

19. Pondus72 Jun 10, 2013

I'm not taking it at all, the watch is after all 48 years old, so it could have happened at any time. All in all I find that to be a minor detail compared to the rest of it

20. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Ok. If the stem came out with the crown it is probably not your fault. Either the screw that holds the setting lever is loose or the setting lever itself is worn or maybe the stem is worn. I'm not a watchmaker but unless you are the hulk the crown and stem should not just pull out. It is hard selling vintage watches though, you never know when something will go.
    The fact that the dial was not described as refinished should be enough to send it back.
    Cheers Mick