Forums Latest Members

Is there such a thing as a watch that ends this madness?

1. Lukeeesteve Mar 16, 2017

So I've been thinking.....

Is there such a little thing as the ultimate watch that ends this growing madness of looking for the next watch. I used to think no....

After all the collection has grown over time and multiple other watches have passed through my hands hoping that that would have been the one.

I used to not know (not able to verbalized) what aesthetically drew me to a watch when I first got into this hobby. I think I'm better now in that regards though....and seem to be getting closer to finding that perfect watch.

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 16, 2017

Patek Chrono's

Paedipod and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2017

NOS 2915-1 or Grand Luxe PT950 depending on whether you're a sports watch or dress watch guy, you get one of those you just toss the others on eBay and forget about them, you've beaten the final level of Omega collecting and the game's over.

Then you get to start at level one of the Patek game and feel like a pro Foosball player who's just joined an EPL team.

Pun, Rumar89, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  4. C4L18R3 Mar 16, 2017

Its behaviour that makes us want the next watch. In fact we probably have the 'best' watches meant for us in our boxes already. But instead we keep browsing WUS... we keep getting excited over new stuff... we keep learning... and unlike houses, watches are relatively more reachable and collectible so we try/ buy/ collect /hoard. This loop slows down at some poi t and then picks up again. So nope. No such watch exists.

LindaO, Paedipod, bristnj and 4 others like this.
  5. jurisevac@ Mar 16, 2017

When I bought these watch it was on my wrist day and night,and then I stumbled upon this site, and cup of tea is place where he rest for now.

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 16, 2017

For me, my 5513 is the pinnacle for me before hitting the next level of $20k+ watches, and I am not sure I want to go there.

For me, the rest of my vintage pieces are just ok...nothing I see under $10k vaguely interests me.

For now, I am having fun with lower end, cheaper pieces to fill the time.

KstateSkier and Cad290 like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2017

No

8. cristos71 Mar 16, 2017

Agree with where you are coming from, but as a Constellation aficionado I think I'd stop looking if I was to find one of these out in the wild.

CONSTELLATION_omegamuseum.com_-_2017-03-16_15.17.52.png

ConElPueblo, kkt, M.C.B1974 and 4 others like this.
  9. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 16, 2017

"Rosebud..."

or something about rotten oak or soul... that. ;)

LindaO, oddboy, Andy K and 4 others like this.
  10. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 16, 2017

How boring would that be? I thought my Rolex Submariner would do that but boy was I wrong. It just sparked the interest in Rolex, which will probably end up costing me significantly more than my interest in Omega and my Sub also sparked my interest in Seiko, because I needed a beater diver. That is also escalating for me... :confused:

11. MaiLollo Mar 16, 2017

I've had a couple of "long term" grails, and once I've obtained them, I enjoy the pieces for sure, but I always end up getting infatuated with other pieces. I've been dreaming about 1675s for a long time, I'm getting one definetely in 2017 (maybe a nice 16750 would do). I know I'll find something more expensive to work for once I'll have a GMT... But that is the cool part, always striving for something !

12. Egatdagi Mar 16, 2017

Stop looking and keep playing with the ones you have. Transition over to buying straps and buckles. It will help for a little while. Stay away from the forums. The WRUW thread just gets you wanting other watches.

Mad Dog, Vitezi and Lonestar like this.
  13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 16, 2017

In my case it could be or maybe it's just a pause; recently I'm not so filled with the lust to acquire - oh just the odd bracelet or two - but to enjoy what I have. Cut some of the excess out.

Hey, it's not too bad...

14. SeanO Mar 16, 2017

I'm with Archer. Only the bank manager or the significant other will "moderate" the rate of acquisition.

You can try the "exemplars only" method of management but that will only result in a larger hole in the bank account.

Or you could try hookers.

15. jimmyd13 Mar 16, 2017

I think I've stopped lusting after another watch.

I think.

The piece that stopped me "needing" something else was a 5513.

Of course, nothing in life is permanent - not even a Rolex (and I laugh in the dial of Patek Phillipe). My 5513 has gone away to spend a few weeks at the spa. I've already found myself looking at this weekend's auction catalogue. Then again, I have a couple of watches that are due to be picked up; a couple more to drop off; and, maybe ... maybe ... if I'm lucky .... "Captain America" will be ready to be debuted to the world.

... but I don't have a problem ... really, I could stop any time I wanted ...

Paedipod and watchknut like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 16, 2017

I'm getting more focused on what I want to collect and learning what is a distraction. Unfortunately this narrows the focus only a little. I am being encouraged to start learning to divest. This is my next challenge. I need this hobby to be self funding...sort of. Another challenge is avoiding the news by spending time here. This gets expensive.

17. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 16, 2017

Nope. Next question...

Mad Dog, oddboy and Lukeeesteve like this.
  18. Rman Mar 16, 2017

I am finally finding out what moves me, and what my motives are.

Realization of the week: I'M NOT BUILDING A MUSEUM COLLECTION

LawBrk, Xeer, watchknut and 3 others like this.
  19. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Mar 16, 2017

Don't think out loud. :eek:

IMG_2691.JPG

20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 16, 2017

Perhaps other interests will curve it.

I have bought one watch this year. I really do not anticipate buying more than one other this year. And that assumes I can find the 1980s era gold Speedmaster I need to finish off my Decades Collection.

Aside from that I have been eyeing a Breguet Type XX with a blue dial. Will be looking into this more next month.

Tubber likes this.