Forums Latest Members

Is it better to sell a watch before or after a complete service?

1. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 5, 2017

A recent purchase of a 145.022-71 with a blue DNN bezel forces me to sell my favorite daily beater (2254.50).
    It's currently running 4-6 sec. slow a day and like all "beaters" the bracelet is in need of a clean-up.
    It's a complete set (boxes, cards, books) plus an extra link and the original sales receipt.
    Should I offer it as is minus $300.US +/- for service or sell it as is?
    As always, thanx for your guidance. Miki

2. Oku Aug 5, 2017

Offer it with two options:
    1. with service included
    2. without service and reduced price.

If I buy a watch, I always add the costs of a service to the price as I prefer to get a watch serviced by my trusted watchmaker. Thus, offering the watch as is for a reduced price would be more appealing to me. But others might prefer getting a serviced watch that can be worn immediately.

MikiJ, efauser and Jwit like this.
  3. wsfarrell Aug 5, 2017

A recent documented service is always preferable for me. People use so many weasel words, especially on eBay, it's impossible to know the actual condition of the watch. Here is a helpful list of translations for newbies:

* service history unknown = never serviced
    * accuracy not tested = tested, ran 10 minutes/day slow
    * watch runs great = watch runs
    * cannot guarantee waterproof = if it's misty outside, leave the watch at home

4. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 5, 2017

I would suggest offering it as is, with the option of additional cost to have it serviced prior to shipping. Many people may want to have their watchmaker service it to their standards.

MikiJ likes this.
  5. 2ar2c1 Aug 5, 2017

i prefer unserviced, so i can do it. so many claim to be "serviced" but there is (apparently) a wide variation on what that means.

MikiJ likes this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Aug 5, 2017

I'd agree with everything, except for the first.

You can easily test for accuracy, even without a timegrapher. But there is no way you can know the service history of a watch if you were not the first owner, or the previous owner gave you a service record. "Service history unknown" could easily run the gamut between "serviced by the previous owner last week and I didn't know about it" to "never serviced"

Alpha and Jwit like this.
  7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 5, 2017

Offer it at the price you think is fair for your watch in "unserviced" condition. I doubt you will recoup the full cost of a service if you go down that route, and there is no guarantee that if you do have it serviced, the service will satisfy a potential buyer. Personally, unless you price it ridiculously high, I'd resist people who offer you considerably less because they will have to/want to get it serviced.

Describe it honestly and fairly and price it realistically and I don't think it will hang about long.

micampe and MikiJ like this.
  8. herold Aug 7, 2017

Assuming a deal with a person i dont know, i prefer a recent documented service.
    Knowing that, the watches i sold until now were all services prior the deal. On the one hand, it shows the watch is without any technically issue, on the other hand the new owner is provided with a warranty.

If i'd sell a watch without a service, i'd state my opinion regarding the need of a service and therefore the lower price.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 7, 2017

Un-serviced, with an honest statement of running condition.

MikiJ likes this.
  10. watchestelltime Aug 12, 2017

Depends where it was serviced. I would prefer to buy serviced from the official brand service centre.

11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 12, 2017

I believe that's exactly how I offered my 2254 :)

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 12, 2017

Economically better to sell before, better to buy after.

But if it's a Vintage piece and the buyer wants to have a "known" watchmaker perform the service to make sure,it's done right and with the appropriate respect then buy before.