Forums Latest Members

Is the 2016 Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph worth the money and will it hold its value over time?

1. Cas Aug 14, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am curious about your opinions.

I want to add a Speedmaster to my collection. I can imagine that (different from the original Speedy) it is possible that I want to sell it in the future. Is the 2016 Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph worth the money and will it hold its value over time (if you buy it at the grey market)?

https://www.omegawatches.com/watche...moonphase-chronograph-4425-mm/30430445201001/

2. Shailor Aug 14, 2017

The only ones that seem to shoot up in price are the limited edition pieces. I wouldn't buy this as an investment. Maybe you won't lose a lot on re-sale, but if you look at the watches currently for sale on this forum, there are a lot of really desirable watches around. Keeps prices in check.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  3. Kmart Aug 14, 2017

Modern Omegas generally drop precipitously in value over time, especially expensive ones. I would buy it with the intention of keeping it, and know that if you do end up wanting/needing to sell, you will lose money (how much depends on what you bought it for).

Saysay likes this.
  4. Df13 Aug 14, 2017

[​IMG]

Just buy what you like. I've lost money on just about every watch I've flipped, and I'm fine with it.

Bienne2998, Saysay, Larry S and 3 others like this.
  5. Cas Aug 14, 2017

Thanks for your reactions.

I agree losing money is inevetible. I am comparing the Speedmaster Pro to the Moonphase, and I can not choose! Which would you choose?

I am thinking about purchasing one (and maybe later buying the other one second hand).

So that's why am interested in the value of the Moonphase for example within 2 years... I think I am going for the Professional first.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 14, 2017

buy both on the forums. I'm pretty sure there's a moonphase here for a good discount over retail price.

7. Aronis Aug 14, 2017

Bought mine to wear, not as an investment. I know it dropped to 50% of the selling price the day I opened the box. The limited edition watches hold more value as with other limited edition things.

If you want an investment, buy stock!

Mike

Saysay likes this.
  8. Meme-Dweller Aug 14, 2017

I'm going to have to say No to both questions.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 14, 2017

New Watch = Water resistant and you know its history. Box and papers. Not an investment .. repeat ,,,,,,,Not an investment. Buy it because you have fallen madly in love and must have it. Personally this is a handsome beast. Too large for my taste but ya gotta love the Moonphase complication.

10. Alex_TA Aug 14, 2017

While Moonphase is a better watch in every objective parameter, it will lose 50% in two years.

Pro will lose much less.

Riviera Paradise and Foo2rama like this.
  11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Aug 14, 2017

Answers:

1. YES. If you like it.

2. NO. Most likely not.

...I miss Dennis.

Edited Aug 15, 2017
    lando likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 14, 2017

There is one for sale elsewhere which rather suggests that no, it wont hold its value vs the RRP or even vs the grey price but as suggested above, that isn't all that surprising for a non LE Omega. The rule of thumb is that non 321/861/1861/1863 Speedmasters lose money just like any other mainstream non limited Omega, the manual wind ones (including the Moonwatch and variants) with those movements seem to buck this trend but are the exception not the rule

Cas likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2017

All watches sub 75k will lose money except for some LE's.

Watches are like cars.

14. Cas Aug 14, 2017

It is quite a expensive watch with interesting details (for example the footstep on the moon). I don't know how much Omega will produce of these watches. Maybe it stops after 2 or 3 years. It could become a wanted watch in my opinion, even if it is not a LE. Maybe I am very wrong.

15. kippyk Aug 14, 2017

Guaranteed to lose $. Great looking watch though.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  16. N1CK Aug 14, 2017

I'm a real fan of the moonphase chrono, think it looks fantastic, and managed to combine a date function in a pleasing way - no mean feat with a speedy!

However I do find the RRP pretty eye watering. If it was a comparable price to the normal speedy I'd be sorely tempted, however it's not - it's double the price - which seems nuts to me.

17. Meme-Dweller Aug 14, 2017

That's because they have to hire a little man to step on the moon. They're just passing the cost onto the consumer.

oddboy and Shailor like this.
  18. Bushido Aug 15, 2017

To be fair, these two watches are not an apples to apples comparison. Number of complications, movement, and materials in the Moonphase far exceed the Pro. I own and enjoy both but the Moonphase is in a whole different league in my opinion.

@Cas: I personally think this reference is one worth owning. However, that is more subjective and based upon what you enjoy in your watch. My presumption, based upon your concern with flipping it, is that it will not be worth the loss on the turn around. For me, the cost is based purely on enjoyment in ownership.

Lastly, this thread is depressingly void of pics:
    IMG_20170805_144804[837].jpg IMG_20170805_144649[838].jpg

Kmart, Smspectre, oddboy and 3 others like this.
  19. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 15, 2017

You are comparing them as if they are versions of the same watch, they are not. The 2 register watches are a very different beast using unrelated movements, bearing only a superficial likeness and branding to the original 3 register Moonwatch. There has been a Moonwatch derivative moonphase around for years using a version of the manual wind Pro movement, those do loosely track the values of the Pro model, in my experience the 9300 2 register models don't since they were horribly over priced to start with and sit very high on the wrist.

Here is the Pro moonphase I am talking about:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional-chronograph-42-mm/35765000/

The 2 register models are part of Omegas long running campaign to push the Speedmaster brand up market and up in price. It started with the Broad Arrow variants and continues with the 9300 movement '57/x side of the Moon versions which are now circa £7-8k and as a consequence look pricey vs the Pro derivatives.

It reminds me of how Porsche tried to replace the 911 with the 928 in the late 1970s...

Edited Aug 15, 2017
  20. Df13 Aug 15, 2017

No kidding, although, ironically enough, the 911 has essentially now become the 928, albeit with the engine still in the back...and they're even inching that forward.

Foo2rama and padders like this.