Forums Latest Members
  1. jimmyd13 Jun 16, 2019

DaveK likes this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 17, 2019

Thanks for that explanation, it solves a little mystery we had last year.

I bought a pair of Bausch and Lomb loops for use in the shop, it keeps the shop monkeys from trying to borrow my stuff if you keep them supplied. The distortion as you moved away from center was so bad that they were returned to the vendor, the replacements sent free of charge went in the garbage pretty quickly. Now I know why.

It’s a little depressing to buy a respected brand name at a hefty price and get junk.

3. jimmyd13 Jun 17, 2019

Are B&L lenses made by Luxottica now or is that just the Ray-Ban line?

4. Wryfox Jun 17, 2019

My experience on powers:
    5x works best for all small things(less than 6mm or 1/4 inch)
    10x for fine work like examining proof marks and detail(things in the range of 1-2mm).

More magnification does not necessarily make things easier to see. Your eye and brain need context(ie background, edges, and surroundings) to see clearly.

DaveK likes this.
  5. Canuck Jun 17, 2019

Waltesefalcon and DaveK like this.
  6. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 18, 2019

aside from magnification, watchmakers and "watch repair technicians" usually use Aplanetic lenses that keep the distortion to a minimum. If you wear glasses, the standard is the Bergeon ARY loupe. Most WM's use 4x plus a magnifier to 10-11x.
    Rolex, Breitling, Omega all have standards for what to use for their work.
    The funny one was BreitlingUSA standard was- "can you see lint on the dial or crystal at 12 inches from your naked eyes? no? then its good to go" which led to hundreds of watches failing QC (my initial focus as Technical Coordinator for QC).
    I dont recommend EVER holding a loupe with just your eye. Buy several wire ring holders and get used to them. I see all sorts of hackish people just squeezing the loupe in their eye for a few seconds. It doesnt really let the eye relax and focus as it should...
    20 years and counting working 50-60 hours a week with a Bergeon ARY loupe

Ari

Waltesefalcon and M'Bob like this.