Forums Latest Members

Is There Still A Room For This Watch?

1. Pun May 13, 2019

I am again in dilemma when a watch comes on the way in good condition; do I need it, should I buy or skip? Please help me take a call soon.

I have 3 Moonwatches already in my collection; a plain vanilla Moonwatch, a Tintin and Ultraman ST2. Now I have an offer to add another Moonwatch. This time it's with moonphase and date, 1866 caliber, 3576.50.00. Price offered under $4000.

I desperately need help from the reservoir of wisdom of the Speedmaster veterans to help me out of this imbroglio. Please give your esteemed opinions and oblige.

E6CD544A-12E3-48B0-9F38-C95C190AF9AD.jpeg
    WatchShopping, Omegafanman and ras47 like this.
  2. NickC May 14, 2019

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. None of your other Speedmasters can tell you what the moon is doing so this will let you know without having to look out of the window.

3. Bushido May 14, 2019

How much do you enjoy the moon phase complication or need/want the date on your watch? If either are big priorities then I think this would be a solid pick up.

However, for my personal tastes, I would branch out a bit more in your Speedy variety. Perhaps another dial color to mix things up a bit in the collection?

Pun likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 14, 2019

If you want a moonphase there are other gorgeous moon phases out therefor that price. Vintage TDMP are gorgeous.

If you want another killer speedy then go for it.

TLDR: it’s a nice Speedy but not a good moon phase.

Pun likes this.
  5. pongster May 14, 2019

Yes there is.

Then you need to get the following speedmasters:

1. A co-axial
    2. A rattrapante
    3. A day-date

Pun likes this.
  6. jpjsavage May 14, 2019

I love moon phase dials but, as mentioned, I'm not convinced by this one. If you want one, get a bigger dialled version. At my age I'd struggle to see that moon!

7. valkyrie_rider May 14, 2019

If I was you, I would diversify the collection a bit.

There are some amazing Speedmasters from the 70's (e.g. Mark II, III, IV, 4.5) that are quite appealing and can be bought for half the money.

I followed the other way around while collecting: first got a 1999's Mark 40 triple date (cal 1051) with blue dial.

Then got a Mark 4.5 (cal 1045) with blue soleil dial and tonneau case, followed next by a pristine Speedmaster 125 (cal 1041).

Recently, managed to find a Mark II from 1970 (cal 861) that the dial seems to be turning tropical.

What is missing now in my collection is a Moonwatch. If you give up on this one, I'm interested.
    :)

Pun likes this.
  8. Pun May 14, 2019

Thanks indeed for a diverse and sincere opinion. What I also like to know is that is it worth the price asked by the seller or he should be negotiated further down?

9. Pun May 14, 2019

I agree what you say but Indian market is still not yet open for such trade as it should be. We have limited access where such watches are sold between individuals directly or through an AD. There are plethora of rules, and most of them are vage indeed, that govern imports and exports of goods by individuals. Therefore there is limited supply for such watches and prices, at times, are low as compared to the trend elsewhere.