Forums Latest Members
  1. Jefferson790 Apr 8, 2016

I inherited a Seamaster Ref 176.007 from my grandfather. This is my first Omega. The only AD in my area was a big box jewelry store. I took it to them and they sent it to Omega for $20 to have a service bid. They just called and told me it needed a regular service and a new bezel because the luminescence and something else about it were worn off. I am used to an old Rolex where the patina matters. The watch has no sentimental value to me and my grandpa told me it never worked well and needed to be sent to Chicago every year to me tuned up for $75. He is the original owner. The quote for the service is about $1700 which I would expect on an AP but seemed excessive. Is this worth it or should I save the money? I am sorry I didn't take a closeup of the watch before I sent it off. Thanks for the help in advance. Also, they offered a new bracelet for $500.

JEFF

2. cimo Apr 8, 2016

Omega will only ever restore a watch to "factory" condition. This means they typically replace parts that may not need replacing, just because they have some patina, which as a Rolex owner you mentioned you know is valued. If you look around there have been some threads lately describing the unfortunate experiences some Omega owners have gone through after sending their vintage pieces to Omega. Will they fix your watch? Certainly, but many of the parts which give it a vintage character will likely get replaced. It is also why they quoted you $1700. Your best bet is to find an independent watchmaker who will service the movement of your watch while maintaining as much originality as possible. I would bet this will also be a much less costly option. If it holds no sentimental value to you, then $1700 is a lot to ask, IMO.

3. Ravineman Apr 8, 2016

Without seeing the watch, in my opinion, if the watch holds no sentimental value to you, just keep the watch - as is - in a drawer, and put the money towards a new watch or a vintage watch you like and wear and enjoy for a lifetime.

4. Buck2466 Apr 8, 2016

I wonder how much of a cut of the $1700 is the big box jewelry store taking? I would find a reputable watchmaker that can service the movement and leave it original as possible. Tell us where you live and someone here can recommend one.

5. Jefferson790 Apr 8, 2016

I live in Milwaukee, WI. Thanks. Does anyone here have Omega do their work or everyone uses a local expert?

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 8, 2016

PM me, I have a great Omega watchmaker that is very fair, and works with collectors,

7. DON Apr 8, 2016

Best to post a picture of the watch to see if it's worth doing any work on it. Also movement if possible

DON

8. Jefferson790 Apr 9, 2016

That's unfortunately all I have for pictures. I thought it was going to be around 1k to do what I wanted done but Omega had different ideas.

2016-03-20 13.45.11.jpg
  9. dialstatic Apr 9, 2016

In any event don't do the bracelet. The correct 1170/653 is no longer available, and they'll likely put on a new 1162/172 (straight end links) or something. Yours doesn't appear to be broken, just some stretch.

Their bezel remark is weird, because it isn't lumed. Maybe the white paint is chipping or something though.

In good state, these watches sell for around what they quoted you for repairs. If it has no emotional value, I'd just keep, or even sell, it as-is. Personally, I'm interested in the dial, hands and bracelet, so dibs if you ever decide to sell in this state ;)

Edited Apr 9, 2016
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 9, 2016

My Speedmaster I have sent to Omega the past three times it needed service; I had Treiber and Straub in Brookfield handle that for me.

I send watches to Weslely Grau in Gurnee IL. So far he's done an OK job for me. Not perfect, alas.

You could try sending it to Wes and see what he says.

Tom

11. TNTwatch Apr 10, 2016

Externally, the watch looks to be in great shape, just the crystal may need to be replaced. Sometimes the crystal comes with the bezel included and costs around $100. Movement service will be much less with independent watchmakers, check here for example price, movement parts cost is extra.

12. siguzzi Apr 11, 2016

So you lucky guy caught a Semaster automatic with referenz 176.007. Inside is the Oega 1040 movement. It comes from Lemania (Calibre 1340 there) and was the first Omega autmatic Chronograph movement and the predecessor of the Lemania 5100 movement. While the Lemania 5100 movement got plastic parts inside the 1040/1340 doesn´t.
    I´m not sure if the correct 653 end links are on your bracelet. The number is stamped on the end links.
    I would try to find a watchmaker that is confirm with the movement and only do a movement service and polish the crystal.
    Good luck, it´s worthwhile. The 176.007 is a nice watch. There where different types of it. One version with silver and two with blue dial.

13. siguzzi Apr 11, 2016

14. dialstatic Apr 11, 2016

Well, personally I think it will always be worthwhile as I absolutely love 007's. I've been pouring a disproportionate amount of money into restoring the one that my father used to own to 100% original condition. But that's fine, as it will never be sold (by me, anyway).

But given that the TS stated that he has no emotional connection to the watch, I interpreted his question about "if it's worth it" in a more economic sense. I'd agree that it's likely "worth it" financially to have a good independent watchmaker service the movement and keep dial, hands, bracelet, case as they are now (as long as no serious issues with the movement are encountered). But the $1700 Omega service the TS was quoted, is certainly not worth it from an economic perspective. They'll replace/refurbish everything to factory new, and these 007s have recently sold between $600 for parts and $2200 for a perfect example on eBay. They're no Speedmasters...

Regarding the end links: they're indeed certainly not the elusive 653 links, but I have seen this style on 176.007s before. I think they may originally have been end links for the 176.001.

Edited Apr 11, 2016
  15. blubarb Apr 11, 2016

In my view, t's almost always worthwhile restoring an Omega as long as it's done thoughtfully and sensitively, just hunt around for the right restorer/repairer. Money is an important factor for sure, but arguably more important is that it ends up accurately reflecting the age and history of the watch and not a sheep dressed as lamb :confused:

16. dialstatic Apr 11, 2016

Agreed in principle, but my point was that this may not in fact be more important to the person currently possessing the watch. Hunting for the right watchmaker and having it professionally restored entails an investment (time, money) with a somewhat uncertain outcome (what will the watchmaker encounter? can I recoup the cost in a sale?), while it also has value now, as-is. I'd be interested in it for its parts, for example, so an investment in restoring it would decrease my interest (as it increases price).

Ravineman likes this.
  17. Ravineman Apr 11, 2016

Restoring it would be fine if its something you like/want. Restoring it as an investment to sell will likely be unprofitable.

dialstatic likes this.