Forums Latest Members

Is the Omega speedmaster better value than a Rolex Daytona?

1. watchyouseek Apr 20, 2019

2. Davidt Apr 20, 2019

Yes.

3. Ludi Apr 20, 2019

Irrelevant

4. Slowpoker Apr 20, 2019

100%.

At least you can get your hands on a Speedmaster.

Probably should elaborate a little more.

The Daytona is a decent watch in its original style. These days the dials are cluttered and hard to read. It gets worse with the various dials they have such as meteorite. The Speedy pro is simple and elegant. Highly legible.

Unless you're looking for something to put in the safe I wouldn't consider a Daytona.

Edited Apr 20, 2019
  5. watchyouseek Apr 20, 2019

Yes some truth to that. The dial is rather complicated, too many words as well. I do however like the bracelet though, if only the newest speedy bracelet was abit more comfortable, that would have sealed the deal.

6. Slowpoker Apr 20, 2019

Ah I see..

Well you could always switch the bracelet to leather, NATO, etc. Options are endless really. Rolex' bracelets are hugely comfortable from what I've heard.

7. Donn Chambers Apr 20, 2019

Yet another article arguing a Rolex is better because it’s a Rolex and will hold its value more — if you can even find one. The Speedmaster isn’t better, nor is it worse. It’s a good watch if you like the way it looks AND one you can actually purchase and enjoy. Try doing that with a Daytona, unless you pay even more than retail on the gray market or spend 2-3 times more than list on other Rolex watches you don’t want just to get on the dealer’s list.

Sorry, no. I’ll take a Speedmaster every day over a Daytona for those reasons alone.

Rodentman, 64Wing, Dedalus05 and 11 others like this.
  8. 77deluxe Apr 20, 2019

If you buy right, a speedy will do a very good job at holding its value.

ToledoJoe and Thrasher36 like this.
  9. michael22 Apr 20, 2019

It's a terrible article, by an author who seems to have swallowed the Rolex cool-aid. I wondered if Rolex commissioned it. No mention of size/weight, hard to believe in a comparison.

I honestly don't understand the certainty of some people that Rolex prices will rise every year. Rolex has engineered a bubble by constraining supply. Bubbles are not the best time to invest.

10. Zola25 Apr 20, 2019

I love Rolex but just don’t like the Daytona. Speedy is a well respected watch by almost all watch enthusiasts. You pays your money.....

11. rudagger Apr 20, 2019

I have one and was surprised to find it quite ILLEGIBLE. When using the stopwatch, the second hand can obfuscate the minute hand. My middle aged eyesight isn't helping read the small dials either.

If I want to time anything, my timex ironman watch is a much better choice.

I don't regret buying a Speedmaster - I was just surprised by how hard it is to read the stopwatch.

12. captain_NEMO Apr 20, 2019

Legibility: Speedmaster, hands down.
    Cost: Speedmaster
    History: Speedmaster
    Iconic Status: Tie (subjective)
    Accuracy: N/A
    Toughness: Daytona (oyster case)
    Movement: Daytona (auto)
    If given to me for free: Daytona
    Buying using my own money: Speedmaster :)

Overall, Daytona is an awesome watch in its own right. The busy look just isn't my cup of tea. I'll go Speedmaster all day, everyday.

Alllexandru, 64Wing, G-Web and 8 others like this.
  13. FlyingSnoopy Apr 20, 2019

As an investment the Daytona hands down. You will definitely gain even in a years time.
    However as a watch, movement, history, reliability and above all enjoyment and value for money hands down the speedmaster.
    And twenty years down the road if you do not hand it to your son, you will make a profit...
    But if you are not a dealer, buy the one that will give you more enjoyment wearing...
    I would choose the speedmaster
    Cheers

64Wing and Thrasher36 like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 20, 2019

You will gain? Not necessarily at all. Second you know the speedmaster has out performed the Daytona in the mid term.

There is a reason no one is stockpiling new Daytona’s for investment, and it’s just not due to production constraints.

Thrasher36 and 77deluxe like this.
  15. alam Apr 20, 2019

this thread is lacking pics, regardless... I’ll surrender all my Speedmaters for one of this..

:)

76FE1A29-DCF7-48C1-B7D7-365A6D02B0DE.jpeg
    kaplan, 64Wing, marco and 5 others like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 20, 2019

Nice panda Speedmaster ;)

kaplan, 64Wing, 89-0 and 8 others like this.
  17. Evitzee Apr 20, 2019

They are both iconic, but they really reach different markets. Have had both, pluses and minuses to each.

18. rominvicta Apr 20, 2019

Many biased people around here. Questioning which is better in any respect between Speedmaster and Daytona is as if asking someone which is better between a Pineapple and an apple. As of above majority leans towards Speedmaster and I am sure same question would get an opposite answer in a Rolex forum. Both I consider irrelevant.

IanS and Thrasher36 like this.
  19. 77deluxe Apr 20, 2019

This thread, it’s very poor.

20. Davidt Apr 20, 2019

Hmm. That's got me thinking, which is better a pineapple or an apple?

calcheng, 64Wing, robinhook and 4 others like this.