Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo Aug 13, 2015

I’ve been looking for a first generation Globemaster for quite some time but these seem to be a tough find. For those unsure of what I’m talking about, here is a great summary prepared by Desmond and available on his site:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Globemasterpost.pdf

Production numbers were limited and many of the “good” ones have already been claimed so it’s been a long hunt. I resigned myself to accepting a less than pristine example but I couldn’t even clear this low hurdle. Nothing ever appeared on my radar. That is until a week ago when I noticed a blurry picture on a major auction site which caused me to pause for further inspection. The seller had no clue what he was pushing but I had a hunch through the grainy, faded pictures that I may have stumbled onto something real. A last second snipe was placed and I got out for a pretty good price on a 2652-354. The watch was delivered today. Here’s what I have:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First, I realize this violates all three points of the condition, condition, condition guidance. The two-tone dial has some marks and the case is in good but not great condition. The medallion looks very nice though. Everything else seems to check out. To my knowledge, the script is correct, “Swiss” is at the bottom, the movement number looks right (in fact, within hundreds of two Globemaster examples I found online), and the dial variation matches many examples. I can’t open it now but I will look for the OXG on the movement tonight (the movement photo is from the seller). The star looks a little off center and the crown is wrong but I don’t see any other immediate red flags. What am I missing? How’s it look to your eyes?

tamura, micampe, Giff2577 and 2 others like this.
  2. TNTwatch Aug 13, 2015

It's a beauty! And a score!

3. wwhntr Aug 13, 2015

Hi Selbo!
    I like the early Globemasters also and your watch appears to be a fairly clean example compared to the four in my collection. (I've seen very few pristine examples!)The only question I have is about the dial. I have difficulty sometimes discerning original from refinished. I won't pass any judgment until other, more qualified members chime in.

Edited Aug 13, 2015
  4. TNTwatch Aug 13, 2015

Your pictures are not showing. What question do you have about Selbo's dial?

5. wwhntr Aug 13, 2015

Can you see pictures by clicking on links?

As I said, I sometimes have difficulty determining whether a dial has been refinished. Does the print on Selbo's dial appear thick/heavy? Hopefully original...just asking for expert opinions.

6. Selbo Aug 13, 2015

Four?! Man, I must be doing something wrong. I would love to see your examples but I can't get the links to work. I agree the font looks a little fuzzy on mine when you magnify the picture but I attribute that more to me holding an Iphone than anything else. I can try to set up a tripod later to have a clearer picture. Still, I will definitely listen to the opinion of others. If the dial is wrong it's wrong. I'm not going to be the "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" guy. Thanks for your assessment.

7. TNTwatch Aug 13, 2015

Just an error when I clicked the links.

The print appears Ok. You can see some aging on the dial, and the radium lume plots are still there at those markers, along with on the hands.

Look forward to seeing your examples.

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 13, 2015

That movement may not have an OXG on it if it were not sold originally in the US.

Tom

9. wwhntr Aug 13, 2015

Ok, please edit/delete your post and I'll post later.

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

Looks like a very nice example to me! If the case was a little better I would also have considered bidding. As far as I know, the earliest Globemasters were the 2648s with Cal. 352s.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

Off the top of my head can't recall seeing a 2648 globemaster though I may have forgotten or may have missed it. I do recall (and own) 2652 globemasters with the earlier cal. 352.

12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

I have this one :)

image.jpg

tamura, Selbo and TNTwatch like this.
  13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

14. wwhntr Aug 13, 2015

Capped 2652 352RG
    image.jpg
    Capped 2652 354 textured dial
    image.jpg
    Capped 3652 354
    image.jpg
    Capped 2652 354 textured dial
    image.jpg
    Spare Globemaster dial picked off ebay
    image.jpg

Comments appreciated on condition of watches and originality of dials.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

All dials look good except for #2 which looks like it had some "touch up work" done - I'm guessing the dial was chemically cleaned with the loss of some of the letters and lines and these were added on.

16. Selbo Aug 13, 2015

Yep, the only secrets left in this world are true barn finds. I should have known my new purchase was spotted by others. And yes, a 2648 with a 352 was at the top of the wish list. My seat may be way in the back but at least I now finally have a seat at the Globemasters club.

17. Selbo Aug 13, 2015

Oh, and it makes me feel better that you considered bidding. You have a keen eye for the good ones so now I realize I wasn't too far out on the limb.

18. TNTwatch Aug 13, 2015

The 4th one has the best look, but I like the unshown 352 movement. The 2nd dial just has some degradation around the printing that makes it look fuzzy, but looks untouched to me. It has the same font type as Selbo's dial.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

If you click the picture, there is a nice big close-up. The patina on the dial looks just beautiful to me. I think the crown could be original to the watch. These US models sometimes have different combinations:

Compare with this one:
    http://www.batei.com/globemaster.chrono.gc.htm

On the movement, the "OXG" should look rather crude, like it was hand punched:

[​IMG]

The watch looks good to me.
    gatorcpa

Selbo likes this.