Forums Latest Members

Is there a reference 5418 among Longines' vintage offerings?

1. dmgreen11 Feb 9, 2023

Hello all.

I saw reference 5418 listed in a Longines extract, and have neither heard of this reference nor been able to find anything about it with a bit of research. Was this an error on their part?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Thanks.

Darren

2. BlueHands Feb 9, 2023

Lots of Longines references out there. I don't think there is a mistake. Is there a picture available to the reference?

3. dmgreen11 Feb 9, 2023

I can't find a picture of this reference, so I do not have an example. I would think that this model would be referenced somewhere if it existed.

4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 9, 2023

I think that a few factors are pertinent here. Firstly, as @BlueHands mentioned, there are so many Longines references that I would not always expect to find a second example online. Secondly, Longines watches that were made in the mid-1940s and earlier did not have reference numbers on their case-backs. Up until fairly recently, this made it impractical to describe a watch by its reference number since few people would be familiar with specific references. Further, one would likely need to contact Longines for an extract in order to know the reference number, and not everyone is aware or interested in doing this. As a side not, people used to mistakenly call the 5-digit order numbers reference numbers. Thirdly, certain references are very uncommon so finding another example can be tricky. If you would be willing to share more information about this watch (e.g. the caliber, date of original invoice, photos, etc.), I would be curious.

5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 9, 2023

P.S. Longines should have a record/cliche of the reference, so I would ask them to confirm that the case design matches their records.

6. bardamu Feb 10, 2023

Are you sure it was 5418? I am aware of a 5413 for sure.

7. BlueHands Feb 10, 2023

Ref 5411 is well known and often seen, so 5413, 5418, all is possible. If there is a Longines Extract for this reference 5418 the person who had asked should have uploaded some photos of the watch to Longines. This is important to get an extract. They expect photos of the dial, the caseback and the movement. It is very difficult to find any information in www if you look for a special reference number.

Mark020 likes this.
  8. BlueHands Feb 10, 2023

To add this: ref 5411 a radium dialed threehander, 5412 a watch with pointer date, 5415 a 13ZN Chrono. You find everything in this number circle around 5410 up to 5420.

bardamu and Radiumpassion like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 11, 2023

Hi Darren,
    I’d agree with others that Longines made so many references that it’s not surprising if most of them are unfamiliar.

In doubt I would just ask Longines to double check and confirm.

Very curious to see pictures of this watch now ;)

Warthog and DirtyDozen12 like this.