Forums Latest Members
  1. RWA72 Feb 20, 2016

Good evening honorable members of the Omegaforums

I'm a vintage entusiast and i have a unconditional respect for autentic and untouched vintage pieces.

A couple a week ago i delivered my 69 Speedmaster to the local Omega watchmaker for a service, since i requested that the service only to be carried out on the caliber and keep everything else strickly original.
    I have noticed that to keep value on a vintage piece it is essential to keep it all original, if pushers/hands/indicators or dial is to be changed or alltered with this will depreciate the value and make it less desirable.

And this is where i start to think about the higly appreciated DON bezel, there is an acceptance in the community for changing non origin parts such as DON bezels but not parts like the ones mentioned earlier in this post.

Changing earlier mentioned parts will clearly depreciate value and autenticity since parts og origin are changed, except widely acceptable parts like the DON bezel even if mechanical modifications has to be carried out to fit the new bezel to the case.

In my eyes this dosent sound logical to me, clearly this watch will no longer be an autentic piece but a customized watch that deviate from its origin.

" Is there something i've been missing out on ? "

:thumbsdown:::book::

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 20, 2016

I think you have got your facts wrong.
    I doubt there is one member here who would swap a half decent DON bezel for an incorrect newer DNN.
    Why else do you think even beat up old DON bezels are commanding upwards of $1000?

3. Cortezthekiller Feb 20, 2016

I think he means swapping an original DON for a better looking version. Although not original to the watch, it would increase the value

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2016

Not at all, watches with a DOT OVER NINETY are highly praised an desirable. If a watch is missing the original parts this is considered a deficiency and efforts are often made to correct it. However with regard to changing one proper part with another proper part, where do you see acceptance of
    "DON bezel even if mechanical modifications has to be carried out to fit the new bezel to the case." ?

5. RWA72 Feb 20, 2016

Hi Good people

Just what i'm trying to understand here is when someone with a " regulare DNN " bezel are replacing it with a DON bezel to make the watch more attractive and collectible.
    To me this will not be a autentic watch anymore to the fact that the watch have been tampered with, kind of customized and not how it left the production plant since it originally where issued with a DNN bezel.

This topic camed to my mind in connection delivering my Speedmaster for service, the watchmaker asked if i would like to replace the hands to new ones.
    I recalled several threads at Omegaforums that covered this topic or atleast mentioned that the watch would not be as attractive if originality where tampered with and original parts have been replaced.

So question is why a increase in value and attractivness when replacing or adding non origin parts like the DON bezel to make it more attractive and rare, and on the other hand a decrease in value when replacing as an example hands or indicators that are new original parts ?.

::confused2::

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2016

No one is replacing DNN bezels on watches that came with DNN bezels. They are only putting DON bezels on watches that came with DON bezels, but lost the correct bezel through service or accident. They are fixing the watch with the correct original type bezel. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding in translating English to Norwegian?

divine wind likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 20, 2016

Most are acquiring a DON to replace a DNN that was changed at service many years ago.

The few that want to change a messed up DON to a better looking DON are merely changing vintage parts for vintage parts and a lot different to putting new parts on a vintage watch which changes the authentic look.

Many find less than perfect examples of many watches and will wait for several years to get them period correct parts ( when new are available ) This is called a project watch.

Hope this explains it.

divine wind likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2016

More attractive ≠ more collectable.

More original = more collectable.

divine wind likes this.
  9. RWA72 Feb 21, 2016

I initially started this thread with the headline " Is there something i've been missing out on ? " and it seems that i've got the answer.

So just for the record: no one is adding a DON bezel to a DNN bezel Speedmaster to make it more desirable and collectible and i understand that there are original vintage parts been used in the prossess.

I was under the impression that collectors where adding features to their pieces to make it more collectible, making the watch less autentic.

I would like to thank everyone for their contribution on this topic.

::rimshot::::psy::