Forums Latest Members

Is there a way to repair the expandable links on 1039 bracelets?

1. pascs Jul 23, 2013

I have a 1039 bracelet but unfortunately like most of these bracelets the expandable links arent in too great shape with only one or no inner springs intact.

I've currently got mine in soak to remove the years of gunk thats accumulated in the links but it does look like the springs could be carefully removed from the link. Has anyone done this or know of the availability of replacement springs?

2. flame Speedmaster Neil Jul 23, 2013

Hi

If you look at the back of the BCT there will be the removable access cover which simply slide off (with a bit of encouragement). The broken spring pieces can be removed and replaced with the internal spring from a springbar....and adjusted to fit (stretched).

Personally , I can never get them quite right/sprung correctly....so leave it to Omega UK (Swiss Time Services) and they work perfectly (and have a 1yr warranty !).

HTH's

Best - Neil

3. wwhntr Jul 23, 2013

Here's a great step-by-step link illustrating how to add/remove links.

http://www.old-omegas.com/bracadd.html

The springs inside the links look a little like a thick/heavy mainspring. I've tried to think of what material could be used to cut and bend into the shape of original springs but haven't come up with solution yet. Seems like it would not be difficult if you had the right material to start with.

(Neil, I'm having trouble visualizing how the internal spring from a springbar would fit/work. Do you have any pictures of repairs you've attempted?)

4. wwhntr Jul 23, 2013

5. pascs Jul 23, 2013

Thanks for the links.

I have them apart and have so far replaced the old springs with just some 1mm wire to fill the space while I figure out a way to produce a spring close to the original.

I also thought about a mainspring of the correct dimensions and I'm sure its possible to produce something fairly close.

I'm really surprised that someone hasnt already come up with a replacement spring or even similar replacement links for these bracelets and others like the 1171 (the narrower version), there must be a significant market for replacement links that Omega no longer make.

6. esspee1200 Mar 21, 2014

anyone come up with a solution here? couldn't find anything on the web as of yet.

7. pascs Mar 21, 2014

I didnt find any solution and eventually 3 NOS expandable links came up on ebay so I bought those instead :D

8. g-boac Mar 23, 2014

I contacted Swiss Time Services (STS) in September last year inquiring about terms/pricing/availability for repair of a 1039 bracelet. About a week and a half later, I received a relatively unhelpful e-mail from "STS Reception", informing me that the 1039 bracelet is discontinued and that they can't work on them. (Thanks!)

Neil - not sure if you had better luck, or if perhaps the wrong person at STS answered my note?

9. g-boac Mar 23, 2014

Here is a potentially very promising option for 1039 (and prior) bracelet repair. Michael Young Watch Repair (Classic Watch Repair), in Hong Kong. Reading reviews in the Vintage Rolex discussion board on www.rolexforums.com, it seems that the guy on there absolutely swear by him, and there are a number of threads posting glowing reviews his work:
    http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Looking at Michael Young's website, specifically on bracelet repair:
    http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/page5.html

it certainly seems they do wonders with repairing bracelets, including restoring some REALLY stretched folded-link bracelets to like-new condition. Michael says he specializes in Rolex bracelets, but also does Omega. So, he may be a resource to draw upon for repair of Omega folded/expansion-link Speedmaster bracelets.

If any members here had (or gain) experience with Michael, please share here, or in a separate thread.

cheers,
    Mark

10. stefman Dec 3, 2017

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread.

This past June I sent my 1039 bracelet to Michael in Hong Kong for restoration (I live in Singapore so it was the closest and best option).

The bracelet came back as good as new and have been wearing it practically daily since I got it back end of August. Michael’s work is highly recommended.

Only problem is I have been noticing rust color when I wipe the bracelet as well as rust smell and color on my skin. Last week I noticed that one of the expandable links seemed a bit loose. Last night I decided to open up that link and sure enough, the spring is totally rusted and broken in two. The other spring on that link is heavily rusted as well.

I suspect Michael just restored the bracelet and didn’t change the springs probably.

I’m toying with the idea to just wear the bracelet as is and let the springs fail and adjust the size accordingly. I live in a hot and humid country and replacing the springs will just result in more rust and more broken springs, unless I can find a stainless steel option.

Anyone have any suggestions or a permanent fix?

11. wwhntr Dec 3, 2017

stefman likes this.
  12. stefman Dec 3, 2017