Forums Latest Members
  1. josh005 Jun 28, 2014

Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm relatively new to the world of watches and totally new to Omega. I found this at an estate sale and I'm trying to figure out if it's real. I haven't been able to find anything quite like it on the internet, although I have seen similar looking watches. This one has (what I assume to be) luminous glow-in-the-dark dots at the end of each hour marker and is NOT marked "Swiss Made" on the face. The face is marked with Omega and AUTOMATIC on top and Seamaster below. The back is marked "10KGFBEZ" on one line and "STEEL BACK." On the second.

When I found it, it hadn't been worn for a while, the leather strap was rotting and metal clasp was very corroded. But, after a few shakes it started ticking and has been keeping perfect time for the last few hours.

I'm inclined to believe it's real just because given it's age and apparent lack of service it's keeping good time and seems to be running well.. But, I have zero for comparison. If it's a fake, it's an old fake.

Sorry for the poor image quality, I can try to get better pictures later if they'd help.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/info anyone may have, as I said I'm totally new to Omega. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 28, 2014

It may well be a local production Seamaster with a US made case. The dial has been refinished at some stage, but the Omega logo looks right to me. However, until you have the back of the watch opened to reveal the movement and the case number on the inner case back, it is difficult to say whether it's 'real' inside.

Care is needed in opening the case. Also, I would not have the movement going until it has been dis-assembled, cleaned and oiled, the absence of lubrication leading to damage and wear of the moving parts.

Cheers

Desmond

3. josh005 Jun 29, 2014

Thanks Desmond! I have a case wrench somewhere, I can try to open it later this week and get a picture.

Is there anything in particular I should be aware of when opening (other than the standard it's delicate and has lots of small parts disclaimer)?

What is a local production? Does that mean a local jeweler put an omega movement and face in a (non-Omega) case they already had? Assuming your theory is correct what does that do to value? I like the watch, so I’ll probably keep it, I’m really just trying to figure out what I have.

Also what should I be asking for to have the watch serviced? I call my local Omega store and they recommended an overhaul for around $1000? Is that asking for more than I need?

Thanks again for your help!
    Josh

4. larryganz The cable guy Jun 29, 2014

For the first question above, one seller had this as an answer that might fit your watch's situation,
    • "What is a custom made case?
      vintagetraderonline : A custom made case usually remains unsigned. However, this doesn't mean it is a new aftermarket case, these are vintage cases often made under the brand’s regulations that sent the dial-movement parts to be assemble with the cases which were manufactured in the US and South America to avoid import taxes on complete watches between the 40s and 60s"

As for service, you should be able to find a local watchmaker to service it for $200-300, and I believe Omega charges about $700 or so for a vintage watch, but they will replace parts that you don't replaced if you don't ask them not to, and they will refinish the case and might go farther than you want.

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 29, 2014

Yes, local production means a case, say, made in the US that holds a movement and usually dial made in Switzerland. The Norman Morris Corporation used a number of US case makers to house Omega Movements. Agree with Larry, I would avoid Omega service centres as they wish to refurbish rather than conserve and generally will send the watch to Switzerland, it returning looking brand new, which doesn't seem to be the point with a vintage watch.

Regards

Desmond

6. josh005 Jul 2, 2014

Hi guys, thanks so much for your help -- very informative. I opened it up tonight and I'm pretty sure it's real. I tired to take some pictures but I only had my phone and they didn't turn out. I'm pretty sure it's a 550 movement and based on the model number I think the Omega website is telling me it's from 1964.

So, one last question, any idea what this is worth? I'm trying figure out if it's worth spending a few hundred dollars to have it serviced and wear daily or not. I see lots of sold watches on eBay, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. I only paid $5 for it, so I should have room if that watch is worth it.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 3, 2014

Yep it is real. A Norman Morris commissioned case made by Jonell. Seventeen jewel cal 550 imported directly form Switzerland. These 17 J movements were imported to avoid the excessive duty on movements over 17J and were housed in local cases for models that were essentially entry level for the Omega range, thus offering good quality at a reasonable price.

Cheers

Desmond