Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. fiveelementgirl

fiveelementgirl Feb 11, 2019

Hi friendly Omega folk

I have an old watch with sentimental value from my grandmother, but also some pressing medical bills so am considering selling it .I believe it is a Geneve , 9ct white gold and working fine (keeps time accurately )
    I will take it up to a jewellers but would rather not sell it them as I don't think I will get the best value for it.Have attached a few pics for reference.Any help much appreciated !

DSC_1304.JPG DSC_1305.JPG DSC_1310.JPG DSC_1318.JPG DSC_1320.JPG DSC_1321.JPG
  2. rincondeltiempo

rincondeltiempo Feb 11, 2019

In my honest opinion, I would keep it. The dollar amount you will get for it isn't unattainable through other sources. This is one of those situations that if you end up selling it, in the long run you will regret it.
    If I were you, and excuse my "free" advice, I would try to hustle a bit more to pay those bills. It will be both rewarding and proudful.
    Nevertheless, the last decision is yours. No matter what you decide, you will have to stick to it.

Cheers,
    Javi.

3. felsby

felsby Feb 11, 2019

What Javi said!

rincondeltiempo likes this.
  4. Stufflers Mom

Stufflers Mom Feb 11, 2019

I hope your medical bill is nothing more than having your toenails clipped.

fiveelementgirl likes this.
  5. Mark020

Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Feb 11, 2019

Not the nicest remark....

Anyway: value is limited to gold value plus a bit.

ChrisN and fiveelementgirl like this.
  6. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Feb 11, 2019

It's a very pretty "cocktail" watch and obviously of high quality.

Unfortunately it's a ladies watch (no great collector value compared to gents models) and in an English made case/bracelet (probably by Shackman in London) combo which would fetch slightly less than a Swiss produced model.

If you take it to a jewellers they will offer peanuts.

If you take it to a gold buyer you may get a bit more, not much more though.

I suggest putting it on eBay with a clear description and good photographs with a low starting price. While not a "collectors watch", there are people looking for something nice and vintage for their ladies, or even ladies looking for a nice vintage watch.

Good luck with it.

fiveelementgirl and Maybe like this.
  7. fiveelementgirl

Seems to be a bit more , local jeweller offered me £325..??

8. fiveelementgirl

That sound like a good plan, it is very pretty on - have checked it’s hallmark and it’s 1973 so can add that to the description .How can you tell it’s an English made bracelet , I’m intrigued !

9. Dan S

Dan S Feb 11, 2019

I think you might want to grab that offer.

ac106, Edward53, Mark020 and 6 others like this.
  10. connieseamaster

connieseamaster Feb 11, 2019

Jeweler probably already has an interested buyer. You won't do better anywhere else.

felsby and Shabbaz like this.
  11. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Feb 11, 2019

I agree, considering your time you spend to get it on eBay and then factor in the eBay charges, secure postage, postal insurance etc the offer looks much better.

Much less risk as well, no chance the jeweller can say "watch never arrived" or "watch was broken" or "watch isn't what I wanted".

12. TimtimeIntl

TimtimeIntl Feb 11, 2019

I agree. Go with jeweler sale!

Shabbaz likes this.
  13. FREDMAYCOIN

FREDMAYCOIN Feb 11, 2019

Jump on that offer as quick as possible.

KingCrouchy and Shabbaz like this.
  14. padders

padders Feb 12, 2019

I don’t actually think it is a Shackman bracelet, the markings don’t say DS&S and the hallmarks isn’t a native UK mark, it’s the London import mark for ‘73, meaning it’s not British. Take the £325, it likely isn’t worth more, unless there is more than 30g of 9k in it that is. What’s the total weight? If less than about 50g then there likely isn’t. If substantially more, then you need to find an honest gold buyer.

Edited Feb 12, 2019
  15. fiveelementgirl

fiveelementgirl Feb 12, 2019

Thank you all so very much for your input , I will pop up to th jeweller later and say yes then , would like to think it will go to someone who will love it as well .Have an old gold Sandoz as well but it’s a bit scratched so that is off to EBay .Its great that this forum exists for those of us who really are new to the world of watches !

16. fiveelementgirl

I suspect it is European and my grandmother was Austrian...

17. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Feb 12, 2019

Yes, quite correct. I didn't look too closely at the marks and made an assumption. As one knows, when one assumes, one makes an ass..........etc etc .

Obviously an imported item assayed in London in 1973 and the sponsor was OWC (Omega Watch Company).

I shall now go and have a beer and ponder over my failure to stick to my rule, never make an assumption.

Mark020, fiveelementgirl and padders like this.
  18. padders

padders Feb 12, 2019

Weigh it accurately, report back and we can give you a better informed opinion. The £325 may be fair but if the piece is very heavy it may not since the core value is in the 9k gold weight. Don’t forget that much of the head is not gold so you can’t just take the full gross weight as gold weight, this is why I quoted 2 weight values above.

Edited Feb 12, 2019
  19. fiveelementgirl

20. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Feb 12, 2019

Similar but not the same, the case is much different.

It is a Shackman produced one though!

;)

fiveelementgirl likes this.