Forums Latest Members

Is the Chronometer Certificate card no longer included?

1. Squintstream Oct 14, 2013

Hi all,

I've been lurking around for a while, but this is my first post, so please go easy ;)

I recently purchased my first Omega and went for the Planet Ocean with the 8500 movement. I picked it up today and couldn't be happier with my purchase, it really is a beautiful watch and one which I plan to keep for a very long time.

Now for my question...
    The watch is brand new and was purchased through my local jewellery dealer (who I trust 100%) and he got in from an authorised dealer in the UK. So all's above board and legit.

However, within the document wallet I only have an International Warranty and Pictograms card and don't seem to have a separate Chronometer Certificate.
    I have obviously called the dealer and he says; as the watch is new, Omega recently sent out a memo stating that new watches will no longer include the Chronometer Certificate and it is now depicted via the COSC logo on the Pitograms card (which is the case).

So, I just want to really put my mind at rest and confirm this is the case from any recent Omega buyers.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

2. OttawaMan Oct 14, 2013

I heard this from another poster as well. Don't see why they would stop but who knows.

3. ctime3 Oct 14, 2013

You are correct Sir. No more international warranty card. Just the pictogram card.

4. mistakemistake Oct 14, 2013

I too have been following this forum for quite some time now and posting for my first time! Anyhow, I recently purchased a new SMP from a trusted/authorized Omega dealer and also only received the International Warranty and Pictogram cards. Hope that helps!

Squintstream likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2013

If you are talking about something that gives you the results of the COSC tests for that watch then IMO....

Because it's really not relevant information for most people, and of course it saves them money. Even for those who the information may feel relevant, it only has a limited life span...likely the watch will be out of COSC specs before it's first service, and of course after the first service the numbers will be totally different.

The COSC results are only a snapshot in time.

Cheers, Al

6. GoDuke1 Oct 14, 2013

I just bought a SMP from an Omega Boutique and I can confirm I only had the warranty card and pictogram card. I asked about the COSC card and I was told I could order one for a fee.

7. mistakemistake Oct 15, 2013

I was able to get ahold of someone at Omega... They stated that the Chronometer Document Card was discontinued two years ago and are no longer given out. Only the International Warranty Card and Pictogram Card are given now.

watch3s and fskywalker like this.
  8. Squintstream Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for checking, it's appreciated and puts my mind at rest that I'm not missing anything !

Does anybody know how much it costs to get the COSC certificate from Omega? Just wondering...

Thanks again guys!

9. pernpettsof Nov 26, 2013

CHF 100 (Swiss Franc)

10. Spy You know my name. Nov 27, 2013

I guess many decades down the road some collectors will be after the pre-discontinued COSC card and pay handsomely....

11. Luiz Nov 28, 2013

I guess for the amount we pay for these watches, Omega makes a huge mistake without offering the COSC card. The saving is almost irrelevant due to the luxury implied on the brand and the price we pay for that, of course. If we were talking about a lower-level brand like Mido or Tissot, this card saving would be considerate but never on a brand like Omega.

12. om9c Nov 29, 2013

Omega should be offering the COSC card without which it is a big minus is what I feel. I've seen my collector friends listing their BNIB Omegas without the chronometer certificate which surprised me initially, but now I get to know this again is a marketing strategy of another reputed brand out there.​

13. Pelikanyo Feb 4, 2014

In January 2014, I purchased a Speedmaster Date (Panda) from the Omega Boutique in NYC.
    Included was the International Warr Card, Pictogram Card and the Chronometer Certificate.

14. Rod Feb 5, 2014

Greetings all! I'm new to this forum, and I am an avid watch enthusiast and (somewhat of) a collector.

On June 12, 2013, I purchased an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (Steel / Teak-grey dial / Black leather strap / 41.5 mm / 8500 Co-Axial) from the Omega Boutique in Jacksonville, FL.

Inside the box was the International Warranty card, Pictograms card, and... the Chronometer Certificate card.

fskywalker likes this.
  15. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 5, 2014

::book:: Watches produced in the second half of 2013 begin to show up with no COSC card. Just because you bought a watch in Jan 2014 doesn't mean it didn't sit around for a year before being sold to you. And as to the last comment my post applies to that too.

16. Rod Feb 5, 2014

You are absolutely correct sir! Similar case in point... I purchased a Rolex Datejust in February 2006 from an authorized dealer, only to later learn through their numbering system that the watch was actually a 2005 model. No big deal though.

As for Omega, do they not indicate a model year in their serial numbers, as does Rolex with theirs?

17. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 6, 2014

As to the exact date is hard but as for current models on your pictogram card there are two digits. Take that number and subtract 1 to get the model year of that watch (e.g. 14 would mean a 2013 year watch...)

18. Ru4scuba Feb 9, 2014

Interesting...had no idea they stopped issuing the COSC data

19. zcymontmae Oct 13, 2014

it might be an old new stock...

Waser likes this.
  20. Lee CL Oct 14, 2014

Yes, you are right, they only issue 2 cards nowadays, the international warranty card and the Pictogram card. The Pictogram card will have a COSC logo for all chronometer watches.