Forums Latest Members

Is this a american longines case?

1. Skrotis Nov 6, 2015

sorry for bad photos, found this watch going trowh some boxes its produced 46 but the case makes me a little bit unshore.grateful for any info image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2015

It's not a Swiss case, and it's a redial. Apex was an American case maker back then that subcontracted to US brands like Waltham and Illinois, and later fashioned cases for Swiss brands who imported their dials / movements into the US to be installed in American cases. This saved on tariffs.

JohnLy and Skrotis like this.
  3. Skrotis Nov 6, 2015

Thx for info i never seen a apex case before. Regarding the dial im confident that this is original because the breguet numerals are in gold and there is no paint on them and i belive nobody would renovate a 30mm dial and take of al of the numerals.
    It came in some boxes i bought from a old watchshop.

What makes you belive its a redial.?

4. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2015

The font of LONGINES is wrong and the letters are unevenly spaced.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 6, 2015

I'm not convinced it's a redial. I'm thinking it's a ladies model with that sapphette style crystal. Otherwise, the crystal is certainly not correct.

Does it say "Swiss" at the bottom of the dial?
    gatorcpa

setible and Skrotis like this.
  6. Skrotis Nov 6, 2015

Belive its my bad photos try to do a new one tomorrow on the dial in daylight .belive its sold as a womens watch whit this crystal and movment nr 9100000 but whitout this crystal its a nice 29.5 mm watch. The breguet numerals have a beutiful patina and the dial shows some aging in a nice way.

7. Skrotis Nov 6, 2015

No swiss made on the dial but my impression from this time is that not every dial have swiss made if im not misstaken

setible likes this.
  8. Skrotis Nov 7, 2015

Tryed to make some better photos on the dial but a rainy morning and my camera skils is not optional.

Is there a way to date apex cases? Cal 10L and sernr 710000 and movement marked LXM and case nr 946045.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 7, 2015

Serial number on watch dates from 1946-7. There is no way to precisely date the cases. Apex went out of business decades ago and left no records behind.

"LXW" was Longines's import marking for the US market. That's a good sign that the watch and case always went together.

Looks consistent with other Longines watches from that era.

Nice find,
    gatorcpa

setible, Syrte and Skrotis like this.
  10. setible Jul 29, 2021

The dial is original, the writting Longines is ok.
    In those years Longines will only gave the movement. Everything else was made on america soil.
    As they say when you ask about an LXW import code movement : " [...] to the company Longines-Wittnauer Watch Co., INC., which was at that time our agent for the USA.

The other parts of the watch were produced locally under license from Longines. Unfortunately, since the relevant archives are not in our possession, we are unable to provide any further information on your model."
    Back to the writting "Longines": it is 100% legit. I saw countless models written like that. Is no mistake. This is a mark of american written dials.

11. bubba48 Jul 29, 2021

I think you are six years late

12. setible Jul 29, 2021

i know. some guys might get the wrong idea reading this post, so, yeah, i had to answer.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  13. bubba48 Jul 29, 2021

:thumbsup: