Forums Latest Members

iPad magic keyboard and vintage watches

1. rkman11 Oct 3, 2020

Curious what the experience has been... want to pick one up but that big ol’ magnet scares me a bit!

2. Canuck Oct 3, 2020

Antique watches with steel hairsprings and steel balance wheels Are far more prone to becoming magnetized than are newer watch which use alloy hairsprings and non-ferrous balance wheels. You won’t have a problem, I am fairly certain. Static electricity will magnetize older ones. I have a de-magnetizer which I maybe use 4 or 5 times per year.

rkman11 likes this.
  3. rkman11 Oct 3, 2020

Good to hear. Yeah, thinking about my watch is from the 50s and 60s mostly. Guess if need be I bust out the de-magnetizer.

4. Motik Oct 4, 2020

Hmm... What? ::confused2::

Deafboy likes this.
  5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 4, 2020

I had one, none of my watches got magnetised and I would sometimes leave my ipad on top of my sealed watch box.
    As a keyboard I really liked it, but it broke in the end and I was unsure if it was the connection area that was broken some moved on to a brydge. The brydge is a great keyboard but heavy and there is the Bluetooth lag which you will not get with the magic keyboards.
    Do the newer magic keyboards have a trackpad? As I know there are third party keyboards for ipad that do

6. rkman11 Oct 4, 2020

Yeah, the new magic keyboards have a track pad. I’ve heard great things but priced at $300 - $350 I’d love it not to break easily and not to magnetize my watches. I’m a simple man!

7. Canuck Oct 4, 2020

Years ago, I serviced a late 19th century Elgin ladies hunter cased watch for a lady. Weeks later, he husband phoned me, and I could sense the tension in his voice. He explained how the watch ran sporadically, and when it did run, it kept horrible time. I told him to bring it, which he did. It was badly magnetized. I asked him where she kept her watch, and he told me it was kept on her dresser. I asked about new carpets and static electricity. He told me they had just had new carpets installed in the bedroom, and they received static shocks, regularly. I demagnetized the watch and suggested she not keep it in a carpeted room. He phoned me several weeks later to tell me the watch was functioning perfectly, now that she kept it in the kitchen! Modern watches which use non-ferrous alloys at critical places wouldn’t act like that.