Forums Latest Members
  1. aeromast Dec 17, 2015

I'm sure you must get these threads a lot. Sorry. I'm more of a Rolex guy myself so I don't know much about Omegas.. nor do I have any idea about quartz movements. My girlfriend bought this as a Christmas present for me but after 2 minutes on youtube I found videos of what appeared to be very convincing fakes so I figured I'd ask before I wait too long incase it is a "replica"

* The serial number indicates the watch was made in or about 1991

* Definitely hacking when the crown is fully extended

* I have not had the back case removed to confirm the movement is accurate since I just received it within the last 2 hours.

One follow up question, since searching it isn't really getting me anywhere- can someone tell me if "full bar" links are plated or solid 18k?

Thank you in advance.
    $_5711.JPG $_5711.JPG $_577.JPG $_5710.JPG $_5712.JPG $_579.JPG

Edited Dec 17, 2015
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 17, 2015

Looks OK, serial number on the case back and Omega marked movement.

Replicas typically don't have these markings.

3. aeromast Dec 17, 2015

Cool, cool. Is there any definitive ways to make sure apart from taking it to an Omega dealer who will undoubtedly charge me $50-100 to tell? I just want to figure it all out while there's still a potential for recourse if it is a fake since she bought it on Ebay.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 18, 2015

Search Omega caliber 1438 pictures, compare your movement with other genuine Omega cal 1438 you should be able to convince yourself whether it is real or not. (Hint: fake watch during those years would not bother to copy real movement, that's already change now, say beyond 2012, you'll see scary movement copies of branded watches)

5. Geo! Dec 18, 2015

It's the real deal, I have an identical one myself. :)

Regarding the link question, they are not gold plated. If you remove the links and split the bracelet, there are 18k gold sleeves covering the middle parts of the links that can be slid off. I'm not too sure about the small outer ends, they appear to be solid, but I suspect they are gold capped, although they too could be small gold sleeves pressed on.

Edited Dec 18, 2015
  6. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 18, 2015

Looks real to me.

I would have the movement looked at and possibly cleaned by someone skilled, the battery is covered in finger prints and so is probably some of the movement bridges, if left alone it will result in corrosion. That tells me that someone mis handled the watch, so you should get it checked out.

Rob

ChrisN likes this.
  7. ChrisN Dec 18, 2015

I have the 1120 based automatic version of this watch and all those pieces are little gold sleeves. The claws and bezel are also gold. The crown in mine is gold too and I suspect yours should be as should the OPs but his seems to be steel.

Many years ago, the Swatch service centre in Eastleigh damaged my bezel and replaced it for free. I recently looked on Cousins for a new crown to restore the water resistance but baulked at the £200+ price. Noticed the bezel was about £1500! Luckily, it passed a 50m test with the old crown:)

Cheers, Chris

8. aeromast Dec 18, 2015

Thanks so much to all of you. :) I'm gonna' bring it to my watch guy to check out the battery and potential corrosion and the seals.
    After looking at this watch I've started looking at speedmasters.. I'm probably gonna have to pull the trigger this week, they're so timeless and classy...

Happy holidays!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. cfw Dec 18, 2015

Its legit I have a deville with a 1438 in. Nice present. If it doent have an Omega logo on it its probably a replacement movement

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450464014.889470.jpg

10. Geo! Dec 18, 2015

Whatever you do, don't rush it. Take your time and get a good one, read up on them, and take advice from the experts in the matter on this forum.

Remember, there are plenty of fish and .............. frogs around!

11. cfw Dec 18, 2015

Agreed, remember Omega made more than one