Forums Latest Members

Is an OMEGA SPEEDMASTER SCHUMACHER worth collecting?

1. Hotwheelbill Mar 17, 2014

I know it is a general question based on price (under 1000) and condition. But is it a watch worth collecting or is it a fad type of watch?

2. ulackfocus Mar 17, 2014

Take a look at the WRUW thread. The amount (or should I say lack thereof) Schumacher models should give you the answer. ;)

Spy likes this.
  3. Hotwheelbill Mar 17, 2014

There seems to be a good amount on Fleabay

4. Hotwheelbill Mar 17, 2014

WRUW?

greenecollector likes this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 17, 2014

6. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 17, 2014

Collectible? Don't think so. Wearable as a "daily beater"? If you like it sure! ;)
    Prefer it to loads of other stuff out there!

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 17, 2014

No

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. roadsterdoc Sep 3, 2014

Schumacher edition Omegas are as collectible as any other watch. Relative value depends on the model. Some were not limited, while others were limited edition runs of 11,000, 6000, 5000, and even 500. All limited edition watches are numbered.

There are other factors unique to the Schumacher Omega that add to its intrigue:

-Formula1 is the most popular worldwide sport next to soccer/football, thus increasing worldwide interest in this particular collectible. IOW, beyond WIS'ers, sports memorabilia collectors, Ferrari fans, persons with German national pride, etc. will seek these watches.

-Michael Schumacher is the most successful F1 driver in the history of the sport, holding seven world championship titles which is unlikely to ever be eclipsed. He also holds the most FIA records overall. Michael Jordon, Pele, Muhammad Ali, Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky: These names are synonymous with their sport, as is Schumacher's.

-MS is retired (twice). He is not likely to return to the sport again. During all his years as world champion he was an Omega ambassador (cheeky title, no?). Correspondingly, there will be more interest in the watches made during this period.

-Only two watch manufacturers produced MS edition watches. MS switched to Audemars Piguet in 2010 for his second career with Mercedes and these years were not record breaking. Pre-owned AP editions range from $44-125K as of today on the chrono24 market site. That's good company for the Omega editions, and offers collectors two tiers of exclusivity.

-Every year with Omega, a new MS version was produced. Within a year there may have been several dial options. This gives a range of choices for different tastes. It also creates the opportunity to collect every MS edition, and dial variant! I know WIS'ers with half a dozen and seeking more. Also the multi-year run (at least seven?) of this series increases overall population awareness. Omega did a lot of advertising with MS. If nobody is aware of an item, there is less interest and decreased value. Not a problem here.

Formula1. The Schumacher domination era ended several years ago. The most winningest F1 driver in history. He still holds the most records, had plenty of controversial behavior, is known to be intelligent, calculating, altruistic (donated millions to charity, natural disaster victims, etc), and loved what he did with a passion that was enjoyed by millions of fans. Omega named his watch series "The Legend" and aptly so.

In conclusion:
    Lots of Schumacher Omegas? Yes! This adds to the general population awareness which will keep the interest alive.
    Collectible? Yes! Some rarer than others.
    Variety? Yes! Something for almost every taste.
    Exclusivity? Yes! No longer made, limited numbers, you do the math.

I will try to post links to websites which review different MS editions. None are complete or current, which to me adds intrigue to this unique Omega edition.

I hope you enjoyed the read!

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

There is a difference between memorabilia and a collectible piece of horology.

At best, the Schumacher is a collectible piece of memorabilia - as described at length by our single post new member above.

It wouldn't generallly be regarded as a a collectible piece of horology for the same reasons that other Speedmater Reduced models aren't.

10. ulackfocus Sep 3, 2014

Those two sentences contradict each other.

I just did. 'Limited Edition' watches, or anything for that matter, aren't so limited when 5,000 of them are made. 50? Yeah, that's limited. Some of those Schumachers aren't even 'limited' which is part of the reason why watch junkies aren't going gaga for them. My calculator says they make a good daily driver but nothing more.

11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

i nearly bought one of these as a daily. Nothing wrong with them they are just not as desirable as moon speedys. Since MS was injured in his skiing accident prices have risen a bit too i have noticed. The Red, Yellow and Blue dialled versions you could get for $1000 if you were quick on the bay but now they seam to be near 2k which is crazy! I spotted one the other day at $3k which is ridiculous.

If any one is interested i have a Ferrari fleece that is a Schumacher one i would like $1100 for it, was $10.

;)

waveguide, Waynepjr, tpatta and 2 others like this.
  12. roadsterdoc Sep 3, 2014

If a collectible piece of memorabilia happens to be a mechanical watch, then it is a collectible piece of horology. This is by definition.
    Whether it represents a significant groundbreaking design, change in the watchmakers philosophy, etc is irrelevant.
    Many highly sought after watches are highly collectible simply because there are photos of Steve McQueen or Paul Newman wearing them.

Respectfully,
    Chris

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 3, 2014

I hate to say it, as a motor racing fan, but they would have become far more collectable if he hadn't pulled through from his sad, skiing accident. There was a sudden rush of these appearing on eBay, back in January.

The up-side is that he did pull through and is on the road to recovery - best wishes to you Michael.

roadsterdoc and Spy like this.
  14. Spy You know my name. Sep 3, 2014

Michael Schumacher is one of a kind. His watch model is not.

D.D., roadsterdoc and DLT222 like this.
  15. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

Speedmaster Autos in general aren't as desired as the Professionals, I had a 2001 and my brother has this 2002 limited to 5555. Cool watches though :)

[​IMG]

16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

17. roadsterdoc Sep 3, 2014

Variety and exclusivity are different concepts. I'll attempt to explain the seemingly contradictory statements:

Variety:
    There were different Schumacher versions made over the years, and even within the same model year different dials were sometimes offered. This provides different designs for different tastes, different price ranges, and different movements.

Exclusivity:
    -Some versions were limited runs (500).
    -Omega was the sole manufacturer during the MS glory years.
    -No more will be made.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wanted to offer a different perspective.

These watches are not any more horologically significant than any other Speedmaster. But that doesn't mean they aren't collectible.

Sincerely & Respectfully,
    Chris

(edited to not sound like too much of a pompous a$$)

18. roadsterdoc Sep 3, 2014

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409794310.653290.jpg

This is my personal Schumacher Speedy special edition on vintage Italian leather strap.
    42mm diameter
    Certified chronometer
    Movement: Calibre 3303, column wheel.
    Limited edition of 500.
    Not released to public, it was only available to the team, friends and family of Michael Schumacher.

Cheers,
    Chris

19. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

anything is collectable if you want to collect it....

But the MS Speedys are generally not as collectable as other speedys, that's proven on here alone. You only have to look on eBay to see just how long some MS pieces have been listed, ended and relisted countless times. That listing for the four is a prime example - over priced, under collected and not worth the money.

IMHO great marketing by Omega!

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

Words from the listing....

"These watches are not to be confused with normal pre-owned pieces as they were part of a collection and are genuine unworn time pieces which can only increase in value. A solid investment for a discerning buyer.

These watches are on offer at not much more than the non-limited edition, new Speedmaster Schumacher Legend 4, which sells at £3320 each and would be without the kudos, desirability or provenance of these 4 certificated limited edition timepieces.

Take advantage of this once in a lifetime offer before we have to split them up, as ironically we will probably achieve a higher price by doing so."

Look hard enough and you will find NOS I'm sure of it - and at a price that the dealer wouldn't say no to offloading!!

HonkiKonki likes this.