Forums Latest Members
  1. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

hi Guys,
    I have inherited a vintage omega automatic seamaster watch. The watch has a lot of cosmetic issues, and I am not sure if it is worth restoring it.
    How old is this watch? how much would it cost to restore it? the crown does not look original to me, but I am not sure.
    best,
    Arnaud

3f25dcd7f723326f_large.jpg
  2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2016

felsby and DaveK like this.
  3. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

Hi Chris,
    Sure, sorry about that, I am new and did not see this post.. Sorry for the pictures, but this is the only one I have right now, but I will post more later.
    Couple of information that could help
    There is no omega sign on the crown. The back of the watch is identical to that one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MEN...467478?hash=item2c9fcb62d6:g:opYAAOSwT6pVyg9~Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This watch is from France and belonged to my grandfather. I believe it is from the 50-60's but I am not sure. My grandfather died in the 70's.
    The watch is in gold and is in working condition.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2016

No problem Arnuad.

I think it's safe to say that whether it is "worth it" on this piece probably depends on your level of sentimental attachement... and what sort of condition the movement is in etc.

Where are you in the world? Perhaps we can recommend a local watch maker who can give it a look over and quote you for restoration?

Spacefruit likes this.
  5. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

I like that watch. My father got it from his father and gave it to me when I was 12. I kept it in a drawer for many years. My father died 6 years ago and now I am thinking about restoring the watch. I would be happy to keep the vintage look, and the patina that goes with it. But i would like to fix minor issues, such as the non original crown (if not original), cleaning the dial . It is oxidized and one gold index (not sure how you call that) is missing at 6h. I would also be happy to have an original leather band, but I don't know the model of this watch, so not sure which band I should purchase. I can find tones of omega seamaster on google but non of them look 100% identical to mine.
    I am french, but I am living in the US. I am in Baltimore, MD. The watch is in France right now, but I am planning to go to France in 2 weeks so I can bring it back to US if necessary.

6. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2016

In that case, it's worth getting at least a quote to put it right.

I'm in the UK, so not all that helpful for watch makers in the US.... Anyone else care to step in with a recommendation?

7. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 4, 2016

Hi Doc!
    Looks like a fine watch you have there, and with the background I would have had it set straight if it was mine.
    I am sure a good vintage watchmaker can do this.
    Do not attempt in cleaning the dial. It will not work. My personal recommendations would be to replace the crown, get the missing index sorted and the movement serviced.
    Now getting a correct crown could be a bit tricky, and the dial index perhaps even harder.
    With a bit of luck the missing index can be found inside the watch case.
    Do not bring it to a big Omega dealer. They normally does not give a good vintage piece the respect it deserves in their chase for providing a "like new" watch back.
    Good luck!

felsby, Fordex, efauser and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

Thank you guys for taking the time to look at my post. I will definitely try to fix those issues. I guess it will be tricky to find the missing parts. The index might be inside the case, but I did not see it. Could it go inside the caliber? It is not in between the dial and the glass for sure. I never tried to open the case ever. Maybe some one did it in the past, I don't know.
    For the crown, can I purchase any omega one? Are they all the same for these type of vintage seamaster? I am willing to bring my watch to someone that can fix it, but I guess I will have to provide the missing parts if I don't go to an omega dealer.
    Do you have any idea where I could find those missing parts, except looking on ebay?
    best,

9. dx009 Apr 4, 2016

In my opinion the watch looks good. Not great, not terrible, but good. I'm not sure what you mean by restoring it, but I believe that if a professional was to give it a nice cleaning it would look pretty neat. Hope to see more pictures.

Just from your picture it looks nice, overall. Hope the rest is in similar shape.

Dr. Arnaud and Spacefruit like this.
  10. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to clean the dial, but Northernman thinks that it is not a good thing to do, so I won't do it. The glass is fine, but the case is a little bit scratched. Is it a good idea to polish it since it is gold?
    On top of that, i want an original crown, fix the index if possible and an original strap with the right buckle.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 4, 2016

You want a watchmaker not a jeweler. Preferably one who has a reputation in restoration. There have to be some in the beltway / Baltimore region.

12. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

13. dx009 Apr 4, 2016

If it's gold plated polishing it is a no go. Doesn't seem touched from your picture though....

You should be able to find most parts on ebay, or perhaps some specialized store. As for the strap, you could find a new Omega leather one I guess, in one of their store or also ebay/webshops.

14. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

Right. I don't thing it is plated since I still see gold color inside the scratches.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

Turn it over and look at the underside of the lugs for hallmarks.

Otherwise, wait until service time and look inside the caseback for more hallmarks.
    gatorcpa

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  16. marturx Apr 4, 2016

Looks like a late 50ies ref 2848 cal 501 in 18K gold. Seems to be in very good condition, should renovate nicely. It will be well worth to do it too, from a strict financial point of view. Add some affection, and it's no doubt about it whatsoever :)

Syrte likes this.
  17. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

Alright. I will look for those hallmarks and post them here. Should I try to open the case?

18. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2016

NO! Sorry, no. A very easy way to cause damage if you're not 100% certain that you know what you're doing.

Spacefruit and efauser like this.
  19. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

20. Dr. Arnaud Apr 4, 2016

Are usually crowns gold plated? it looks like mine was and that the gold faded away with the time. It is not as shiny as the case is.