Forums Latest Members

Is Grand Seiko getting better?

1. sgrenald Jan 7, 2021

I got two Spring Drive watches about 8-9 years ago. An SPS003 (pre-Ananta chronograph) and the original Snowflake (SBGA011) While I admit the dial is a little cluttered ("SEIKO" at the top, and "GS" and "Grand Seiko" at the bottom) it's an amazing watch. Now if only I could find a SNR023...

2. Walrus Jan 7, 2021

Have you got them serviced since you owned them? Just wondering if they need to go to Japan and if the cost is similar to a “regular automatic”

3. sgrenald Jan 8, 2021

I don't wear them that often. Probably 2-3 weeks/year. They haven't needed any servicing.

Walrus likes this.
  4. swish77 Jan 18, 2021

This is inaccurate. Grand Seikos fair no worse or better than other luxury watch brands on the secondary market, such as Omega, Breitling, JLC, etc .... with the glaring exceptions being Rolex and Patek. They're in their own special universe on the secondary market, with some AP models there too. Everyone else, more or less, is in the same boat.

Sure, there are exceptions based on models, but 25-30 percent off of retail is more accurate for the secondary market for Grand Seikos, and there are some LE models that retain their retail value very well. I'm in the market for my first Grand Seiko and I've been watching them closely for the last six months or so.

As for the debate about movement finish ... that would be way down the list of priorities for why to purchase a certain watch. The way the dial and case look on the wrist is THE primary reason guys buy watches, with accuracy and the fit, finish and feel other important criteria. I couldn't care less if internal parts I never see have a beveled edge or not.

Grand Seikos are so beautifully finished (dial, hands, case, and to a certain degree, the movement) and they have such a cool history, that they definitely deserve a look. I'm mostly a vintage Rolex guy, with a couple of others thrown in, but Grand Seikos appeal to me specifically because they are NOT Swiss made. And so much Japanese stuff in general is just cool.

Edited Jan 18, 2021
    munichblue, Mugul and Fatsam like this.
  5. sgrenald Jan 19, 2021

I do have to say that while I love my spring drive watches (I think I'm going to start looking for a hi-beat later this year) the movement finishing isn't anywhere near as attractive as the Swiss watches. But as Swish77 said, that's not why you buy a watch.

6. steelfish Jan 25, 2021

If you don’t mind me asking, what size is your wrist? That case size looks to suit you really well

7. dwboston Jan 25, 2021

7.75" - it really does wear well. I like this watch a lot.

8. scapa Jan 26, 2021

I agree. I picked up my first GS (quartz LE) at around 75% of list from a guy who couldn't bond with a quartz. Its finish, from case to dial and handset to bracelet is off the charts for that MSRP, and a decent bit better than the Explorer I paid 3x the price for. My second is an auto and, again, superbly built and finished. They're beautifully-made and finished without exception, and despite the size of the catalogue seem to have carved out a unique slice of the market while staying true to their sometime quixotic design ethos and charm. As the Swiss big dogs get more and more expensive and "limited," I find myself growing more interested in the smaller players, including GS.

Fatsam likes this.
  9. munichblue Feb 20, 2021

Fully agree ... :cool:

F0B69605-B559-4626-BE40-43767A27BD58.jpeg

dwboston likes this.
  10. Fatsam Feb 28, 2021

I have two and find as a brand I don’t like all of them, many are a bit big or uninspiring (to me), but some- this sbgw235 for example- stopped me my tracks the first time I saw it. It’s just over 37mm diameter and isn’t ultra thin but the thickness is not an issue at all, especially considering the box sapphire takes up a good proportion of the thickness. The movement is as decorated as I’d hope for or need (not bothered by the parts I can’t see personally) and the accuracy is very good. The beads of rice bracelet is nice and wears/looks very similar to a Rolex jubilee IMO, very comfy and not overly dressy.

The spring drive (sbga085) was a great alternative to an aqua terra/op/datejust/mk18 that also happened to be cheaper. With very good accuracy and a nice 39mm diameter, the smaller version also had a less fussy/polished oyster style bracelet that I prefer too. I got it for 30% off retail when they changed their dials and don’t imagine I will lose a vast amount when I invariably sell it (I’m not very “keepy” with watches unless they’re gifts).

Whether or not they’re improving I don’t know for certain- the prices are going up and they’re more appreciated, I think the sizing/wearability is starting to improve but they’ve always had smaller models, people possibly just tended to focus on the snowflake, peacock and bigger watches.

C719ECAA-1F1F-441C-9C22-0B0E5DD759AD.jpeg
    B9A64609-B100-4D61-A97E-D944995AA846.jpeg BB9DDB40-CF0A-4532-9F02-58A8809D6E5B.jpeg

11. Rado63 Mar 1, 2021

Some their case designs and dial designs are very unique and they run as good as any other mechanical watch and springdrive is very accurate.

12. Ness Mar 1, 2021

Have not checked all the previous message, so not sure whether this has been already posted.

Highly recommended for Grand Seiko's fans.

Fatsam likes this.
  13. JohnRaz Mar 2, 2021

I really fell in love with the golden variation of the snowflake, too bad, i cant try it for now, there is not any AD of GS in my city, I am afraid than 41 mm is a little too big for my chicken wrist :cautious:
    Screenshot_20210302_074341.jpg

GS has killer pieces for sure with higher finishing level and more reasonnable price than many swiss brands, I keep an eye on them since few months waiting the good one to buy ::book::

Edited Mar 2, 2021
    Fatsam and Lostpuppy116 like this.
  14. Gstp Mar 11, 2021

They all have that "old man limp dick" style, but maybe that is what buyers of a Seiko at Rolex prices is aiming for.

15. Fatsam Mar 11, 2021

maybe we secretly aspire to be longines wearing trolls

16. sgrenald Mar 11, 2021

That's definitely MY aspiration! ::facepalm1::

Fatsam likes this.
  17. Medinatalzahra Mar 12, 2021

While the GS movement is excellent, their styling just does not do it for me. Personally, I much prefer the Prospex dive watches with the GS movement (particularly those for the Japanese Domestic Market). M

18. Fatsam Mar 12, 2021

Yeah I can see that- I like GS for the dressier/GADA watches and regular Seiko for dive/tool watches. I had the mm300 and it was absolutely wonderful, one of the very few models I have sold but miss. Now they have a lot of similar models that are slimmer and half the price too

19. Medinatalzahra Mar 12, 2021

It is interesting that you mention the MM300. I own one (SBDX001) and, while I didn't plan on it, it has become one of my daily bomb-proof wearers. I love it. Great weight and feel; very functional and readable; awesome bezel; and the GS movement. And, obviously, no concerns getting that piece wet. The MM300 is a great watch. While, as you mention. a bit thick and relatively expensive for Seiko, I highly recommend it.

I also own an Emperor Tuna (SBDX011), aka the "Hockey Puck", and while a true professional dive watch (perhaps one of the functionally best ever made for real diving) also with the GS movement, it gets no wrist time. I will post some photos of that one this weekend, and, if anyone has any interest, they can DM me.

20. munichblue Mar 23, 2021

Can you please give me an example of a Seiko Prospex with a GS movement? AFAIK there is no such thing because the 9S movements are exclusively for Grand Seiko. The Seiko 8L35 is based on a Grand Seiko 9S but it’s still none and not used in Grand Seiko watches. More information highly appreciated.