Forums Latest Members

Is Grand Seiko getting better?

1. time flies Aug 3, 2020

I felt the reference was toward Japanese cars. Having owned Subarus for sometime time I've often felt the same toward some of their interior design cues. They seam to always have one or two "funky" things going on. They generally disappear quickly. Anyhow, just my two cents.

have fun
    kfw

2. Masterofkarate Aug 3, 2020

The only think GS needs to do is start making divers, gmt divers and chronos that does not have the wrist present of a rhinosreros. Just think if that godzilla was in 39 not 45mm or their 44.5 mm sportwatches came in 40.
    Just my opinion. I would be the first in line for a cool medium sizes GS "gmt master".

3. sdre Aug 4, 2020

They actually did.

DSCF4374.jpg

4. wkimmd Aug 4, 2020

Yes, exactly. I know Grand Seiko
    Doesn’t make cars. That’s why I posed my question. It was reminiscent of what Hodinkee’s COO Eneuri Acosta said in his letter to the “Hodinkee community” about the travel clock, when he mentioned Asian manufacturing in a dismissive way, as if there was something wrong with that, and as if Asian manufacturing was just all crappy mass production, as if there are no artisans or people dedicated to high end craftmanship in all of Asia. I didn’t know handmade high quality goods were only made in Switzerland and Europe. Racist? Maybe...or maybe not. But at least dismissive and ignorant, I would say, in his effort to somehow justify the cost of that monstrosity.

@dsio is writing about his issues with Grand Seiko, which is fine, and then says “their cars...” I read his comment exactly the way I read Eneuri’s comment, which is why I posed the question. In fact @dsio goes further to say how Europeans are so much more harmonious in their design, implying Europeans in general know how to create beauty, and Asians are...just focused on shallow “coolness?”

So yes, I know Grand Seiko doesn’t make cars, but thanks for clarifying.

5. pongster Aug 4, 2020

When one looks at the classic elegance of the early GS, one can argue that the old ones are better. :)

image.jpg
    Walrus likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2020

The spring drive chronograph is probably the best example. They’ve revised it since but it looked like many people with different tastes designed each part, the pushers didn’t even look like they were meant for the watch as they were massive and odd shaped compared to the case, the dial was oddly proportioned and had this odd for the sake of being different asymmetrical layout that further drew attention and visual attention to the giant pushers on the right hand side, the power reserve was tacked on as an afterthought, then they added a 24h hand with no bezel. Then they gave it this thin dress watch style bezel and dress watch type hands and dial but then oversized screw down style pushers and a sporty bracelet.

Dont get me wrong it’s loaded with great tech, great craftsmanship and great ideas but nobody stopped them and said ok its done now, you can stop. Stop. Stop now. It doesn’t need a power reserve, or a 24h hand, or planet ocean pushers. Put some simply Speedy style pump pushers and an elegant dressy bracelet on it and you’ve got a great watch. Just don’t do an everything watch that looks like a homer car.

This isn’t the only one, it’s just an example of what turns me off them and why they need a creative director that has restraint.

901C5D27-202B-4556-8069-F21C94102426.jpeg

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2020

I was using a fairly broad brush and talking in more general terms about regional design aesthetics which tend to transcend the medium whether they be watches, cars, electronics or any other product.

It’s just a feel you tend to get from products made in different markets, America has its own tendencies too as do different parts of Europe and to that end you can typically look at a car design and tell fairly quickly where it originated and watches tend to be somewhat that way even between German and Swiss watches and movements.

It’s entirely subjective too and different people will have different preferences but yea the influence on design is always present and it isn’t shallow by any means to focus on individual elements that make up the whole in a way intended to delight on the discovery of each detail if you have a market that appreciates it any more than it is shallow for Braun to design clocks and radios with absolute minimalism and a disregard to detail in the pursuit of an overall aesthetic goal.

8. sdre Aug 4, 2020

Mmm I get you.

But on the other hand, there are other models that veer away from this mess/myraid of functions isnt it?

The SBGW231 is one of them.

[​IMG]

Fatsam, michael22, NT931 and 2 others like this.
  9. Stripey Aug 4, 2020

One of the things that drives me insane about Grand Seiko is the proliferation of fonts, and the use of ye olde world font for the main brand in what seems to me to be marketed as a cutting edge technology brand (at least so far as mostly mechanical wristwatches can be designed as cutting edge).

Archer likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2020

That example is GS at their best and I like it for sure

Fatsam, Khamenman, scapa and 2 others like this.
  11. Cephas Aug 9, 2020

I have the black dial version of this watch (had it for 10 years now) and I consider it to be one of the best looking watches in my collection (which includes Patek, Rolex, and Omega, if you are wondering.) I could also point you to A Blog to Watch http://www.ablogtowatch.com/grand-seiko-spring-drive-chronograph-sbgc001-watch-review/ for a point of view similar to mine, and very well explained. Seems these things are subjective.

scapa likes this.
  12. Cephas Aug 9, 2020

What makes you think that? I recently sold some watches including a GS automatic and a spring drive. The watches were 10 years and 13 years old respectively, and I got about 65% of my original purchase price in each case. I agree that Rolex, PP and a few others at the high end, are generally best for value retention or growth.

13. Cephas Aug 9, 2020

Yes there are service facilities in the US and Europe now for spring drive watches, although the more complex watches like chronographs, still go to Japan. I had a spring drive that I decided to send to Seiko Canada for service as I had owned it for 13 years and thought it was about time (sorry). It was still working as well as new (+8 sec/mth). Seiko Canada sent it to Japan and then sent it back directly to my house when it was finished (total about 10 weeks). When I got it back it was within 1 sec/mth, - hard to tell exactly as I have no timegrapher. I don't know of anyone who would send a spring drive off for service every three years, whatever Seiko recommends. Very robust and trouble free watches in my admittedly limited experience.

14. tmad03 Aug 11, 2020

Personally, i think the vintage GS has a great patek vibe.

15. Timetron Aug 15, 2020

Astgonished_Monkey.JPG

But I am still a fan of GS!

Edited Aug 15, 2020
  16. jhross98 Sep 27, 2020

i have been through many GS. . .none of them stuck. always a bit unbalanced. . don't love the cases. . .not that comfortable on the wrist.

i have to say however this one is definitely never for sale. . incredible watch. cannot recommend it highly enough

SBGA 415. one of the most comfortable, most mesmerizing watches i have ever owned

20200926_160501.jpg 20200926_160507.jpg 20200926_161232.jpg

Bauhaus, Jimbo555, robinhook and 3 others like this.
  17. pongster Sep 29, 2020

Oldies have a strong game. :)

B79AFAB4-B9A0-4658-ABB0-F524C31F66FE.jpeg
  18. Bauhaus Sep 29, 2020

Congratulations! Very nice piece.
    The power reserve meter doesn’t detract too much.
    The dial and case design are stunning.

19. jhross98 Sep 29, 2020

Thx!
    Have worn nothing else since buying it
    I wish it was an LE

I am not a power reserve guy but in this case it doesn't detract at all...

Bauhaus likes this.
  20. Fabrice M Sep 29, 2020

I see Grand Seiko on par with Rolex. They are actually more accurate, and they have a very rich history.