Forums Latest Members

Is something wrong with this Planet Ocean watch?

1. SVaughan Oct 16, 2014

Recently purchased off ebay a 2500D movement Planet Ocean 42mm, so it's only a few years old. Anyway, it was not running when I received it so I unscrewed the crown/stem until it "popped" out to the winding position from what I've researched. I then turn it clockwise (towards top of watch) and when I put my ear to it I can hear what sounds like it's winding but about twice a revolution or I will hear "clicks". I wound it about 50 times, closed the crown and the second hand doesn't move. When I move the watch around a few times it will start running again. I was under the impression it should run just based on winding it which doesn't see to be the case-I need to shake the watch for it to start up. Does this sound right, any advice on something I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

2. Dogmann Oct 16, 2014

Hi SVaughan,

I not an expert but that just doesn't sound right to me as its an automatic so especially once you have wound it a bit in case the power reserve was empty it should start ticking no problem once the crown is pushed back in but it won't move the second hand if you have the crown pulled out. It may just need a service and that is what is causing your watch its problem I'm sure someone with more hands on experience with a PO will comment shortly but in the mean time if you could post some pictures of the watch that would also help identify it.

Marc

3. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2014

Sum Ting Wong. :p

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2014

The co-axial watches are not great "self starters" so unlike a Swiss Lever escapement, they will not just fire up and start ticking after a few winds of the crown.

However I would expect the watch to start before you hear the bridle of the mainspring slipping in the barrel - if you have just purchased this you might want to advise the seller of this so that if the watch stops at some point you might get some compensation for having it serviced for example.

Cheers, Al

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 17, 2014

My Cartier is like that (even less than 18 months after a Cartier service) but add that the crown is painful to wind and that is the reason I keep it on a winder.