Forums Latest Members

Is it time to know what time is?

1. Omegafanman Mar 19, 2019

To really know what time it is, do we need to know what time is?
    I am wondering if any of the erudite OF membership can shed light on the true nature of time for a layman like me… what the hell is it. I was aware of the time arrow and fractal flows, but I am now reading that Scientists claim to have reversed the direction of time with a quantum computer. They say they have created a state that evolves in a direction opposite to that of the thermodynamic arrow of time. So maybe there is a chance I can go back and buy a mint 1957 trilogy set (yes plus a Ranchero!) …. If I can afford a Quantum smart watch?
    Seriously does anybody know 100% what time is? For sure it is ticking away for all of us so we should not waste a minute of it measuring our passing seconds wearing something we don’t love. For whom the bell tolls, or as the English pubs say… Time gentlemen(and ladies) please

time gentlemen pleasebw.jpg
    marco, Dash1, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  2. time flies Mar 19, 2019

Chicago Transit Authority said it all before.

have fun
    kfw 20181012_161704.jpg

3. Omegafanman Mar 19, 2019

Does anybody really know what time it is (I ......still ......don't) …...Does anybody really care (care about time) :0)

4. wsfarrell Mar 19, 2019

Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Gasman, jB1128, pnwyankee and 8 others like this.
  5. OMEGuy Mar 19, 2019

That's an interesting question...

Time is something strange. It is something we have and even measure, while we do not know how to use it. At the same time, we spend our entire life searching for it while it's already here. And when we run out of time, we regret that we did not find it earlier.

Edited Mar 19, 2019
    DaveK, apsm100 and Omegafanman like this.
  6. Katana Mar 19, 2019

Yes, we know what time is. Time is a human convention of measuring patterns of change within our universe. Chinese philosophical thought, especially Daoism, believes that the universe happens through patterns and rhythms of change. One way humans have utilized that early on, specifically in agricultural communities, was to find ways to measure patterns and rhythms of change from day to night, winter to summer etc. as such measurements are needed for the effective growth of crops.

Time isn’t something inherently found in our natural world, but is a concept that humans invented, just like inches, or money... they are all just measurements of different kinds of attributes, such as patterns, rhythms, size, wealth etc.

Edited Mar 19, 2019
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2019

Just to follow up on previous posts......................

Omegafanman and time flies like this.
  8. Vitezi Mar 19, 2019

Texas Toast, dougwhiz, mjb and 2 others like this.
  9. M'Bob Mar 19, 2019

No, but for sure, I know whose side it's on...

Edited Mar 19, 2019
    Omegafanman likes this.
  10. Professor Mar 19, 2019

Time is the school in which we learn.
    Time is the fire in which we burn.
    Delmore Schwartz

kkt and Omegafanman like this.
  11. IanS Mar 19, 2019

Correct - clocks and calendars simply divide our natural days and years into even divisions called months, minutes, seconds, and hours. We humans call it time, but it's only the ruler we use to measure the rotation and orbit of the planet we reside on. According to theory, time can move slower and faster according to the relative speed you're moving. That's just theory though, as time is a concept beyond our comprehension.

12. Professor Mar 19, 2019

The first three dimensions are height, width, depth. The fourth dimension is "duration".

13. Steve88M3 Mar 19, 2019

I don’t have time for this.

dialstatic likes this.
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 19, 2019

well, it's like the old numbering systems in which the measures were originally 1, 2 and "many".

when it comes to Time, there was "then", "now" and "then".

has anything really changed?

:confused:

time flies likes this.
  15. Professor Mar 20, 2019

Make time. A watched thread never boils.
    Well there's "Now and Then" and "Apocalypse Now" and "that one time at band camp".

16. Noddyman Mar 20, 2019

Omegafanman likes this.
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 20, 2019

Also worth watching .

Omegafanman likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 20, 2019

If the sun's coming up it's early.

If the sun's going down it's time for a drink.

If I see the hot Lotto girl on TV it's Thursday.

I think that's about as complicated as I want it to get at the moment.

MMMD, 83n, Barking mad and 3 others like this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 20, 2019

Time is the only thing the Americans follow the rest of the world with so leave it the fuck alone.

It’s 9/16s to midnight ::stirthepot::

Edit: I’m in the US at the moment ;)

Omegafanman and Steve88M3 like this.
  20. Omegafanman Mar 20, 2019

Thanks everyone – it is going to take me a while to wade through all the info.
    and for any Chicago residents, what carol do you sing on Xmas day if the transit isn’t running on time….noeL.. noeL ….

I like the thought that time stops everything from happening at once....or is it needed to allow things to happen at all. Without time does everything stop and if the big bang started time, then what started the big bang...a bomb without a fuse. Also in a total empty void can there be any time...but if you add enough stuff/matter at a critical point it will condense and time plus light appears to stop (all relative of course)...yet black holes also have entropy so they evaporate over time. It is hard because this all gets mixed up with our biological clock and internal memory. Ultimately is time a construct, a fictitious concept linked to various true physical variable phenomena which we perceive as time passing. If they decide time is real and maybe
    quantised we can all then chase a Chronon watch accurate @ 10-43 Seconds :0) ……. At the moment I don’t think they really know. They say going very fast can take you back in time....a friend of mine tried that and it worked... took him back to a time before he had his driving licence.....