Forums Latest Members

Is city commuting by bicycle bad for my watch?

1. Tacobob May 5, 2019

Hi all - I'm new here and it looks like a great forum. I commute by bicycle 30-50 miles per week in New York City. The potholes are enormous and the cars hit back. The kind customer service rep at the Omega boutique said not to worry as long as I'm not playing baseball, but cycling in the city feels pretty rough sometimes. Should I worry about riding with my Aqua Terra 2503.50? forumpic.JPG

The Father likes this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF May 5, 2019

Yes, send it to me for safe keeping.

3. AdInfinitum May 5, 2019

Hail, fellow WIS ;) I know that feeling...

Short of taking public transit (where fellow commuters can properly admire your gorgeous Aqua Terra), I think the safest thing to do would be to secure the watch to the interior of your bicycle helmet before you put the helmet on!

Thrasher36, marco and Tacobob like this.
  4. michael22 May 5, 2019

I think, if you survive, so will the watch.

Tacobob and Foo2rama like this.
  5. makaria indica May 5, 2019

I think you need to ask your therapist, unless you come to the conclusion neurosis has caused you to overthink this....

Thrasher36 and Tacobob like this.
  6. Screwbacks May 5, 2019

in leather strap? nahh.

Tacobob and Vercingetorix like this.
  7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 5, 2019

8. 77deluxe May 5, 2019

Only if you wreck. NATO.

Tacobob likes this.
  9. Spruce Sunburst dial fan May 6, 2019

It’s tripping over my dog that damages my watch :(

ECA757D6-D16A-463D-A1D5-408761EFDBFD.jpeg

superfly and robinhook like this.
  10. neilfrancis May 6, 2019

My advice. NEVER wear a nice watch when cycling. If you go down it is the first thing to hit the ground. I have seen it happen 3 times. Heuer and 2 Rolex. It makes an expensive fall very expensive.

Look at it as an excuse to buy another watch and get a G-SHOCK to cycle in.

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 6, 2019

I would be more worried about my lungs with all those fumes.

12. Professor May 6, 2019

Only problem I've had when cycling or any outdoor activity was a leather jacket with coarse metal zippered pockets. These will eat up an acrylic crystal in short order. I would hazard a guess that metal zippers on pockets are fairly uncommon on fabric jackets these days, though two of my hoodies have metal front zippers.
    I'll guarantee that if you get swatted by a delivery truck and slung under a passing car your watch will be the last thing on your mind.

superfly and Thrasher36 like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 6, 2019

I bike wearing my SKX...

michael22 and neilfrancis like this.
  14. peterkirk01 May 6, 2019

I know this might sound strange but if you have already damaged 3 expensive watches could you not change the watch to your other wrist where it is less likely to get damaged.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 6, 2019

Bicycle accidents can affect all 6 sides of your body (especially with vehicles involved), so the answer to your question is 'no'.

16. peterkirk01 May 6, 2019

You are much more likely where I come from ( we drive right hand drive vehicles) to be hit on your right side unless you are reckless enough to swerve between moving traffic. This would mean wearing a watch on your left wrist it is much less like to get damaged. IMHO.

17. peterkirk01 May 6, 2019

The car hits your right side. No wristwatch there. You fall on your left and hopefully protect yourself. I am being slightly flippant so please bear with me. Thanks.

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 6, 2019

Its a serious business, with all 6 sides involved. Where I come from, cyclists (and pedestrians) are respected, and flippant drivers are punished heavily by law...I think the following video answers your question as I have -> 'no, changing the watch between arms makes 0 difference'

Edit : I firmly believe this answers the OP's post : Yes, it can be detrimental to your watch (and you!). Cycle safe :thumbsup: (and drivers, please respect your fellow human beings on bicycle who are being ecologically friendly and not pumping more carbon monoxide into the atmosphere)

Edited May 6, 2019
    mblease likes this.
  19. Eve May 6, 2019

I know the feeling, i do a lot of cycling throughout the year, going to work 2-3 times a week by bicycle, instead of driving by car.
    I drive half of the way through the forest paths and half on the road, and i must say, the cobblestone road in the city is one of my biggest concerns. Honestly, i dont think its good for the movement, especially if you do it on regular basis. i drive a mountain-bike with a good suspension-fork, and the amount of rattling on my wrists is still pretty high.
    So i allways wear my electronic watch for this kind of activity.

Thrasher36, Tacobob and neilfrancis like this.
  20. neilfrancis May 6, 2019

All were on the wrists of other cyclists and then in bits on the road. I wear a G-SHOCK. :thumbsup:

Thrasher36 likes this.