Forums Latest Members
  1. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 23, 2016

A few years back and even now , every body had to have a Rolex sub... And now vintage sub price seem rediculous ... And one small nuance on a dial could make it worth 10k more... If you buy a new sub it is likely going to depreciate ... Especially since they are produced on such a large scale
    Just feel now everybody has to have a speedmaster , and a small nuance on the dial or bezel makes or beaks its value... But speedmasters are produced on such a large scale that a new one will depreciate and even if you wait till it becomes vintage in 20-30 years there will be so many that they may not hold much value... I don't buy watches for investments or value. I buy them because they make me happy ... I have had my speedy day date for about ten years now... Just wanted to make a comparison and see the similarities...but they are different brands with different stories to tell

2. harrymai86 Feb 23, 2016

I think not only speedmaster but vintage chronograph is on the roll right now

Foo2rama and Etp095 like this.
  3. rbob99 Feb 23, 2016

Personally I think a pre-owned modern Speedmaster Moonwatch 3570.50 or slightly earlier model is one of the biggest bargains out there. Vintage Speedmasters seem to be heading north very quickly however.

Archer and jens0125 like this.
  4. Cal_321 Feb 24, 2016

Rolex has produced so much watches - it's a real massproduct but with high prices. I still have no Rolex and it seems, I will never buy one. A 321-Speedie is much more rare and fakes and put-togethers are easier to spot. In compare to Rolex, Speedies are undervalued ;-)))

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 24, 2016

Rolex has nothing to do with it. Omega has always had its own fans its just the Rolex fanboys could not see it.

Speedmaster is the new Constellation.

Northernman likes this.
  6. Dombo63 Feb 24, 2016

Both are classics. One for the sea; t'other for land, on Earth and beyond.

davidswiss likes this.
  7. Slevin kelevra Feb 24, 2016

I have both and the Speedmaster is a different watch than the Sub but I do see what you mean. There certainly seems to be a LOT of interest in Speedmasters at present and in the past few years. My opinion is that people realise that no matter what the age of the watch you are getting a lot bang per buck as it were. Also, the added interest means that the watches hold their value and they therefore become a "safe bet" if you purchase one and decide it isn't for you.

8. ulackfocus Feb 24, 2016

[​IMG]

dantaspaulo and ahsposo like this.
  9. Kja Feb 24, 2016

I believe Omega is the new Rolex.

Samuel_V and CTS-V like this.
  10. Texas_Tom Feb 24, 2016

I think both watch brands are over producing watches and driving the prices down in the resale market, however Omega's prices are lower to begin with. I think the watch boards like this are a good reason why the knowledge and popularity of the Speedy is so big.
    I have Rolex Pepsi and I love it, I paid more than a Omega for it, but I won't part with it. :)
    What you should really be asking, is how long will wristwatches be around? Kids under 22 don't want watches anymore, they see them as old fashioned and they have their phones..

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 24, 2016

I ponder this often, as Rolex is what started me in vintage watches before it was ever cool to collect vintage watches. Back in the day, no one knew what in the hell a fat font, ghost, Bart Simpson, open 6's, tropical, etc., etc. was--people knew that they were cool watches with a storied past. Hell, most of the best vintage Rolex were killed by RSC, and back in the 2000 time frame, restored vintage pieces brought more than the original condition ones!

Since that time the market has exploded, and as more people learned about the watches there were collecting, these previously unknown details starting popping up to differentiate one piece from another, and now we are in the present day where every letter, font, patina, color, case bevel, indices, etc. is scrutinized.

Rolexing is happening to the Omega market, and more specifically Speedies, as they are the haute watch right now thanks to Christies.

I will admit, I bought my first Speedy 6 months ago, and I am kicking myself for not having paid attention to them to sooner because I had my Rolex goggles on. Oh, the Speedies I could have bought had I known what I was looking for back in the day--but that is not possible because Speedmaster101 was not around to educate me!

Now that the market is out of control for QUALITY vintage divers and chronos, and Omega is the best landing place for collectors who have means to spend $1k-$5k, but not $8-15K+. I am firmly in that camp, and would never be in the position to buy any of my current vintage Rolex at today's prices...hell, I could not buy my Omegas again!

A watchmaker told me in 1987 that Rolex was overrated and that Omega was just as good or better...I should have listened:)

Is the Speedy the new Sub? In the vintage world, I say that may be an accurate assessment, as you will see on IG that many high end Rolex collectors now have a killer Speedy or two in their herd. And why not, the watch went to the moon!

Stas, Etp095 and watchyouwant like this.
  12. uvalaw2005 Feb 24, 2016

Yes, I certainly think the reputation, which was always good, is now going further. I wonder how much of it is driven by the higher-end limited and special edition Speedmasters we are seeing today, moving the whole model class upwards in perception.

jens0125 likes this.
  13. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 24, 2016

Then do you think most of our watches will be worthless in 20 years...

14. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 24, 2016

Should I have a rolex... Am I not a cool collector unless I have a vintage rolex.... Maybe I should have a patek.... I think I am happy with what I got... Although I ponder a 60s explorer

15. Texas_Tom Feb 24, 2016

/shrug I don't know, they may go the way of the Pocket watch, something that collectors have but not used in daily life?

16. Texas_Tom Feb 24, 2016

I have never really considered a Vintage collection, I would be too afraid to damage it, and I hate the idea of a fine watch sitting in a bank vault. My personal opinion. I have bought a couple of Birth Year watches, but that is as far back as I will go :)

17. abrod520 Feb 24, 2016

I'm with you. I'm generally not that interested in vintage Rolex, as I think it's a bit played out - nevermind the serious effort it'd take just to not get scammed, much less find a good piece! And yet, I've been thinking about a 60s GMT.

I think we're cooler collectors for the lack of Rolex though :cool:

jens0125 likes this.
  18. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 24, 2016

I am sure there are a bunch of fake new and vintage rolex..... I can think of three dealers I would be comfortable with

19. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 24, 2016

I think not. Pocket watches are not easily carried with you in a modern outfit. Wristwatches took over (mainstream) in a matter of a couple of decades.
    As for wristwatches I do not see kids on these shores wear them any less than my generation used to.
    The only piece of jewelry a well dressed man needs!
    :cool:

20. Cal_321 Feb 24, 2016

Thought about this fact too. But: A mechanical watch is a statement, a smartwatch is a gadget. I think, we still have some years to wear (vintage) and use watches...