Forums Latest Members
  1. slique12 Oct 26, 2017

Just acquired this beautiful piece - 36mm, cal Landeron 39 manual wind. I've been doing some digging on the company and haven't found much at all. Does anyone here have any information they could share?

Thanks!

IMG_7069.JPG

1.jpg

2. ConElPueblo Oct 26, 2017

Very nice! Know nothing of the brand, but must congratulate you on a great find :)
    I love those three different bands, tele- and tachymetre as well as a seconds track, just like my Mido. Very, very nice!

But it begs one question... Extra what, specifically? :D

Jwit and Foo2rama like this.
  3. wsfarrell Oct 26, 2017

Extra Special, duh.

Jwit likes this.
  4. François Pépin Oct 26, 2017

I do not know this brand. But it is probably one of the numerous "emboiteurs" which cased Landeron, Venus and other kinds of Swiss movements. Nice dial and nice Landeron (the 39 is one of my favorite!).

5. slique12 Oct 26, 2017

Thanks! And don't you love the quirkiness of some of these vintage pieces? The "Extra" is a good one:p

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 26, 2017

Actually a "minutes" track my boy. You should know the Swiss don't give away anything for free, even an extra seconds track.

7. mario linus Oct 31, 2017

Very nice dial!

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 31, 2017

That’s one of those dials which should be way to busy with all that info but still works beautifully.

Great pick up!

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2017

I like the Extra on the dial, sort of like Deluxe but not Deluxe, just Extra.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Oct 31, 2017

"Goes to 11" sort of cool... Well, 13 I guess.

11. mario linus Nov 1, 2017

I think hands are not original, they seem quite long, but should not be too difficult to get a better pair

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 1, 2017

Are you looking at the same watch as everyone else?

Hand length is perfect and better then many big name watch brands so called iconic designs.

13. mario linus Nov 1, 2017

I respect your opinion, but I still think hands are longer than needed on that dial

slique12 and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. mario linus Nov 1, 2017

While chrono hand is a bit short

15. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2017

@Foo2rama, I find myself agreeing with @mario linus - the hour hands "ought to" end at the hour markers while the chronograph hand should reach the outer track...

Not saying that the hands on this example aren't nice - I like them a lot :)

slique12 and Foo2rama like this.
  16. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2017

A quick run at googling "IPI Watch" throws up at least three or four examples with a hand set-up like @mario linus says it should look (and they are all the same style) and none with the above shown longer hands...

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 1, 2017

Hmm as I see it the hour hand lands exactly on the inner track and the minute ends perfectly on an outer track, leading to a very readable and balanced dial and hands. In my eyes shorter hands will off balance the piece. I see how the Chrono hand might be a hair short.. but it is perfectly aligned on the outer track in a non angled shot.

I of course defer to you @ConElPueblo but I’d not change a thing on this piece. It’s amazingly well balanced and harmonious in my eyes.

slique12 likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2017

I like them too and when reading the time, intuitively, it is easier with the longer hands. When reading the tachometer, I'd prefer a hand that actually touches the track, not just pointing to it.

Here's a photo of one that seems more correct to me:

[​IMG]
    (link)

Great watch all the same :)

slique12 and Foo2rama like this.
  19. slique12 Nov 1, 2017

I love the deep dive on such an unknown piece - thanks folks for offering your insights:thumbsup:

Here is another picture (from the original seller) in case it helps:
    111.jpg

@ConElPueblo I think you guys may be on to something, though I wish we could find an identical watch to be conclusive. The one you linked to has a roman dial and with these small brands I wonder if they made a conscious decision to change both the dial and handset during production on what looks to be otherwise a very similar watch. Perhaps the uncertainty is part of the charm of owning something so unknown.

Edited Nov 1, 2017
  20. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2017

Sure:

[​IMG]
    (link)

I only showed the ones with the Roman numerals as it was the best available photo.

Here's another one that has the same chrono seconds hand as yours - there is actually a more than good chance of this being your actual watch, given it shares the dark spots at 75-80 and 110-140 on the tachometer and the slight marks in the chrono minutes sundial... The hands could have been replaced when the crown where changed, too.

[​IMG]
    (link)

Really, all I did what google "IPI Watch and look at the images. Hardly a research heavy endeavour ;)