Forums Latest Members

Is the Longines caseback legit?

1. NT931 May 26, 2017

hi folks,
    I cam across a Longines 30L on the 'bay
    Longines.JPG L2.jpg L3.jpg L3a.jpg

I searched through the Longines30L website , but couldn''t find a similar one

1. I think it's not a redial
    2. But the caseback seems a bit off. The stamps look rather new, and the '55968' on the inside looks to be in an odd font.
    3. Second hand seems short - probably replacement, though I found an example on the 30L site that showed this same sort of "short" second hand.

I'm concerned the caseback isn't genuine. I asked @khmt2 , who felt it was probably not correct, but raised the possibility of a legit but South American case (since this watch is 38mm). I am still learning about Longines though, so while my gut feel is that the caseback isn't right, I don't want to pass up on a legit watch due to my ignorance.

So are the caseback & the second hand correct for this watch? Or is this a franken? Thoughts will be most welcome, thanks in advance!

2. Hijak May 26, 2017

You might be right about the second hand and I agree, dial looks origional. My concern is the movement hold downs (wrong term maybe?) look a little out of sorts...don't think it came from Longines or it's agents that way. Just my two cents.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 26, 2017

I'm not liking the way the dial/movement fits the case. The damage around the periphery of the dial makes me think it may have come from a different case with a smaller opening in the bezel. Also the movement doesn't seem to fit deep enough in the case, the tabs should fit flush.

François Pépin and Hijak like this.
  4. bubba48 May 26, 2017

Original dial and movement but the case isn't Longines.

Rumar89 likes this.
  5. NT931 May 26, 2017

6. Amadeus May 26, 2017

I'm sorry but the case is not original.