Forums Latest Members

Is the lifespan of modern smartwatches too short?

1. Sgt_Bilko Nov 21, 2015

2. base615 Nov 21, 2015

I wouldn't even call that a lifespan

3. nightowl Nov 21, 2015

Smart watches are sort of a good idea, just so soulless. I feels like a non-solution to the fact mobile phones have gotten so big. That being said, maybe we'll be wearing the smart watch on the other wrist in a few years? That won't look too much at all.

But give it a couple of years and they'll be much better at taking voice commands, much neater and have their own celluar connections. Then we'll see them peek like the tablets did, and then drop in sales as people get tired of having to buy new ones all the time, getting very little added benefit from them, like with tablets.

No, I want this:

:)

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 21, 2015

So with a 6 day life span, that would be OK for a mosquito :whistling:

5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 21, 2015

glad i do not work @ LG now. i can only imagine the amount of sh¡t flying around there after a high profile multimillion $ debacle... let alone the 100s of thousands (millions?) of watches in different stages within the supply chain - both incoming and outgoing...

imagine truckloads of stupid-smartwatches going straight to the (strictly controlled) dumpster

:whipped:

guess a lot of meetings with HR going on at LG in the next days :(

6. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2015

That's what you get when you buy a battery powered watch. So much for being Dick Tracy. Next up is the shoe watch-phone so the same people can pretend to be Maxwell Smart. Might be tough to get around TSA with that though.

gatorcpa likes this.
  7. alam Nov 21, 2015

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 21, 2015

extremely poor article... monocausally linking slow swiss watch sales with the apple watch, without:
    touching on FX changes,(chf vs euro)
    the downturn in china (huge luxury market)
    decline in real income / lackluster growth all over the planet

9. arkstfan Nov 22, 2015

I suspect long-term Apple Watch is going to bring more people into the luxury watch market.
    After you've spent $300+ on something with a lifespan of roughly five years the day arrives to replace it. The smart watch wearer is now used to wearing a watch (reversing the trend) and presumably has greater disposable income than five years earlier. Is further up the work place food chain and observed that the power people are wearing statement watches.

Obviously some will not be able to kick their always connected habit but others are going to want to send the message that they are successful and have a sense of style and taste.

I suspect the smartwatches will be like tablets, the upgrade cycle will be 2X or to 3X slower than the cell phone upgrade cycle. A lot will be out there but replaced less frequently.

I was recently talking to a couple recent college grad about interviews and job seeking. Included in my advice was buy a quality looking watch whether it be mechanical or quartz but avoid smart watches. I'm no longer in a hiring position (more money and no HR issues!!!!!). I've never been bleeding edge but tend toward early to earlyish adopter but sitting across a desk interviewing an applicant a smart watch would be a turn off for me. I see it as a distraction and an easier way to be distracted and to discretely be distracted from what I'm paying you for.

Amazon and Ebay have numerous watches in the $50 to $100 range that send the message your are a serious professional with some degree of taste and responsible thought.

Smart watches do some cool things but my hunch is the smart watch will be the cubicles and traditional watches in the offices with windows.

Points about the economy are well made. The recovery has been slow and demand on higher end products has been soft in most categories.Two friends who are in car sales have said that demand has been like a doughnut the past few years. Top end cars recovered fairly quickly. Cheap and stripped down picked up but now the middle is improving. People aren't buying the upper mid-level cars, they are buying mid and lower mid level but demand for the dolled up versions with lots of options is increasing.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2015

I have to admit I do like mine quite a fair bit and still wear it every day, mainly for notifications and fitness tracking

arkstfan likes this.
  11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 22, 2015

I know a few people with Apple watches, and they're all very happy with them. They've become their everyday watch unless there's a more formal occasion.

12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 22, 2015

There's always an exception; I have a friend that is an Apple "core" - he will stand in line to buy an Apple release first day. He thinks the Apple watch is the worst and most pointless product they've produced.

Of course he still wears it every day...

13. alam Nov 22, 2015

I find myself in that camp too, with regards to these applications, specially when traveling in CONUS.

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 22, 2015

Wish I could get a longer strap so you could wear it on your ankle. All the benefits of wearing it, but leaving your wrist open.

::stirthepot::

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 22, 2015

That's the pattern I keep seeing, even with guys that were never really keen on the Apple Watch. They must be doing something right.

16. ulackfocus Nov 22, 2015

If you didn't own the joint I'd ban you for being a traitor! :D :p :taunt:

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 23, 2015

Australian PM wears on every day. ( probably to monitor he's millions in stocks through the day) :D

tpatta likes this.