Forums Latest Members
  1. GBub Mar 2, 2018

Hello all!

I'm a watch forum veteran, but a noob to vintage omega so excuse my relative ignorance.

I've recently found my taste in watches changing from new/nearly new Rolexes to more vintage pieces and have decided I need to get on the speedmaster professional bandwagon, hence joining here a few weeks ago to try and learn from the legends and hopefully pick up a watch in M2M.

I like the idea of having a watch from my birth year, '77 (damn, that's painful to see that in black and white - OLD) and so I've been looking for speedys from that era and have come across the one below. I'm waiting for further info and pics from the seller (I've no movement pics as yet), but something about it has got my spidersense tingling. How do you guys find it, any cause for concern that stands out? Are they replacement hands? If so, what sort of effect would they have on price (because I do like the look of it)? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mr_yossarian Mar 2, 2018

As you already pointed out: to see if the movement serial matches the Extract is crucial nowadays. The rest appears to be fine. Does the dealer offer a trusted checkout?

nonuffinkbloke and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 2, 2018

From the pictures nothing stands out as wrong.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  4. GBub Mar 2, 2018

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a private seller on Chrono 24. I could do an escrow purchase perhaps, but I'm still feeling a bit icky about it.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. Toishome Mar 2, 2018

You should. Unless you can get a escrow purchase it will be risky for sure. That said watch looks good :thumbsup:

6. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2018

You mean besides it being a Speedmaster? :taunt: ::stirthepot::

7. GBub Mar 2, 2018

Now now! Don't come down here throwing your puny 23,662 posts around as if you know what you're talking about. Bloody noobs.....

8. GBub Mar 3, 2018

The seller has offered to meet at Bond St Omega, London at my behest - with a view to getting Omega to whip the case back off so I can see the movement and check that the numbers match up. Has anyone ever done anything similar and know if Omega play ball in such a situation (at a cost I'd assume)? I'll give them a buzz later to check, but I just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge.

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 3, 2018

what is wrong with you? every possible safe guard is in place; what else do you need? do the same you would do in buying a rolex. kind regards. achim

Psych and ICONO like this.
  10. GBub Mar 3, 2018

Perhaps I've not been clear or perhaps I'm being dippy. Probably both!

I have no idea what is inside the case. It might be a decent, working movement relating to the serial number on the extract. That would be awesome. Or it might be the same movement, but badly rusted and water damaged. That would not be nice. Alternatively it might be a different, replacement movement. That would not be nice. It might even be a totally fraudulent, quartz movement! It happens. That would be a disaster. I'd simply like to know which of the above it is before I throw my money at it. Am I being weird?

And re buying Rolexes, I tend to buy new rather than vintage (or occasionally secondhand off people I know) so I've never bought quite like this before, viz a stranger who can't show me what's in the case.

11. abrod520 Mar 3, 2018

Not unreasonable when you're new to this game. Sounds like the seller is accommodating you, so if you like the watch (and it appears to be a pretty good example) go and check it out. I don't know if every Omega Boutique has a watchmaker / technician on site who can remove a caseback, but Bond Street is one of the larger ones so it's worth a shot.

12. GBub Mar 3, 2018

Thanks for replying.

Does anyone know if the back comes off easily enough with a sticky ball or is that a non starter?

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 3, 2018

Depends on the watch.

14. GBub Mar 3, 2018

What about a normal caseback removal tool if not (working on the basis is not stupidly, tightly sealed, like rusted shut or something silly)? Or do they need those specially made, round tools I've seen on speedmaster101?

15. redpcar Mar 3, 2018

.........and depends on the strength of the person who installed it before.
    You may need a good wrench and vise.
    The problem with Speedies (or any old Omega) that has an old gasket is that it turns to goo and can be quite troublesome to get off. If the owner has had it serviced or recently removed the back, you should be ok.

16. GBub Mar 3, 2018

I just asked how long a piece of string was didn't I? Idiot noob!

It was serviced two years ago apparently, so there's hope for the easier removal methods.

Thanks for responding.

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2018

WYO_Watch, ewand, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  18. Toishome Mar 3, 2018

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2018

Sure, mine says "OMEGAFORUMS SHERIFF" and has a star :D:D:D
    IMG_2911.jpg

Seaborg, sxl2004, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  20. GBub Mar 3, 2018

cicindela likes this.