Forums Latest Members

Is the Accuracy of a Master Co-Axial the same as a Master Chronometer?

1. mrmahdi Oct 5, 2019

Greetings,

I have an Aqua Terra 150 that is a master co-axial. From what I gather it has the 8500g movement which is basically the same as the 8900 movement but with the METAS certification.

So does that mean that a master co-axial has the same accuracy as a master chronometer?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2019

Not the same specs. 8500G is measured over 5 positions, with an average daily rate tolerance of -1 to +6 seconds per day over those 5 positions.

The 8900 is measured over 6 positions, with an average daily rate tolerance of 0 to +5 seconds per day over those 6 positions.

mrmahdi, watch72 and kkt like this.
  3. larryganz The cable guy Oct 8, 2019

I think that he meant, "can or will the master co-axial typically be or often be as accurate as the master chronometer?"

mrmahdi likes this.
  4. watch72 Oct 8, 2019

Thanks for this good information.
    Are the 5 positions in 8500 the same and covered in 8900?
    If so, may I ask what is the 6th position of the 8900 and the significance of having this?
    Sorry if I asked too many questions. There's so much to learn..

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 8, 2019

Yes.

The position is with the crown pointing right as you look at the dial of the watch. It is also known as 12 high, as the 12 o-clock position of the dial would be pointing straight up.

The greater number of positions you check a watch over, the more difficult it is to keep the variation between positions smaller. It is a higher standard.

watch72 likes this.