Forums Latest Members
  1. sdre Jun 27, 2018

So, in my watch collecting history; I had the pleasure of owning a 3592 (1992 speedmaster with lovely tritium), a modern Moonwatch, and the most recent, 57 Trilogy Speedmaster.

However, each and every time, I have sold each model to fund another purchase.

The deciding factor for me was that; it was too thick to wear a nato with, so its either leather straps or bracelet. I enjoyed the 57 Trilogy Speedy immensely on the bracelet.

However, looking over at some 145.022 models on Private sales, I realize they are still within reasonable price range (3000-5000 USD) along with speedmaster101 pricing charts. I enjoy the AML and stepped dial look, and of course if the dial is slightly chocolate; then it will demand a higher price.

I ABSOLUTELY love my SM300, and I thought a Speedmaster would be a nice pairing for it. However, I find the speedmaster looks "bigger" though they share the same lug to lug as well as dimensions (42mm).

Anyone here ever not "get" the speedmaster, then finally got it?

2. M'Bob Jun 27, 2018

There is one person you can consult who can certainly tell you about stage one, and is certainly not in stage two...

Davidt, Mad Dog, Kmart and 4 others like this.
  3. moorey Jun 27, 2018

Try a good NASA velcro strap.

Mad Dog likes this.
  4. sdre Jun 27, 2018

I tried the one that came with the Moonwatch but didn't quite get around with it... even after searching OF on how to wear it... i gave up :(

5. chipsotoole Jun 27, 2018

I'd love a vintage Speedmaster. I really would. Unfortunately, despite having the watch bug bad, I'm not in the position of considering 3-5k reasonable. I'd have have sell off all my JLC's, a couple of Lemania's, and perhaps some bog standard seamasters (which I really should sell anyway) to be in a position to buy one and frankly I prefer having more choice on a daily basis . I'm pretty happy with having a nice 69/70 Mark II it satisfies my astronaut daydreams.
    If your main problem simply boils down to the comfort factor, ie you want the watch feeling thin on your wrist on a NATO, then you really should be looking elsewhere. I'm sure there is a decent supply of vintage "Thinline" type chronographs from other manufacturers to choose from.

sdre likes this.
  6. sdre Jun 27, 2018

Appreciate the reply. I have a Heuer Camaro 9220, which wears really nice and slim... but i think you can't get away from the classic omega speedmaster looks :(

7. MaiLollo Jun 27, 2018

This is going to be expensive, but a straight lugs should do the trick for you... :)
    Although I think thickness is more or less the same, I feel like they wear better with the smaller case size

marco and sdre like this.
  8. gdupree Jun 27, 2018

I think the reason that it can feel so uncomfortable on most NATO straps is because the height/position of the spring bars in relation to the watch's horizontal axis... @Foo2rama has smartly brought this up several times, so I will steal one of his photos that illustrated it wel. So, all credit to him in that regard:

Foo2.jpg
    Check out how high the spring bars are located on the speedy vs the SKX relative to the bottom of the watch that sits against your wrist. A NATO strap on an SKX hardly has to even bend to get around the spring bars, whereas the strap would have to make nearly 180 degree bends to make it up and around the Speedy spring bars. So, taking that and applying it to a solution, I think that you can see one of the main issues is finding a NATO that is flexible enough to mold & conform to those more extreme bends that it needs to make it around those spring bars. One that I found that works great is the Haveston NATO, because it's more cloth-like (but in a good way), and less like other super rigid nylon NATO's, it conforms easily and is super comfy. I have no problem with the speedy's height while wearing that type of NATO... On the reverse side, the ADPT NATO's by worn & wound are super thin, but so stiff that they can't make those bends and are ultimately very uncomfortable wear with the speedy... A single pass leather nato can do this well too, provided the leather isn't overly thick.

Mad Dog, sdre, shishy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Seaborg Jun 27, 2018

Maybe you can try a canva strap (that will basically look the same than a NATO without the additional tickness) :whistling:

sdre likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2018

3 strikes, yer out! ;)

Umpirethirdstrike_crop_exact.jpg

11. Seaborg Jun 27, 2018

Maybe you can try a NATO made of smooth squirrel skin :p

nixf6, Mad Dog, larryganz and 3 others like this.
  12. M'Bob Jun 27, 2018

I did. Still wasn't sufficient to keep enough blood in there...

Mad Dog and kingsrider like this.
  13. OWa Jun 27, 2018

You could also try a perlon strap. Just google for some wrist shots.
    Cheers

14. sdre Jun 27, 2018

Wow. What a reply..thanks for explaining.

That made Alot of sense too.

Yeah I got most of my natos from cheapestnato and the more expensive ones from toxic natos. But they all wore Chunky and thick.

Sounds like I need to give haveston a try?

Sorry what do you mean by wornandwound being thin yet stiff?

Thanks

15. abrod520 Jun 27, 2018

If you want a thin NATO try PhenomeNATO, they're the new high-quality tight weave style but very wispy and thin.

In terms of thickness, I find BluShark to be very thick, Omega to be the right combo, and PhenomeNATO to be too thin - but you might find you like it.

sdre likes this.
  16. sdre Jun 27, 2018

Awesome. Thank you!

17. abrod520 Jun 27, 2018

Also, if you’re going to be using a NATO strap, you should buy some curved springbars instead of looping the strap through the straight bar. Makes a big difference

tikkathree and sdre like this.
  18. tikkathree Jun 27, 2018

So get some +1mm or +2mm spring bars and bend them. Some leather natos and zulus come shipped with bent bars.

19. asrnj77 Jun 28, 2018

Just get a two piece set. You get the NATO/Zulu look without the extra bulk. I saw a Kangaroo leather nato that was supposedly extra strong and thin if you feel the need for an actual NATO

sdre and Seaborg like this.
  20. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 28, 2018

Umm just use a proper strap. NATO’s exist to solve a problem not many of us will encounter: how to keep the watch secure if you engage in hand to hand combat and a spring bar breaks. Since I don’t engage in bayonet drill on a daily basis, I take the risk.

nixf6, Davidt, BatDad and 3 others like this.