Forums Latest Members
  1. Grimaldi Mar 15, 2018

Hi Everyone.
    This is my first ever posting here on the forums. I am a huge fan of Omegas generally. My father owns a 1973 Omega Yachting Seamaster. I hope to inherit it someday. In the meantime, I own an Omega dress watch, I think? I inherited it in 1992. It belonged to my partner's fathers cousin. I tried to research its age and found a list that I hope uses the number on the outside case back. I think it was made in 1947. The man it belonged to was a Captain in the Royal Navy and then worked for the government. He was awarded the OBE. As far as I know, he owned it for about 40 years, so from about 1952. He wore it every day. The strap had fallen apart so I replaced it. The strap I removed was not an Omega strap. The case is only 30 mm across. Not big, but he was a very slight man. You will see that the watch face is tired and the hands appear to have a blue sheen. I opened the back and you will see the number inside. Part of it is hidden under one of the tabs and reads 9585500. The writing reads OMEGA SWISS JEWELS. There are service marks inside the case back. They read FO559/W51, M/5 B82979 12/66, VW 12/68, JS/76, 7.2.89. I think as he got older, he probably didn't have it serviced so often. It still works perfectly well and I have worn it a couple of times. It is a bit small though. I have never managed to find the exact watch to compare, so could the members please tell me if I am correct about its age?
    om1.jpg om2.jpg om3.jpg om4.jpg om6.jpg om7.jpg om8.jpg
    Thank you in advance for your help with this.
    Antony

2. Gordon Heavyfoot Mar 15, 2018

felsby likes this.
  3. COYI Mar 15, 2018

To me it looks like the dial has been repainted some time ago. That may explain why you haven't been able to find another one exactly like it.

4. ClarendonVintage Mar 15, 2018

Non Magnetic?

And yes, dial seems repainted.

5. Grimaldi Mar 15, 2018

Thanks for the replies so far. The dial is dirty and the glass is quite scratched. Being very green when it comes to 'repainted', do you mean it is fake? or the fact that someone has repaired the face by painting it?
    Is the Non-Magnetic a false inclusion?

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 15, 2018

Non Magnetic is the term that Omega used on some vintage dials.
    Anti Magnetic is not.

7. COYI Mar 16, 2018

I am saying that it could be the original dial but it has been refinished/repainted at some point - probably many years ago.

One of the biggest 'tells' is the way the seven bleeds into the sub-seconds area. Also the sub-seconds dial doesn't look like it would have done when it left the Omega factory. I think the printing would have been closer to the edge.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 16, 2018

Neat piece. But the dial was reprinted aka redialed at some point most likely.

This was very very common. It’s not fake just not worth as much to collectors. It’s cool looking and a great family piece of history. Find a good watch maker to service it and wear it proudly!!!

What’s its diameter not including the crown?

Love those blued hands!!

Grimaldi and COYI like this.
  9. Grimaldi Mar 16, 2018

Thanks for all the comments. It is great to learn about that sort of stuff. The hands appear black straight on, but appear blue when tipped at an angle with the light catching them. The diameter without the crown is 30mm.

Once again thanks for all your help with this. I look forward to being part of the Omega Forums. You only learn from the experts and I know more about my Omega in a day than I have for the last 26 years. :)

Dr No and Foo2rama like this.
  10. mac_omega Mar 16, 2018

Sorry to partly disagree

The bleeding of the number 7 into the subdial is definitely not a proof that the dial has been redone I have observed this on quite a few NOS dials.

However, you are right about the large distance of the subdial hashes to the rim which is a good hint.

Foo2rama and COYI like this.
  11. Hamish02 Mar 16, 2018

Does it matter that the logo isn't straight or are my eyes deceiving me? Did someone mention that, might have missed if you did?

I am still learning myself so its interesting reading comments and what people pick up on. I have a watch myself that could possibly be a redial, however I've had varying feedback and I'm not sure - basically I've learned that if you're not an expert or a proper collector but you like a nice looking watch, then wear it and enjoy it! Try not to get too bogged down in the 'rules' but learn with interest.

COYI likes this.
  12. chipsotoole Mar 16, 2018

The writing is squint! Clearly an indication of tempering...whetehr you want it is up to you...Your wrist your watch.
    If you do get into collecting watches it will bug you in the future!

13. mac_omega Mar 16, 2018

you are completely right about that.

I have checked it with photoshop - had to rotate the photo slightly before I draw the lines - judge by yourself

om1.jpg

14. Grimaldi Mar 16, 2018

As soon as I saw the photoshop image I got the watch out. There appears to be an illusion going on because I think the dial is slightly twisted round in the case. I put a straight edge across the 10 and 2, and then moved it down a notch using the minute markers. The logo fell exactly in line with the straight edge. I hadn't observed the dial being twisted around inside before. Great observation. Thanks.

15. Grimaldi Mar 16, 2018

Thank you so much for all your expertise and honest comments. I shall always keep hold of it and on occasion wear it.
    Is straightening the dial an easy job, or is that something I should have a jeweller do?
    One other observation from my self, only because I spotted it, is there any particular reason for using different numerical fonts? The dial and sub-dial numbers are different styles.

16. Grimaldi Mar 17, 2018

Good evening.
    I felt I needed to jump back in and apologise to Hamish02 and mac_omega for saying the logo and word OMEGA were straight on the dial. I now need to tell them they are correct in saying they are at an angle. I had the dial out of the case which made it easier to place a straight edge across it. Would the logo and wording have been originally like that, or is it a case of a second placing and been put on wrong? The one thing that pleases me is that my Omega is not a fake.
    Many thanks