Forums Latest Members
  1. markts Jan 19, 2015

Warning...VERY new to watches.
    I received an old watch, brought to a local watch restorer/repairer, who took a look, identified the watch as a Tissot from 1944/45 and showed me the piece I need to track down, which is a (again, I know not a thing about watches, am just starting to learn due to this watch) balance wheel from a Tissot (which I guess is out of round), which he showed me in an old catalog of his as a 12 1/2 L Cal 28.9 (Stock No TI-28.9).

I wrote to a watch company that sells vintage parts parts, and they seemed to reference that this might be the same as a Omega 28.9 wheel, or a Lemania 13CH. So what I'm wondering is...

Can I try to track down either a balance wheel or movement from any of a:
    Tissot Cal 28.9
    Omega 28.9
    Lemania 13CH

Are these all they exactly the same pieces and interchangeable with my watch?
    Thanks everyone!

2. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 19, 2015

Hi, can you provide pictures?

3. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 19, 2015

Hi!
    There is an article here that will provide loads of info. The technical details will be seen at the bottom part of the page:
    http://www.donindiano.net/watches/breguet/type_xx/

In short the Omega 28.9 is a Lemania 13CH. I do not know with Tissot, but since Omega and Tissot both exclusively used Lemania chronograph movements from 1932 and onwards (until the ETA years) I assume that the Tissot is also the same.
    Lemania delivered movements within each reference with different finishing depending on the needs of its clients, hence a Omega and Tissot 28.9 may have different plating and finishing on their supplies of Lemania movements, however the parts tend to be functional interchangeable.

No guarantee given, but I guess you are onto something!

Happy Hunting!
    ;)

4. markts Jan 19, 2015

Thanks all. It looks like nickel, but not sure (don't know anything about the finishing but I'll read that link). I was thinking the watch was a TI since it says that on the book I was shown (see attached), but now I read (thanks Northernman) that the T2 is for 2 pushers, which the watch has.
    If anyone has thoughts on how to find these pieces I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise I am really just searching on the internet for "Cal 28.9 wheel" and hoping to find something on eBay or a forum :)

tissot-book.jpg
  5. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 19, 2015

6. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 19, 2015

7. markts Jan 19, 2015

Thanks.
    The watchmaker/restorer said he is unable to use the existing balance wheel (I trust him - he is well respected...he can't fix it), so I need to find from another watch. I don't know much about the pieces, but he explained that it is just the balance wheel that he requires (which I am guessing the staff attaches to, which I don't believe he needs).
    So my search will continue. I feel like it will rely on a lot of luck to find the same piece in the same finish :(
    But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised in a piece that is from 70 years ago! :)
    I'll keep searching eBay and the forums though, and keep my fingers crossed that something crops up.

On that note...are there companies that actually make these types of parts? Like crazy CAD machines that would be able to make the most intricate of pieces if they are provided the details? (maybe that is the silliest question ever...)

Thanks
    Mark

8. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 19, 2015

Making parts from 3d models is a wet dream of many restorers but not really available yet.
    Where are you located?
    Perhaps a member of the forum can recommend another watchmaker in your area in order to get a second opinion?

9. markts Jan 20, 2015

The watchmaker/restorer I am intending to use is in Manhattan. I also travel to San Francisco, so could use someone in the Bay Area as well if anyone has thoughts. Thanks-