Forums Latest Members

Is Getting OEM Omega Parts Normally Complicated?

1. aesguerra Feb 22, 2017

I only ask because I was called today by my closest Omega Boutique and was told that the 1125 bracelet that I had asked them to get for me had finally come in, and when I got home, I gladly furnished credit card and shipping address information. But hours later, I get an email that stated that a regional manager has to approve the sale, and when I called them back to ask why, I was told because it's a new policy to restrict third party sellers from obtaining parts for resell.

I get it... to a point. If I had ordered ten such bracelets, okay. But this was for a single item; I may not be the brightest bulb on the XMas tree, but even I can see that if I was a reseller, that's a lousy way to do business.

This post is threefold. Just...

a.) wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
    b.) giving everyone a heads up on the new policy.
    c.) ranting off for no particular reason other than for my own sanity.

Alex
    San Mateo, CA

2. w.finkenstaedt Feb 22, 2017

This may be a new policy in CA, but here in WA that wouldn't be an issue.

3. ptrkim23 Feb 22, 2017

Sounds like they're just pulling your leg for the fun of it, if it is standard procedure, then I agree with you, that is not a good way to do business. They should have approved it when they placed the order for you.

I don't think any ADs have that issue. I just received my micro adjustment clasp in the mail today. When I ordered my SMP from Rob @ Toppers the micro adj clasp was sold out. I thought it was going to take weeks but it got here in less than a week.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2017

I can't say if this is a new policy going forward, but it would not surprise me. Omega stopped selling parts to 3rd party resellers over a year ago, and this may be a further step to closing off people who are buying and reselling for a profit. Many people still gravitate to these sellers even though they could get better pricing by just going to a boutique or AD in many cases.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 23, 2017

In my limited experience, Omega won't sell parts unless they are installing them onto a watch. Kind of silly for a bracelet, but somewhat understandable for dial, hands, etc. given their stance on parts and third party suppliers.

6. aesguerra Feb 23, 2017

Thanks Archer and oddboy. I agree with the notion is a bit silly for a bracelet. I just hope they don't insist that I personally come in. That's a 4-5 hr roundtrip drive!

7. mmalek1 Feb 28, 2017

I just ordered and had the boutique the adjustable clasp to my speedmaster bracelet without any problems at all. They took the order over the phone and the parts arrived in week. I having my speedmaster regulated at the moment, but I will post pictures when it's ready.

aesguerra likes this.
  8. e46rj Feb 28, 2017

I ordered a Nato from a boutique in Georgia and was told once it was approved by Omega they would completed payment and ship to me. Didn't think too much of it at the time but after I read your post it rang a bell. I ordered the Nato a few months back. I initially thought it was pretty strange but didn't think much of it at the time.

aesguerra likes this.
  9. RC03 Feb 17, 2018

I haven't noticed any issues. I've purchased several times from the (relatively) local Boutique in Chicago. First time was a few extra links, and most recently I bought a PO adjustable clasp + end links + screws and pins to integrate it with my Speedmaster bracelet. Never heard of any additional approvals or anything. The only caveat was they didn't want to install the clasp and PO links to my Speedy because Omega didn't want to create "frankenwatches". That said, they were happy to order them in - and when I couldn't make it to the boutique this week - they shipped me the parts at no additional cost.

Edit: Around the "approval to prevent resellers getting parts" bit above, the reason I may not have encountered it is they identified it as a personal sale since I've chatted with the reps before when I visited, and was having work done to my 3594.50 at the time. Or I may have just gotten lucky.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 17, 2018

Not the first odd ball thing from a CA OB... on the other hand walk into the Orange County one with any PO and they immediately offer to get you the micro adjust clasp.... then again they can’t find the 1171 with endlinks in the system...

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 17, 2018

The micro adjust clasp is way too thick.