Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Nov 2, 2016

An upcoming auction for a beat-up speedy and i thought i'd ask the experts, the latest speedmaster101 states the movement should be is around the 2544XXXX number.

Your opinions are appreciated

Thanks,
    Ed.

Ps. Can this be brought back from the dead?
    original (1).jpg original (2).jpg original.jpg

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 2, 2016

Hi there,

What's the movement number of the watch in question? And what do you mean a 145.003 case?

25,446,xxx would be ok for a 105.003-65 (which may have been referred to internally within Omega as 145.003, but not stamped in the caseback). Its also ok for a 145.012.

As to the watch in question, it's pretty beat up. Movement could probably be sorted by a WM with a Parts account and some experience. The main problem here is the dial. That dial will probably never be pretty, but it would look better with a new crystal.

Where is there price relative to the Price Chart?

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2016

That one even I'd be cautious on, could end up a total money pit given the moisture that's no doubt gotten in, just because the movement pic looks ok on the surface doesn't mean it'll be rosey when your watchmaker gets it all apart.

Jwit and oddboy like this.
  4. Just Livin Nov 2, 2016

That dial looks in a pretty bad state. At best it could end up to be a really unattractive working piece.
    Looks indeed a bit of a money pit. That missing crown makes me wonder what has happened to the movement anyway.
    Best feature to me right now is the bracelet.
    Yet have no doubt it will do well at auction, as they always appear to:thumbsdown:

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 2, 2016

Ha ha well I like it.

I am a sucker for watches that show their history.

But as the general tone of the thread has said, it's about money.

Several years ago this would have been avoided by everyone except the likes of me who would buy for say, $1500 spent half again on restoring it (not caring bout replacing glass, pushers, crown or even hands but i would try to keep them for the look) and end up with a really interesting looking, fully functioning watch for $2500.

Fun.

Now it will probably go to a panicky newbie (oh my god I'll never find another speedmaster again!) for $6,000 to 8000 and then he will have to find a parts account watchmaker who is sympathetic to vintage, and wait the inevitable wait while it is fixed. Then he will end up with a shagged looking watch that while it would definately give me, and the likes of me, enjoyment - the cost will take away much of that pleasure, because it will always be a shagged watch.

Shagged watches are only fun if they are cheap.

Edward53, Stewart H, kkt and 4 others like this.
  6. Just Livin Nov 2, 2016

Would agree with that.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2016

Totally agree if it's cheap but at auction it will likely end up being silly

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. RyMoeller Nov 2, 2016

I'd have a go at it. ;)

That watch looks like it's had a single owner who purchased it and wore it everyday until it was dead. The top of the movement looks pristine- I doubt it was ever serviced by the owner- none of the screw heads even look scratched. Water has gotten in though and that makes it a real gamble. The pivots may be ruined on every gear (you can't see under the dial) and the hour recorder and keyless works might be a rusted mess.

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. Davidt Nov 2, 2016

I love watches like this.

All that crud and grime is like a wax seal for originality (usually).

Spacefruit likes this.
  10. robocaspar Nov 2, 2016

Looks like a rough one. I wouldnt want to see what's happening under the dial with those rust spots on the hands.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

11. Teunan87 Nov 3, 2016

It already has been said: depends on the price. If I could buy it for a reasonable price I would only put a new Hesalite on it and have the movement serviced/running again. A new crown is not a real issue for me. This is a replacement-part and this one has no crown at all, so it's an easy decision. And, by the way, I've seen more damaged DON90 bezels...

Spacefruit and EdtheAussie like this.
  12. M'Bob Nov 3, 2016

Only watches?

13. tyrantlizardrex Nov 3, 2016

I think you're absolutely spot on... it's in the UK... and will go silly... I'd take a punt on hitting £4k.

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex Nov 4, 2016

That escalated quickly... he opened at £3k, it sat at £4k for a couple of minutes and then two bidders pushed it to £5k + 18% comission.

Seems like a high price to pay for a watch in this condition.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 12.44.45.png

15. prontoprint Nov 4, 2016

Apologies for starting separate thread on this watch, should have known it was being discussed ;-) ( Now deleted thread - thanks Mods )
    I too was shocked by how much it sold for, think I'll stick with my current collection and stop playing at the auction houses. Might start tapping up the elderly neighbours in the street, best chance of coming across one.

Edited Nov 4, 2016
    EdtheAussie likes this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Nov 4, 2016

The lots either side were also on the high side... gold plated geneves hitting £400 including commission... eBay is still cheaper than that.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 4, 2016

Well it's the dollar.

All in it's going to be an interesting watch with a great look.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Nov 4, 2016

Very true!

As I was saying the other night... I think this is a boat that I have well and truly missed. ;)

19. Davidt Nov 4, 2016

I'm not surprised it went so high.

Condition, condition, condition is right, but you can add originality to the mantra. Watches like this will always attract the buyers that favour originality over a dealer prepared watch, and it only takes two to go head to head.

It will improve significantly with a service, clean and new crystal, but unfortunately those plots will always be green.

Given the above, I hope it's gone to a collector. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer snagged this. If you add a sympathetic relume and aged hands to the service, you could have an attractive and expensive watch to the right buyer.

OmegaCal66 likes this.
  20. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 5, 2016

I had an absentee bid at 3,750 pounds, but frankly wouldn't value it higher than that. It's going to need work...lots of work. It will be cool as a beater straight lug (which is why I had a hopeful low bid in), but when you think about buying something at an auction and wanting it to hold value in future years, I don't know that I could look someone in the eye and say this one would fit in that category. Would be very curious to know if it went to an OF member.