Forums Latest Members
  1. devnull Nov 4, 2015

ac106 likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 4, 2015

Looks like an older redial to me. Never heard that story about "Robot Watch Co." before. I've seen many, many military Omegas and none have those markings on the movement. Could have been war surplus maybe?

Unusual movement, but IMO the price is double the value.

Too many questions here.
    gatorcpa

3. Pvt-Public Nov 4, 2015

I can find no connection at all with the US military. In fact this military publication (War Department Technical Service Manual TM9-1575 dated 6 April 1945) specifically states that all wristwatches are US made. I think I even have an earlier one but it basically says the same thing.
    cover.PNG specs.PNG
    In any case why someone would scrape off Omega and scratch in Robot Watch company is beyond me.

Edited Nov 4, 2015
  4. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Nov 4, 2015

Redone dial for sure.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 4, 2015

The only thing I could find on the Robot Watch Co. states that they imported cheap Swiss movements and put them in their cases with the Robot logo on the dial. No mention, whatsoever, about anything that supports the story in the listing.

6. Pvt-Public Nov 4, 2015

In my opinion if the seller is willing to spout that BS that Robot imported swiss watches for the US Army, the whole ad is suspect.

efauser likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 4, 2015

Omega did supply some watches to the US Army (Ref. 2179 and 2384). These were stamped as such on the back. These were already existing referenced that were widely distributed to the public. These military pieces were adjusted at the factory to function as chronometers, although there was no outside testing done.

image.jpeg

However, these watches weren't produced until well after D-Day and possibly after the issuance of the above mentioned manual.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. TexOmega Nov 4, 2015

Not exactly, I have a EP4 movement with Robot Watch Co imprinted like this example. I recall reading that there were many post WWII "entrepreneurs " with access to govt funds to start businesses. Selling watches happened to be one. And many price points from which to choose. Robot was one of these enterprises.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 5, 2015

With Omega scratched out and Robot Watch Co. scratched in?

10. TexOmega Nov 5, 2015

No, nothing scratched out on mine.

Robot EP4 (Copy).JPG

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 5, 2015

Yours seems to fit what I found out about them. Unlike the OP, it certainly doesn't have Omega stamped on the movement and scratched out and Robot Watch Co. scratched in.

12. Pvt-Public Nov 5, 2015

Supposedly to keep you from getting your Omega serviced by Omega.

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 5, 2015

Based on what I've read and experienced first hand, that may not be a such a bad thing.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 5, 2015

You have a point. I've never seen a EP bridge that wasn't signed by them. Could it be that "Robot" ground the signature down on that piece, hand engraved it, and put it back?

They would not be able to do this on that caliber of Omega, since the brand is on the main plate.

Anything is possible.
    gatorcpa

15. TexOmega Nov 5, 2015

On this one, the edge bevel across the pieces seems to be uniform. Pretty labor intensive for a company on a thin margin to go to that much trouble.

But as you say, anything is possible.