Forums Latest Members

Is anyone familiar with the French brand 'Linear'?

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

Here's a super compressor that I've never heard of, nor does it show up in any search, other than the current sales ad.

I have my hand on the trigger, but I thought I'd vet this one out first. Any help/knowledge is appreciated :thumbsup:!

It appears to be a true super compressor. The seller states the movement is an ETA; doesn't know which one.

french.jpg french1.jpg french1mvmt.jpg french2.jpg french3.jpg supercompressor.jpg

Edited Jul 6, 2016
  2. Canuck Jul 6, 2016

Can't really see enough of the movement to identify maker and caliber, but I suspect it is a generic A Schild, which is Swiss, not French. So, French case? But a French watch in name only.

3. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2016

Not one I'd be looking at for that price. It's the most basic level of caliber made. Can you get a Bulova Supercompressor for that kind of scratch?

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

Ok.

One of the seller's pics shows what appears to be a watchmaker's parts bin, which makes me wonder if it could be a 'franken'...

5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

I love the hands and the silver dial/black bezel look... but yeah, not a collectable. He wants 600 EU.

I think Bulova usually closer to 800...

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2016

I would agree that looks more like an AS than an ETA...in fact I'd bet money on that...

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

That's good to know... the seller doesn't know his movements... thanks for the help on that. I'm fascinated by the dial, though.

Dial says 'Ra - Swiss Made - Ra', but the case says it's from 1-68. I didn't think radium was allowed after about 1962..:coffee:

Still wondering, though, if Linear is a 'real' brand. Absolutely NOTHING on the internet...

Edited Jul 6, 2016
  8. Canuck Jul 6, 2016

I have a parts cabinet full of "donor" watches that will never be restored. This cabinet likely weighs about 50 pounds. I'll need to think about it, but maybe I'll let you have the whole parts cabinet for the price you'd have to pay for the Linear! As I say, I'd need to think about it!

9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

Dial says Ra - Swiss - Ra, but the case says it's from 1-68. I didn't think radium was allowed after about 1962..:coffee:

10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

Alright, then, I hear ya, it's a 'Franken'!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2016

That's not unusual - back in this time there were literally hundreds of small brands all over the world who were using AS movements (AS were the ETA of the time, only with more variety) that were "assembleurs" who simply mated movements to cases, and had their name put on the dial. I would not assume it is a franken just because you can't find a reference for it.

I would not make assumptions based on this alone - I have seen references made to the use of radium continuing on watches until as late as 1970.

I don't believe there is proof that the watch is a franken personally...

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

Thanks, Al.

I've not ever seen that designation on a dial, thus some of my attraction to this particular watch.

Maybe the French were known to put the Ra designation on their dials during that period...

13. omg smstr Jul 6, 2016

From mikrolisk, it appears that this brand was Italian
    upload_2016-7-6_22-38-12.png

14. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 6, 2016

That's a bit odd, because the model name, 'Plongeurs', is the French word for 'Divers'...

Although, perhaps it was an Italian company making divers for the French market...::confused2::

15. omg smstr Jul 6, 2016

Having something written in French on a dial just bring a little je ne sais quoi to any watch ;)

Vitezi, Fritz and dougiedude like this.
  16. François Pépin Jul 8, 2016

I agree with Archer that none of what has been said indicates it is a francken. But it is still a strange watch! I do not know this brand, and it does not appear in horlogerie-suisse.com, a French speaking forum which has information about every little French or Suiss brand.

The dial is mixing languages: Suiss made, plongeurs, automatic (in French should be 'automatique´). Omega does that as well but it remains a little bit strange.

Edited Jul 8, 2016
    dougiedude likes this.