Forums Latest Members
  1. Mike Sep 27, 2015

Hey guys/gals,

Hope this is the right forum for this. I am purchasing my first Omega from a private seller and just want to make sure it looks legit to you all. It's my first luxury watch so I want to make certain.

Couple quick questions:

1. Is it real?
    2. What would a fair price be to you all, on a 2531.80 in this condition?
    3. How often does it need to be serviced and how much does servicing cost?
    4. Can I assume a watch of this caliber will last my lifetime with regular service?

Photos attached.

Thanks so much everyone!

omega1.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg omega4.jpg omega5.jpg
  2. Maximus84 Sep 27, 2015

I am by no means an expert in that model, or even Omega for that matter, but I'm learning enough to hopefully offer sound advice (the real pros will be along soon I'm sure and will either back up my assertions or shoot me down!).

1. It looks real to me. Nothing obvious at least to my eyes. The only thing I would question are the hands - are they really black? Pretty sure they're meant to be silver in colour.

2. Not familiar with this model so can't really help with prices, but sites like watchrecon have often been quoted for good market prices.

3. Servicing is usually required every 4/5 years or so I believe. Costs vary - Omega is generally much more expensive than your independent watchmaker - Omegas prices can be found on their website (my internet connection is painfully slow and Omega's website is pretty content rich So I can't post an exact link but start at omega watches.com)

4. Yep, with due care, attention and servicing, this watches will last a lifetime.

3. shutterlife Sep 27, 2015

Looks real

Prices vary, so you will need to a little home work

Service at omega is about $550

Will last past your lifetime and the next with proper care.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  4. Mike Sep 27, 2015

Thanks for the reply! I am hoping that it is just the light, but now you have my wondering.

This look any better?

omega6.jpg
  5. Mike Sep 27, 2015

Ouch! That is about 1/3 - 1/4 the cost of the watch!

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2015

Way better than many, Speedmaster reduced servicing can cost 70-100% of the cost lol

7. YurRomeo1 Sep 27, 2015

Hi Mike,

The watch looks genuine to me... The hands are silver and I am sure they just look black / dark grey due to reflections. Be aware of what appears to be corrosion on the hour hand by the round marker and possible scratches on the crystal between the hour hand and the date (on the first picture).

Best wishes and good luck!

8. PatrickJ Sep 27, 2015

Current Omega service is £340 from Omega boutique London quote. But at least they will make sure it is running proper and not a fake. If they are any imperfections they can be sorted, these things have to be serviced regardless of the cost. Or contact @stefan on the forum he is an expert watchmaker that did a grand job on my vintage Omega. Not sure if your in London he is in London.

Hijak likes this.
  9. Mike Sep 27, 2015

Great catch! Am I to take that as a horrible sign? I'm sure the hand can be replaced by Omega easily enough, but if there is corrosion that means moisture in the watch which could mean big problems, or am I looking at that wrong?

Thanks again!

10. YurRomeo1 Sep 27, 2015

The hands would be replaced during routine service so if you are planning on sending it out for service it's not really a big deal. I have held MANY watches with such marks on the hands / dial markers and a clean movements. I am still unsure how this happens... If nothing else is wrong a new set of hands won't set you back much (under $40). The crystal is much more expensive however... Just ask the seller, they should be able to tell you more about the condition of the movement, hands and crystal.

11. Mike Sep 27, 2015

The seller does not know the service history but says a watchmaker confirmed timekeeping accuracy and amplitude. I'm still confused, how would it corrode without some sort of moisture in the watch, and if that is the case, should I not expect corrosion all throughout the movement?

Thanks!

12. PatrickJ Sep 27, 2015

Look this is my opinion, follow it and you will be ok.

Buy from a reputable pre owned dealer, some of them are authorised omega service centres or send their watches to authorised centres. People can be vague with you and tell you what they want. The correct dealer will give you a warranty and will sell you genuine, they will be to worried about their reputation to sell fake. IT WILL COST MORE! THAT IS BETTER FOR YOU 1ST IS GENUINE AND JOINT 1ST IS CONDITION.

How do you know if it is real, or redialed or if the movement is bad.

If you want buy on ebay or private. Just make sure you have the knowledge of watchmakers like @stefan and @Archer before you buy. They have a watch loupe and know how to use it, they can take a watch apart and know every detail. Not only are they watch makers they know Omega back to front. Unless you have this knowledge buy pre owned from a reputable dealer and ask them a 100 questions, it costs more but you know what you are in for.

Edited Sep 27, 2015
  13. ac106 Sep 27, 2015

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. PatrickJ Sep 27, 2015

Check the history of the jewlerers and the warranty. There you go, you have a come back if anything goes wrong and it won't as long as all details are clarified and you ask the correct questions.

15. Mike Sep 27, 2015

I procrastinated too long and it's sold now anyway. I'll have to try to find a 2531.80 or 2220.80 elsewhere :-(.

Maybe I can find one from an authorized dealer...

Thanks all

16. PatrickJ Sep 27, 2015

Take your time please. You know what they say "marry in haste and repent at leisure" this apply to watches.

17. PatrickJ Sep 27, 2015

Just do your research and be patient.

18. Audley Yung Sep 28, 2015

definitely legit looking to me. I've owned 2 Omega Seamaster Pros a full size and a mid size and this one checks out too.

19. Mike Oct 2, 2015

Edited Oct 2, 2015
  20. wsfarrell Oct 2, 2015

I don't see any red flags. I do see a red dot, though it doesn't photograph as red. It's at 6 o'clock in photo 12:

red.jpg