Forums Latest Members

Is Neil Armstrong’s Speedie Reference Incorrect in First Man?

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 1, 2018

Edited Oct 1, 2018
  2. TLIGuy Oct 1, 2018

Good observation. I'll let you know later :thumbsup:

IMG_3402.jpg

3. abrod520 Oct 1, 2018

Looks like a FOIS they probably used. However, the movie covers not just Apollo XI but also Armstrong's journey through the Mercury and Gemini missions, during which he very well may have been issued a 105.003 like the rest. That said, the suit in this clip is from the Apollo missions - but it looks like that shot might not be from the movie and instead something Omega produced specially for marketing, no?

4. ext1 Oct 1, 2018

Yes, looks like a non-pro straight lug indeed...
    upload_2018-10-2_0-54-22.png
    upload_2018-10-2_0-57-7.png
    Can clearly see the two lines of text only.
    Maybe they used a straight lug during training back in the day?
    I don't think it's a FOIS, the crystal looks like it has round edges.

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 1, 2018

There goes the Oscar for Best Costume Design

hugo2703, GES11T, Paul Uk and 14 others like this.
  6. Basset Hound Oct 1, 2018

Well spotted. I have been wondering if they would get the watch right. I’m surprised they got this detail wrong.

7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 1, 2018

If you thought the “Flag Planting” was a big controversy, wait till this hits the fan ::psy::

I’m hearing from my West Coast sources that if Ryan Gosling couldn’t wear his own Ed White, he was walking out. ::stirthepot::

After all, he wore his own Omega in Lalaland.
    C52E2564-2E1B-4588-85E4-F29ACECEDF6B.jpeg

7F2F1BBF-6F7A-44BB-AB5F-554C0B4638B0.jpeg

GES11T and TDBK like this.
  8. TLIGuy Oct 1, 2018

After seeing the moving this evening the Omega video includes what I believe are many scenes that did not make it into the final movie thus may have been provided to Omega for their video. I'm quite confident the scene in question above with what appears to be a straight lug Speedmaster was indeed shot for the movie and not by Omega and must have ended up on the cutting room floor as it does not appear in the final movie.

Great movie with lots of Speedmaster content but nothing so overt that you felt like it was a big advertisement for Omega. Quite a bit of vintage JB Champion bracelet action as well which was nice to see but it appears they also sourced some odd bracelets as well that were close in appearance to the JB but not quite correct.

I also think the Gosling in the movie wears the same watch from La La Land prior to his astronaut selection but on a different leather strap. I may be incorrect but it does look identical to it.

Edited Oct 1, 2018
    abrod520, gminnj, vbrad26 and 2 others like this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 1, 2018

Perhaps some Gemex and Forstner Komfit bracelets.:)
    How exciting!

gminnj and TLIGuy like this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 2, 2018

:thumbsup:
    As in the Apollo 13 movie, the director of First Man probably also got it wrong here as during the walkout Armstrong & Collins wore the Speedmaster on the right wrist while Aldrin wore it on the left wrist....
    On the lunar EVA Armstrong did not wear a Speedmaster and Aldrin wore it on his right wrist... it's all in the details!

gemini4 and Gefa like this.
  11. chipsotoole Oct 2, 2018

This thread must get the "pernickety award" of the month. ..The film is apparently already getting lambasted in some quarters for not including a flag planting scene..( for which i can see both sides of the argument...it was after all a political race between ideologies).
    I reckon we should be grateful they got the brand and the general look right. If Omega had cared so much, I'm certain they'd have turned up on or before the first day of filming with a padded suitcase of era correct timepieces.

12. M'Bob Oct 2, 2018

And you expected what, something different?

13. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 2, 2018

Not much competition if posted on October 1st

14. M'Bob Oct 2, 2018

That, amigo, was pretty frickin' funny.

15. gdupree Oct 2, 2018

If it's a FOIS, then they at least had to swap the handset... if I had to guess I'd say the lug bevels look a little smaller, like an original, rather than the larger lug bevels on the FOIS.

Doubtful they would go through the trouble of using a period correct watch without checking if it was the watch he actually used, though. But, maybe they did know that he had a straight lug speedy during the Gemini program (even though it looks like their Apollo launch suits.)

Armstrong Straight Lug.jpg

16. gminnj Oct 2, 2018

I’m super-excited for this movie in general. I loved La La Land, I think Gosling is terrific, and like many here I grew up fascinated by NASA and the idea of space travel. If this is anything like The Right Stuff, and I’ve heard it is in that vein, I’m going to be thrilled.

The fact that there is Speedy content to look for is icing on the cake for me, sort of like an Easter egg hunt.

gemini4, TLIGuy and gdupree like this.
  17. TLIGuy Oct 2, 2018

There is tons of great Speedy content that will make anyone here happy to see the watches set up as they were used by the astronauts during this period on either the JB or JB like style bracelet or on the multiple wrapped around the wrist long Velcro straps. If you are really looking for total accuracy it didn’t happen but came closer to anything done before.

Not to be a spoiler, but if you are looking for a definitive answer to the question about what cases were used then the movie will not answer it for you. None of the Speedmaters in the movie are shown close enough to identify it one way or another. The picture from the Omega clip is the best picture and it does not appear in the movie.

There is one great shot were an astronaut is wearing the correct mesh style JB and if there was any astronaut it should be worn by they made the right call and I’ll let you all play spot the JB on October 12th.

gophishin, M'Bob and gminnj like this.
  18. Marty McDawg Oct 2, 2018

Apparently there is plenty of American references, patriotism, and even a couple massive imax scenes of the flag itself.

Apparently it’s been a bit of the “telephone game” in regards to the movie lacking the flag on the moon or it’s overal lacknof patriotism.

This is a story of an American family’s struggles and triumphs as well as an America’s struggle/race to the moon.

Hopefully people reserve judgment til after watching.

gminnj likes this.
  19. Screwbacks Oct 2, 2018

theatrical props usually deviates from actualities. but this speedy whether 002, 003 or 012 depicts more of the real story behind the first man on the moon. was any of the OF experts consulted prior to the filming of the movie?

Edited Oct 2, 2018
    gemini4 likes this.
  20. sat968 Oct 2, 2018

Us Americans are piss poor at such a reasonable concept. :(

Wombat123, kkt and Marty McDawg like this.