Forums Latest Members

Is Seiko 7005 'auto wind' only - what does it mean?

1. ClarendonVintage Jun 8, 2018

Hi,

Thought I'd reach out to vintage Seiko owners regarding the vintage 7005 model. I have one of this from a few weeks back and while it runs well, it does not seem to manually wind? When I wind the crown, there is no catchment so initially I thought it was loose.

20180530_190413.jpg

Did some searches on WUS and it is described as auto-wind. Does this mean that it is futile to wind the crown, unless it is pulled out to set the time/date?

Cheers

2. larryganz The cable guy Jun 8, 2018

Yes, you are correct. Many less expensive or older Seiko watches only auto-wind but can't be manually wound. The Seiko NH35 movement used in some micro brands is an example of one that can do both.

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 8, 2018

Yeah, my late 70s Seiko is like that, and I've had it since new so I know it isn't damaged...

When I decide to wear one of these old lumps and I'm standing in the middle of the bedroom winding the thing by waving it back and forth as per the owner's manual my wife always has something unkind to say about "watch wanking" or some such thing.

and she wonders why I don't let her wear my Waltham....

4. ClarendonVintage Jun 8, 2018

Thank you Larry

5. ClarendonVintage Jun 8, 2018

Haha I can picture that scene in my head. On the other hand, it seems these auto wind watches are very sensitive to any movements - I have another vintage Favre Leuba that starts ticking the moment I pick it up and tilt it slightly.

6. larryganz The cable guy Jun 8, 2018

Seiko came up with their own design for a very efficient winder with their "magic lever".

ClarendonVintage and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 8, 2018

Completely normal and assumed on vintage Seiko and most under 500 until recently.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  8. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 8, 2018

The NH35s making their way into the current Seiko 5 range are, as @larryganz points out, automatic and allow manual winding. The 6138 chronograph could be manually wound but not the 6139, and the 7016 flyback was auto only.

ClarendonVintage and Foo2rama like this.
  9. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2018

Just do a few Pete Townsend windmills while air guitaring and your Seiko is wound.

tenor.gif

Wryfox, ClarendonVintage and Spruce like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 9, 2018

"Came up with their own design" might be a bit of stretch. IWC developed the Pellaton system in the late 1940's, and it uses a similar ratchet and pawl type system. But the Seiko system more closely resembles one made by a company called Otero in the mid-50's. Seiko didn't have the Magic Lever on the market until the late 50's.

While these systems are very efficient in winding, they also basically chew themselves up over time. You can see that the tip of the magic lever pawl that grips the intermediate winding wheel gets worn off over time...worn on the left, new on the right...

[​IMG]

I don't have photos of the Otero system, but this is the Pellaton system from an IWC 5002 I had in the shop a few years ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wear is just in the nature of the beast on these...

Cheers, Al

dialstatic and ClarendonVintage like this.
  11. ClarendonVintage Jun 9, 2018

Make that magic lever plastic! Lol

12. larryganz The cable guy Jun 9, 2018

I'm just a victim of Seiko marketing.

IDXM likes this.