Forums Latest Members

Is it possible to roughly date and value a Speedy from a single photo?

1. Mr Bing May 9, 2016

I don't own a Speedy, have never owned a Speedy and have little knowledge of them but I could be persuaded if the right one came along.

So this has come to my attention....

image.jpeg

As a Speedy virgin I honestly have only a small idea of what I'm looking at. I've asked the third party seller a few questions and requested a photo of the movement but, so far, it's like extracting teeth from a hen.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone can put a date to this and point out any flaws. Also, what could I expect to pay if everything checks out OK.

Thanks

Paul

2. WatchVaultNYC May 9, 2016

It's possible, but probably a bad idea.

KstateSkier, jB1128 and Just Livin like this.
  3. jB1128 May 9, 2016

Aside from asking the good folks here for advice, you may want to check out the Speedmaster assessment guide on speedmaster101.com - like here, lots of great info!

rbob99 likes this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 9, 2016

I would guess 76-79 with new hour and minute hands.
    The dirty lume would put me off.

5. Waynepjr May 9, 2016

The guy at the fair can estimate you weight too, but you don't win much if he is wrong. Without proper pics, case back info and movement serial numbers I would not advise it, could cost you big.
    As Speedy's are increasing in price, so are the number of frankens. As with any vintage watch, always verify authenticity before purchasing and ask questions from the more informed if unsure. It can save you not only money but embarrassment down the road.

Just Livin likes this.
  6. abrod520 May 9, 2016

It's an '80s Speedmaster (possibly a late -76 or -78) with a replaced bezel. Lume from that period should not be so degraded so I'd be wary of what awaits inside.... Looks like it's seen rough times.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 9, 2016

I can tell you that it is no earlier then a mid 76 watch. Assuming that is the original dial. Movement pictures are needed, if you want to ballpark the price. The gunk on the hands and the lume looks to be in rough condition for that time period. Hands appear to have been replaced also. The bezel also appears replaced if that was the dial on the watch.

::EDIT::
    Man a bunch of you chimed in while I was typing!

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  8. sky21 May 9, 2016

My guess from one photo would be from the 80's with a modern replacement bezel and probably replacement hands. All that being said, having to extract anything from a seller should tell you all you need to know, walk away.

WatchVaultNYC and Just Livin like this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 9, 2016

So you have one photo, and the seller is difficult.....

Man that would have to be cheap for me to make a punt.

And dont forget, when you finish, its still going to have toilet plots - unless the photo is being unkind.

Thats after you service, find correct vintage hands that look good with that dial, a new bezel, and we dont even know if it works.

I dont think speedys have become that hard to find.

Anything over $1000 on this watch and you can count me out.

KooKoo, Foo2rama, sky21 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Just Livin May 9, 2016

At a min a good seller should show you:
    - Movement
    - Serial Number
    - Case back (Outer and inner)
    - Bracelet details (if with or without)

To get nothing but only one photo raises alarm bells.
    To get nothing after asking for those details is a simple 'walk away':)

KstateSkier and sky21 like this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 9, 2016

More photos more money. But not until then

12. abrod520 May 9, 2016

Agreed - given the state of the lume on the dial, and the paint on the hands, it looks like this watch has seen either a whole lot of sunlight, some moisture inside the crystal, or both. I'd expect to spend some money restoring the movement from that state, and this being one of the more common Speedmaster references, it's not really worth it unless the watch has some sentimental value.

Just Livin and sky21 like this.
  13. Just Livin May 9, 2016

Even then. Even then with all the photos....start trying to figure out what looks wrong:) what has been replaced:) If anything:) welcome to the wonderful world of being a Speedy addict.

sky21 likes this.
  14. Mr Bing May 9, 2016

Thanks folks....seems like I have a habit of finding the duds lately. Appreciate the honest comments. Cheers.

15. Dgercp May 9, 2016

But, they are honest toilet plots :)

16. Just Livin May 9, 2016

Well its not a dud until the seller shares the details and price.

trackpad likes this.
  17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 9, 2016

Forget the photo, for me, this alone is a deal killer.

Traveler likes this.
  18. Just Livin May 10, 2016

Did you ever get any feedback from the dealer? Just curious if it went anywhere.

19. ewand May 11, 2016

20. Mr Bing May 11, 2016

And your point is?

There was no deception here, the third party seller was the auction house. I asked for a condition report and extra photos (specifically movement) and that information was not forthcoming.

I've been advised by several members here not to show my hand with regard to auction pieces and show only photos, and this is exactly what I did. I was asking for a rough idea of age and value with a view to getting this piece at a low price.

No harm, no foul and no....I didn't bid on this watch.

Best

Paul