Forums Latest Members

Is this a big deal? (It kind of bugs me)

1. Just_Kino Feb 21, 2018

Hey all, first off, hello! This is my first post to your community and I have to say, what I've seen here is fantastic. I've already learned a wealth of great information just lurking for a few weeks.

Anyways, on to my question. I brought my new speedy to a local jeweler recently to get a bracelet removed and a strap put on. I would have done it myself but the pins were giving me some grief. When I received the watch back, there were some scuffs and scratches on the case back. Now, I know that that isn't a huge deal as no one can see it, but I'd like to get your guys take on it as its kind of bugging me. Given the pictures below, can you let me know if its possible to get these out? Or if I should just roll with it and not worry about it. It could have just been the bracelet rubbing against the back but I'm not too experienced with Omega yet so I'd like to get the community analysis.

(Also, check out the sweet new Bulang and Sons strap, I love this thing...)

Thanks!

20180214_121731[1].jpg 20180214_121754[1].jpg 20180221_171043[1].jpg 20180221_171108[1].jpg 20180221_170535[1].jpg
    mikechi22 likes this.
  2. Shailor Feb 21, 2018

I'd take it back and get him to order you a new case

3. R3D9 Feb 21, 2018

I wouldn’t give it a second thought. Sucks that he wasn’t more careful, but there’s your incentive to learn to do it yourself moving forward.

I totally understand being put out by it, but look at it this way - you’ve got your first marks... now you can wear your watch and enjoy it without maintaining it in pristine condition.

Mtek, Foo2rama, Just_Kino and 5 others like this.
  4. jimmyd13 Feb 21, 2018

That's carelessness and worthy of a complaint to the battery-swappers who changed the bracelet. You can decide for yourself if it's worth the effort and what sort of response you might expect from them. If they offer to polish the case for you, DECLINE! They've proven they can't remove a strap, I wouldn't let them put that near a polishing wheel.

However, the scratches don't look deep from the photos. Spend a few £/$'s on a cape cod cloth and give it a gentle clean one evening. Do it slowly, carefully and avoid the bevels. The cape cod cloth will take most, if not all, of those marks out.

5. R3D9 Feb 21, 2018

I could be wrong about this, but given the caseback has a brushed/matte finish, I wouldn’t think you’d want to apply a Cape Cod cloth on it, no? Isn’t a Cape Cod only if use with polished finishes?

Just_Kino, frederico and jimmyd13 like this.
  6. jimmyd13 Feb 21, 2018

No, you're right... there is a chance of "softening" the finish... better to not take a cape cod cloth to that area.

Just_Kino likes this.
  7. Bernardino Feb 21, 2018

And if you go near the lugs avoid going over the serial number ::facepalm1::

8. 77deluxe Feb 21, 2018

Well, we have all seen much worse done.

9. Just_Kino Feb 21, 2018

Thank you for all of the replys! There's some good information in here. Do you guys think that the best option would be just to leave it be? It seems like getting the scratches out of the brushed areas would be super tricky.

10. Seacow Feb 21, 2018

IMHO I will just leave it as is... no big deal...you can't see it when you wore it anyway...

repoman, Foo2rama, R3D9 and 1 other person like this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 21, 2018

Oh, new watches... how we hate you at times!

I'd just leave it alone. If you use the watch as intended, there will be more dents and dings. That one of the things we love about worn watches.

Mad Dog, repoman, Spacefruit and 3 others like this.
  12. Canuck Feb 21, 2018

Unless you took a picture of what you seem to imply was a pristine case back to prove that the tech who changed the strap for you left the scratches, you likely don’t have a leg to stand on. There’s as much likelihood that some of the marks could have happened when the bracelet was removed. It appears to me as though the printing is on the surface of the back, not applied into letters etched into the back. Trying to minimize the scratches would compromise the lettering.

nmttd2 likes this.
  13. R3D9 Feb 21, 2018

This would by my daughter’s advice to you:

14. Just_Kino Feb 22, 2018

Hahaha well said, thanks for the reassurance all!

R3D9 likes this.
  15. nmttd2 Feb 22, 2018

Just let it go, I would be mad as hell if they scratched the outside lugs. I've seen people's watches where they had changed swatch and their lugs are scratched the hell up. It's horrible. These scratches on the back do not look even bad. Learn to do it yourself and you'll feel alot better.

16. frederico Feb 22, 2018

Hate to be a party pooper here but how did you store your watch when you weren't wearing it? It's pretty hard to scratch a caseback just changing a bracelet/strap, and honestly the scratches look more like they occurred laying the watch down on it's back with a bracelet fitted.

Is it possible that you just didn't notice them until the bracelet was off and the caseback more exposed due to now being on a strap?

17. frederico Feb 22, 2018

BTW they don't look particularly deep scratches so i wouldn't be too bothered...

Just_Kino likes this.
  18. Alphasports Mar 20, 2018

I'd leave it as-is until your first service in a few years, then Omega Authorized Service will polish it to as-new (within reason of course) as part of the program. Just got my 15 year old Seamaster back yesterday, can't tell it isn't brand new.

19. gdupree Mar 20, 2018

By the time that watch is well worn, it will have far deeper blemishes than that. So much so that those light scratches wont even be visible. Shame that your watch maker did that, but I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, you can't put the metal back, so you don't have much of a choice ;)... as others have said, removing more metal by polishing it would hurt our feelings far worse!

20. Reddy_Kilowatt Mar 20, 2018

Wear it.