Forums Latest Members

Is the patina "yellow" enough on this Seamaster 165.024?

1. DotOverNewYork Mar 4, 2017

I'm looking at this: http://www.europeanwatch.com/24652.html

[​IMG]

Compared to other 165.024s I've seen from those years, the even coloration and condition of the lume on the dial and hands almost seems too good to be true, and it looks less yellow than I'd expect compared to almost every other one I've seen of the same vintage.

Is it likely that it was re-lumed, or is that plausibly original and just a really good example? If it's a re-lume, roughly how much of the value would that remove?

Thank you very much for any help. I'm very new to this world and trying to learn as much as I can (without asking too many stupid questions along the way).

khanmu and MIL-84 like this.
  2. watchlovr Mar 4, 2017

Looks like a relume to me, have a look at 6

Jwit likes this.
  3. DotOverNewYork Mar 4, 2017

Ah, nice catch. So those little edges on the outer perimeter suggest another layer of lume atop the original spots, I assume?

Is this how it's supposed to look, more yellow and without those little edges? http://www.ebay.com/itm/152251640923Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

4. watchlovr Mar 4, 2017

I personally don't like the look of that one either, check the lume at 12

5. DotOverNewYork Mar 4, 2017

Nice catch. Thank you!

One of these days, I'll find my Seamaster, but it looks like today is not that day.

6. dbane007 Mar 4, 2017

Regardless of the fact if it was relumed or not, I think it's important to understand how patina develops. I'm not talking about water/moisture "patina".

But generally, tritium lume of watch dials left in the dark (drawer or safe) will develop a much dark yellow/orange patina than watches used daily and exposed to the sun. This is contrary to what most people believe but NOS dials left in a drawer for 30-40 years have much richer patina for the most part.

If course, other factors like the thinner used and binding agent will affect patina development/color

tatoitaly, khanmu, Dash1 and 2 others like this.
  7. swish77 Mar 4, 2017

The lume could be original on the Seamaster at European Watch. I would never use only non-perfect lume as a method to judge. This old tritium was often applied imperfectly and it can shrink or "bleed" over time. We're talking many decades. Also, there are wide ranges in the patina, from light lemon to pumpkin. Here's a borrowed photo of another Seamaster with confirmed original lume. Nothing perfect here, but still nice and original.

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 1.21.07 PM.jpg

8. Stas Mar 4, 2017

Schlotkins likes this.
  9. Rman Mar 4, 2017

I would disagree with that assessment.

10. Rman Mar 4, 2017

The lume can bleed and move but these dial's lume is incredible flat. Your photo shows a foamy thicker lume and the 12 o'clock marker is too sloppy to be in tolerances IMHO.

@Fost ?

11. watchlovr Mar 4, 2017

I'd not buy your example as "confirmed original lume"
    "Confirmed" by whom?

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  12. DotOverNewYork Mar 4, 2017

13. Sharp Mar 4, 2017

The Hour hand and minute hand look aftermarket on the OP watch? They are very short :confused:

Dial lume looks alright IMO (pass on it anyway for one with nice hands!)

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  14. Ravineman Mar 4, 2017

you guys are very very picky. I suggest a name change from Omegaforum to Omegamuseum.

15. Rman Mar 4, 2017

Maybe "particular about originality"is a better way to put it.
    "Picky" seems a little flippant when someone is spending 8 grand on a vintage dive watch.

Edit: if you want to be picky it's actually listed for $8900

Ravineman and Jwit like this.
  16. Fost Mar 4, 2017

Very difficult to tell but the shrink of the tritium is not a proof of relumed in my book.
    Now if it is relumed it might be an old relumed job..

17. DotOverNewYork Mar 4, 2017

Oh man, you're right! They're the wrong length!

I think I've found the right crowd.

Alright, one more for the lume-picky to help train my eye: https://www.craftandtailored.com/co...-calibre-861-pre-moon-rare-transitional-model

Coloration looks right, a little bit of shrink from the original plot areas, but I'd guess it's original?

If there's ever a good time to be very very picky, it's when trying to figure out if you're actually getting the condition and value being advertised when buying an antique for nearly ten thousand dollars that may be worth a lot less than that due to subtle details like this.

Ravineman likes this.
  18. swish77 Mar 4, 2017

By a very respected seller who has seen and sold dozens and dozens of vintage Seamasters and Speedmasters through the years. When you've seen enough of them you can tell the watches that are original and the ones that have been relumed.

I'm not saying definitively that the OP's watch hasn't been relumed. I'm just saying imperfect tritium should not be a sole criterion to judge. There's plenty of imperfect original tritium on vintage Seamasters and Speedys.

Edited Mar 4, 2017
  19. SgWatchBaron Mar 5, 2017

Spot on! Even the small tiny dot perforation is gone.

20. SgWatchBaron Mar 5, 2017

That's already copyrighted and used by The Omega Museum themselves. :p