Forums Latest Members
  1. otsegony Jul 23, 2016

To All:

I inherited the Omega Automatic watch from my uncle when he passed away about 1995 or so. The watch wasn't running at the time so I had it serviced and it ran... for about six weeks and then stopped. This began a pattern where I would take or send this watch to various reputable watchmakers for servicing every few years. Then the watch would run for a time and then stop. Over the twenty years or so that I have had this Omega I have worn it less than six months in total. The rest of the time it sits in a drawer until I find it and make a renewed effort to have it repaired. The last repair was three or four months ago. I had the watch serviced, it came back running fine and keeping good time. Then the minute hand loosened on the shaft and swung freely. The repairman reattached the hand and sent it back. It happened again and he said that the hands need to be replaced and are no longer available.

This is very disappointing in that I really enjoy having this watch as a living memory of my uncle and I've probably spent several times the value of this watch on repair, but it looks like it is going to the back of the drawer again--probably permanently. So a couple of questions:

-I believe this watch dates from 1977, can anyone confirm that or tell me what the model or movement number is?

- The watch doesn't have any of the usual Omega model names like "Seamaster" or "Geneve." I assume that means this is a base model watch? Is that so? If so, what are the qualitative differences between the models? Is it the case material, movement quality or what?

- Can anyone tell me where I might find a source for hands that fit this movement? At this point I don't care if they are totally correct. A functional approximation of the original would be fine for me at this point.

Thanks!

Omege Watch.jpg

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 23, 2016

If you know what you're doing, take the case back off (if you don't, have a watchmaker do it). The reference # is on the inside and the movement number is on the movement.