Forums Latest Members

Is it true these use Seiko movements?

1. imt58 Sep 1, 2012

If so they're incredibly cheap!

2. imt58 Sep 1, 2012

3. ulackfocus Sep 1, 2012

I'm going to pretend I didn't see this thread and never clicked on that link.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

I believe Invicta uses Miyota mechanical movements. Miyota is owned by Citizen, not Seiko. I'm not a watch snob and think that these watches give good value for money.

One of my Dad's friend has one and loves it.
    gatorcpa

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

Trouble I have with these is their lack of any originality, when you can buy a Seiko Monster, or even better a vintage Seiko 150M or GMT for the same money that has some history style of its own.

marco likes this.
  6. astrosfan Sep 2, 2012

That, plus their crappy build quality and even worse customer service are legendary...

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

At a major department store a while ago I saw a guy wearing a two-tone Rolex Submariner, I had my SS Sub on at the time and I said "Oh is that the new ceramic submariner?"

He goes ah no, it isn't, its an Invicta not a Rolex. He then went on to explain how its a homage rather than a fake and what the difference is.

Nobody wearing a Seiko Monster ever had to give the "Its not a Rolex, but its not a fake, its a homage" talk.

Surbarbro and astrosfan like this.
  8. ulackfocus Sep 2, 2012

Well, I guess I am a watch snob when it comes to Invicta. ;):p On another forum with the "Like" feature, I only use it in the daily wrist check threads - and my rule is never "Like" an Invicta or Renato because of the schlockNBC TV huckster affiliation both brands have. To each his own though. I'd rather spend the same money on a vintage Bulova or Benrus.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

True that, but Seiko has had Rolex Oyster knock-offs in their line-up for a very long time. My mom has worn one for over 20 years. So does Citizen and Alpha. I simply choose not to own them and not criticize other non-WIS types who don't wish to pay Swiss prices for a simple mechanical watch (which frankly, are quite ridiculous at the bottom of the product lines).

There are plenty of old-line Swiss and German watch company who spout off about their European heritage, then stick cheap Chinese mechanicals inside and charge 5 times what Seagull or Alpha charge for essentially the same watch.

If you dislike the Invicta company simply because of the ShopNBC connections, then I suppose that is your right. However, Invicta makes plenty of their own designs, too.

It is the watch you hate, or just the marketing?
    gatorcpa

10. smithrjd Sep 14, 2012

Don't really like Invicta. If you see an Orient watch, it is a real automatic built in house and is still inexpensive. I believe that Seiko does now own Orient, but they are left to they own as far as watches. They are rated as good or better than the Citizen's and Seiko's.

astrosfan likes this.
  11. Whirling Sep 14, 2012

At least you didn't have to hear that from your significant other. :)

Regards,
    Jon

P.S. Please refer to the deli scene in the movie "When Harry Met Sally."