Forums Latest Members

Is all hope lost for my dear Ladies Seamaster 200m ?

1. Helena Feb 10, 2017

To my great despair, the black/gold bezel insert of My 1991 Seamaster 200 m is lost!
    It fell off at a large airport and I only saw it once airborne. Nothing to do. I thought I could find a spare part but after a month of desperate searching at Omega dealers (who have contacted Omega international) and hours reading on-line plus a few calls to "watch experts" here in Stockholm, I am about to give up. It seems I can't even find an entire bezel, not to speak of only the bezel insert . Thats when I found Omega Forums.
    Is all hope lost? I love the watch. It was a gift on my wedding day. The marriage is over but the watch (and the friendship, thankfully) outlived it. Is there even sense in trying to keep that watch alive? Should I instead start to look for a replacement watch?
    Incredibly grateful for your help!
    Helena

omega seamaster.jpg
  2. Bushido Feb 10, 2017

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear your watch decided to eject its bezel at such an inopportune time. It would seem to me that contacting Omega directly with the reference number of your watch and a request for service/restoration would be all that it should take. A quick look on Omega's website lists 7 authorized service centers just in Stockholm. Did any of the authorized dealers you spoke to offer to send the watch back to Omega for repair?

Here is a link, albeit from me searching from the U.S., on Omega's website showing a map with service centers. From there, type in Stockholm. Best of luck!
    https://www.omegawatches.com/stores...center/?no_cache=1&tx_omega_[controller]=Page

P.S. Of course, you are on an Omega enthusiast website. So, to the question of "Should I look for another watch?" The go to answer will always be: Absolutely! There's always room for more watches!

Helena and Jwit like this.
  3. w.finkenstaedt Feb 10, 2017

Service that watch and get a new one! Best of both worlds! [emoji16][emoji1360]

Edit: Omega will definitely be able to fix that. No problem.

Helena likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Feb 10, 2017

Paging @Archer .... I'm sure he'll be able to get the part number you need when he has a moment to spare.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2017

Just need a reference number to start with...

jimmyd13 likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 11, 2017

Already on the road to recovery!:cool:

7. jimmyd13 Feb 11, 2017

@Helena ... there are some fantastic members here who can, and will, help it it's possible but will need the reference number inside the caseback to track down the part you need. If you can have someone take the back off and note the number that would be great.

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 11, 2017

Hi Helena, welcome. Just make sure if you get your watch opened it is done by a professional watchmaker or by knowledgeable Omega certified people because jewelers or people who change batteries can cause damage to the case back.
    I would recommend you wait for @Archer's recommendation and not just "service" the watch.
    Omega is known to practice exceedingly expensive services.
    Also there are members here who may have good ideas about resources in Sweden? Calling @styggpyggeno1 and @marturx.

9. marturx Feb 11, 2017

I know what @styggpyggeno1 will say; wear it Brando style. Bezels are for sissys....

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

I think loosing the bezel is part of the story of that watch. Wear it as-is. If you should come across a bezel, buy it by all means, but the watch is nice too as it is. Your marriage broke, but the friendship remained, let this be the case with your watch too :)

Helena, Jwit, River and 2 others like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 11, 2017

Very thoughtful even without Brando.... I knew you might have a good idea :)

GeorgeBailey2 and Helena like this.
  11. kkt Feb 11, 2017

An Omega bezel would be better, but if that doesn't work out another possibility might be this guy:
    http://www.pocketwatchcaserepair.com
    I haven't used his service so I can't speak from experience but I was refered there regarding another watch.

12. w.finkenstaedt Feb 11, 2017

Omega's services are hardly exceedingly expensive, especially compared to Richemont and Rolex.

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 11, 2017

Everything is relative and depends on people.
    What price bracket did you have in mind for an Omega service?
    In vintage forums the conventional wisdom is that Omega costs an arm and a leg compared to independent watchmakers.

Davidt likes this.
  14. w.finkenstaedt Feb 11, 2017

Omega just updated their vintage pricing for pieces post-1940 starting January 1 this year.

Most everything after that falls into this: chrono are $750, three hand are $550. That includes Swiss services.

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 11, 2017

For sure that's cheaper than what I heard about Tag Heuer.
    And I'm sure that would be worth it if they are the only ones who can replace the missing part.
    However there are good watchmakers who are based in Europe and who charge 3 times less, 5 times less even.

Larry S likes this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Feb 11, 2017

796.1041 if it's the ladies quartz I think Al. :)

Helena likes this.
  17. w.finkenstaedt Feb 11, 2017

So I can pay a watchmaker $100 to service my 8500 calibre Ti PO and they'll be able to refinish it as well at that cost? Can I have a name? And I assume they also give me a 24 month warranty and don't charge for movement parts?

The cost of shipping will easily be made up by the savings versus going to Omega.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 11, 2017

The subject of the thread is not your PO, we're asked for advice about a 1991 seamaster.
    And my advice to the OP was to wait for Al's guidance before she does anything to it.

Edited Feb 12, 2017
  19. pascs Feb 12, 2017

I have this complete bezel but I would think Omega should be able to sort out the insert

approximately 28.1mm OD and 18.7mm ID, but I'm not sure what watch its off

Gold Seamaster bezel.jpg
  20. ConElPueblo Feb 12, 2017

I don't think Omega sells inserts for any sort of watch, only complete assemblies?